> "Mark Hatasaka" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > I guess I forgot to mention that a big goal of Hello World Linux would be
> > the ability to add back functionality such as SSH2 or FTP in a controlled
> > manner.  This would necessitate keeping the sysvinit procedures intact.
>
> No it doesn't.  Sysvinit is a convenience item only.  The simpleinit
> in linux_utils is much smaller; and you can probably pare it back some
> too (though the gain would be minimal).

Right.  You can easily do without sysvinit.  All you need is
/etc/inittab and a couple of scripts.  That's what I use on
some installation floppies that we use.  Init has the nice
property of restarting processes after the fail (if you like),
so for services you can write a pure c program that listens for
a connection, (i.e. socket/bind/listen/accept) handles the data
transfer, and then exits.  Init will restart it.  The only gotcha
is that init gets upset if the process respawns too fast.  It
gives up for a few minutes and tries again.

Note that if you are really hardcore you can replace init itself.
Never done this myself, though.

[snip of some sound advice]

-- cary
Cary O'Brien