Oliver Xymoron writes:
> Not necessarily. Link /dev/ and /tmp to /var/dev and /var/tmp
> respectively. Symlink individual files from /etc to /var/etc as well if
> need be. Create the appropriate nodes in /var/tmp for booting - /dev/hda,
> /dev/ram, etc. During boot, dd a disk image into a ramdisk and mount it
> over /var. The original r/o contents of /var will now be hidden behind the
> ramdisk mount.

This is (almost) exactly what I do now. It works, but it's pretty ugly. The
overlay filesystem someone mentioned sounds like a neater solution. Symlinking
individual files from /etc to /var/etc worked fine until I tried running
dhpcd, which wants to do a rename on its leases file in /etc. Writing its
stuff in /etc is pretty nasty anyway though, so I may end up recompiling it to
put the leases file(s) under /var somewhere.

Thanks,
Graham