On Wed, 28 Jul 1999, Vidar Hokstad wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Jul 1999, Warren Postma wrote:

[snip]

> > - I would also like to have my kernel detect a VGA card and run with
> > it, or automatically revert
> >   to a serial console at 38400 bps if the VGA card is not detected.
> > Can anyone help with that?
>
> Linux 2.2 does that for you. Look at the serial console documentation -
> it's in there (disclaimer: I haven't tested it myself).

I don't believe it automatically does this for you.  (The documentation is
a little vague.)  You have to tell it to use the serial console.  You can
tell it to use both VGA and serial, and it will gracefully fail on
whatever isn't present.  I guess this is equivalent, except that if both
are present it will use both.

If you are worried about more than the kernel messages, some way that
userspace can be told what the kernel is using as console, so it can run
getty (or whatever) appropriately, would be a nice feature.

According to the docs, there is some code that determines what device
should be "official" /dev/console if multiple consoles are enabled.  It
first tries VGA, then serial. So it could be modified to set
/proc/which_console, or some other way to tell userspace what happened.

--Jeremy

Jeremy Impson
Network Engineer
Advanced Technologies Department