On Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 3:10 AM, Christophe de Dinechin
<dinec...@redhat.com> wrote:

> QEMU qcow2. Host is BTRFS. Guests are BTRFS, LVM, Ext4, NTFS (winXP and
> win10) and HFS+ (macOS Sierra). I think I had 7 VMs installed, planned to
> restore another 8 from backups before my previous disk crash. I usually have
> at least 2 running, often as many as 5 (fedora, ubuntu, winXP, win10, macOS)
> to cover my software testing needs.

That is quite a torture test for any file system but more so Btrfs.
How are the qcow2 files being created? What's the qemu-img create
command? In particular i'm wondering if these qcow2 files are cow or
nocow; if they're compressed by Btrfs; and how many fragments they
have with filefrag.

When I was using qcow2 for backing I used

qemu-img create -f qcow2 -o preallocation=falloc,nocow=on,lazy_refcounts=on

But then later I started using fallocated raw files with chattr +C
applied. And these days I'm just using LVM thin volumes. The journaled
file systems in a guest cause a ton of backing file fragmentation
unless nocow is used on Btrfs. I've seen hundreds of thousands of
extents for a single backing file for a Windows guest.

--
Chris Murphy