A.R. (Tom) Peters wrote:

>> The Linux Professional Institute will not explicitly test on knowledge
of
jargon and acronyms. <<

I don't think that's completely avoidable, Tom - there's bound to be some
areas where jargon is in everyday use and someone who didn't know the
jargon would not be able to perform system administration or support tasks
- and hence, by definition, uncertifiable.

But the other area of difficulty I perceive is with existing documentation
such as HOW-TO's, which often use technical terminology in an inconsistent
or confusing way. Take, for example, disk partitioning, prior to
installation. What's a volume? A drive? A partition? How is a partition
different from a primary partition? Is a DOS D: drive, for example, a
partition? An extended partition? Then what's a logical drive?

Answers, please, on the back of an envelope to . . . But I digress. It
strikes me that this is an area where newbies, especially, get into
trouble, we all take a deep breath before pressing "w" in fdisk, and the
terminological confusion isn't helping. Before releasing  course materials,
I'd need to know what the test author thinks the above terms mean.

Best,

--- Les [http://www.lesbell.com.au]