Jeremy Impson writes:
> /etc/HOSTNAME doesn't need to be writable (higly distribution dependent).

It does if you're using DHCP to set the hostname, which is a Good Thing to do
for autoconfiguring embedded boxes. Running a DHCP server is even worse,
because dhcpd wants to write its leases file in /etc.

> Use the -n argument to mount so it won't write to /etc/mtab.

This sounds good though.

> As far as stuff in /dev, I'm not really sure.  Your /var idea would work,
> assuming you can get it mounted before you need things in /dev.  But then
> this defeats the idea having everything read-only so that no fsck needs to
> be done.

If it's copied to a ramdisk or a non-persistent partition, it's still OK; it's
pretty ugly though, so I'm looking for a better alternative.

Thanks,
Graham