On Mon, 26 Jul 1999, A.R. (Tom) Peters wrote:

> leave it to their marketing requirements.  Maybe we can establish a
> policy, like changing to a new exam whenever 20% (or whatever) of the test
> objectives have changed.  Such a policy can be used for the other exams as
> well.

I think you're on the right track with this, Tom, but I don't want to
establish specific quantitative conditions for updating the exams. This is
a psychometrics issue which should be decided based on standard practices
in the testing field.

A while back I suggested a two-part test for when to update exams. (1) All
exams should be updated at least every 1-2 years for security and other
reasons. This is SOP in professional testing. (2) A judgement should be
made about whether an update is needed in the period between this time.
This relates to your suggestion above that we update the exams whenever a
certain percent of the content changes. But it really comes down to a
judgement call that will need to be made by psychometricians and subject
matter experts; it should not be dictated by a hard policy.

-Scott