Bill White:

>Is it possible to run with a ramdisk, and then every 20-30 minutes or so
>copy the relevant files from the ramdisk to the flash disk?  If the set
>of files the user can change is fixed, you can do this with a simple
>script.  If the file system is small, your copy program could traverse
>the ramdisk tree, and copy only those files whose modtimes have changed,
>or which have been created since the last copy.  Since it is traversing
>a ramdisk structure it would be reasonably fast.

The question is what information you want to keep.  Is this a 2 MB database
file, or a 300 bytes configuration file?

Most embedded systems only need one or two files to be persistent AND
modifiable.  It's been mentioned by other people before, but establishing a
small partition on the drive and writing directly to, say, /dev/hda4 is
actually not a bad way to go.  We've used this for a security monitoring
facility and have been very pleased with its reliability.