> Hello,
>
> One of the problems my employer has about using Linux in an embedded
> project is the boot time.  Is it possible to bootup a minimal linux
> system from flash memory to the login prompt in under 5 seconds?  How long
> to get a X-server running?  Are there any tricks one can use to get faster
> boot times?

The fastest linux to power up that I have ever seen is my Toshiba
laptop.  It doesn't boot, but keeps system ram intact.  So I power it
up and it is exactly where it was when I shut it off.  Well, except
that I have to reset (/etc/cardctl reset) the PCMCIA lan card.

Does this help?

-- cary

Cary O'Brien
[EMAIL PROTECTED]