On 2017年09月25日 16:04, Qu Wenruo wrote:

On 2017年09月25日 15:52, Hugo Mills wrote:
On Mon, Sep 25, 2017 at 03:46:15PM +0800, Qu Wenruo wrote:

On 2017年09月25日 15:42, Marat Khalili wrote:
On 25/09/17 10:30, Nikolay Borisov wrote:
On 19.09.2017 10:41, Misono, Tomohiro wrote:
"btrfs subvolume create/delete" outputs the message of "Create/Delete
subvolume ..." even when an operation fails.
Since it is confusing, let's outputs the message only when an
operation succeeds.
Please change the verb to past tense, more strongly signaling success -
i.e. "Created subvolume"
What about recalling some UNIX standards and returning to NOT
outputting any message when operation succeeds? My scripts are
full of grep -v calls after each btrfs command, and this sucks
(and I don't think I'm alone in this situation).

Isn't the correct way to catch the return value instead of grepping
the output?

    It is, but if, for example, you're using the command in a cron
script which is expected to work, you don't want it producing output
because then you get a mail every time the script runs. So you have to
grep -v on the "success" output to make the successful script silent.

What about redirecting stdout to /dev/null and redirecting stderr to mail if return value is not 0?
s/if return value is not 0/if return value is 0/.

The main point is, if btrfs returns 0, then nothing to worry about.
(Unless there is a bug, even in that case keep an eye on stderr should be enough to catch that)

Thanks,
Qu
As for expected-to-work case, the stdout doesn't has much meaning and return value should be good enough to judge the result.

If it's some command not returning value properly, would you please
report it as a bug so we can fix it.

    It's not the return value that's problematic (although those used
to be a real mess). It's the fact that a successful run of the command
produces noise on stdout, which most commands don't.

Yes, a lot of tried-and-true tools don't output anything for successful run, but also a lot of other tools do output something by default, especially for complex tools like LVM.

Maybe we can introduce a global --quite option to silent some output.

Thanks,
Qu

    Hugo.
Thanks,
Qu

If you change the message a lot of scripts will have to be
changed, at least make it worth it.

  --

With Best Regards,
Marat Khaliili