I've been wondering about that too. My Award BIOS support Legacy USB and I have
installed and operated RH 5.1 with no problems from a USB keyboard.  So, the
BIOS sets up the USB hardware and either:
1. loads key codes into the keyboard controller chip -or-
2. stuffs key codes into the BIOS interface buffer

Both keyboards work at the same time to!  So far, Award (now Pheonix) seems to
be the only BIOS that supports this feature.  Seems like it was a hack provided
by a consultant to Award and other BIOS vendors are scrambling to provide the
same functionality...

Also, I've seen the kernal configurator provides some features like power
management and thermal support.  These are highly chip-set specific functions
that are provided to Windoze through a standard BIOS interface but I'm not sure
how Linux knows about them...

Anybody else have any clues as to whats going on here ??

Thanks,
Ralph Stickley
Datalux, Corp.