Edin Bektesevic wrote:

> Another question on this subject: Is there any way to trap the event
> of user pressing (and holding down) the OFF button? The good thing to
> do would be to e.g. run a script unmounting all filesystems and
> shutting down cleanly.

We have considered such shutdown button in the beginning. It can be
implemented very simply. Monitor an input (e.g. an input of an unused
serial (e.g. DCD) or parallel port.
Connect the "shutdown button" to this input. Run a shutdown sript as
soon as the state on the input changes. The power supply is connected
via a relay which is held up by an output
(e.g. an output pin of the unused serial port (e.g. DTR). At the end of
the shutdown script, bring this output (and thus the relay down) and
thats it. The relay is switched on by both the switch and the output
(logical or). etc.. So before booting the switch

HOWEVER: this does not help you when you pull the plug instead of
plipping the switch.
So we abandoned the idea :)
Now we just mount rw a little partition for configuration data and make
sure it is written immediately. The rest stays ro.

Jos Beck