Another question on this subject: Is there any way to trap the event
of user pressing (and holding down) the OFF button? The good thing to
do would be to e.g. run a script unmounting all filesystems and
shutting down cleanly.

Maybe something could be done with the APM deamon (apmd)?

Regards,

/Edin       <º))))><

"A man flattened by an opponent can get up again.
 A man flattened by conformity stays down for good."
 (T. Watson Jr.)