On Thu, 2017-07-20 at 14:48 -0700, Omar Sandoval wrote:
> Just to be sure, did you explicitly write 0 to these?
Nope... that seemed to have been the default value, i.e. I used
sysctl(8) in read (and not set) mode here.

> These sysctls are
> really confusing, see https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/sysctl
> /vm.txt.
> Basically, there are two ways to specify these, either as a ratio of
> system memory (vm.dirty_ratio and vm.dirty_background_ratio) or a
> static
> number of bytes (vm.dirty_bytes and vm.dirty_background_bytes). If
> you
> set one, the other appears as 0, and the kernel sets the ratios by
> default. But if you explicitly set them to 0, the kernel is going to
> flush stuff extremely aggressively.
I see,... not sure why both are 0 here... at least I didn't change it
myself - must be something from the distro?

> Awesome, glad to hear it! I hadn't been able to reproduce the issue
> outside of Facebook. Can I add your tested-by?
Sure, but better use my other mail address for it, if you don't mind:
Christoph Anton Mitterer <m...@christoph.anton.mitterer.name>

> > I assume you'll take care to get that patch into stable kernels?
> > Is this patch alone enough to recommend the Debian maintainers to
> > include it into their 4.9 long term stable kernels?
>
> I'll mark it for stable, assuming Debian tracks the upstream LTS
> releases it should get in.
Okay :-)

Nevertheless I'll open a bug at their BTS, just to be safe.

Thanks :)

Chris.