"Mark Hatasaka" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I guess I forgot to mention that a big goal of Hello World Linux would be
> the ability to add back functionality such as SSH2 or FTP in a controlled
> manner.  This would necessitate keeping the sysvinit procedures intact.

No it doesn't.  Sysvinit is a convenience item only.  The simpleinit
in linux_utils is much smaller; and you can probably pare it back some
too (though the gain would be minimal).

I've done a libc5 system in a little over 3MB on a 4MB Sandisk IDE
flash drive, (older) kernel and all.  Paring back from a distribution
is a good way to find out what files are required, but building up
from scratch is the way to go IMHO.

Doing it again I'd use Debian tools for the whole thing, making a
from-nothing distribution incompatable with Debian packages but using
the Debian package management mechanisms.  And I'd arrange to do
all packagish things for the embedded filesystem in a parent
filesystem (on a parent computer), so none of the Debian support files
need to be on the target.
--
Steven Work
Renaissance Labs