On 9 Jan 2018, at 7:23, Austin S. Hemmelgarn wrote:

On 2018-01-08 16:43, Tom Worster wrote:

Given the documentation and the usage stats, I did not know what options to use with balance. I spent some time reading and researching and trying to understand the filters and how they should relate to my situation. Eventually I abandoned that effort and ran balance without options.
Hopefully the explanation I gave on the filters in the Github issue helped some. In this case though, it sounds like running a filtered balance probably wouldn't have saved you much over a full one.

Yes, it helped. Hugo's email helped too. I now have a better understanding of balance filters.

At the same time, Hugo's email and others in this thread added to my belief that I'm now managing systems with a filesystem I'm unqualified to use.

Tom