On Mon, Sep 25, 2017 at 03:46:15PM +0800, Qu Wenruo wrote:

> On 2017年09月25日 15:42, Marat Khalili wrote:
> >>Please change the verb to past tense, more strongly signaling success -
> >>i.e. "Created subvolume"
> >What about recalling some UNIX standards and returning to NOT
> >outputting any message when operation succeeds? My scripts are
> >full of grep -v calls after each btrfs command, and this sucks
> >(and I don't think I'm alone in this situation).
>
> Isn't the correct way to catch the return value instead of grepping
> the output?

   It is, but if, for example, you're using the command in a cron
script which is expected to work, you don't want it producing output
because then you get a mail every time the script runs. So you have to
grep -v on the "success" output to make the successful script silent.

> If it's some command not returning value properly, would you please
> report it as a bug so we can fix it.

   It's not the return value that's problematic (although those used
to be a real mess). It's the fact that a successful run of the command
produces noise on stdout, which most commands don't.

   Hugo.

--
Hugo Mills             | If you see something, say nothing and drink to
hugo@... carfax.org.uk | forget