I too have modbus in mind. I'm converting over my rtu source to linux. I
like using a hardware timer for rts timeout on pc apps. Take a look at
some of the rs485 converters that have this built in. You do have to
strap the timeout to match baud rate.

Is anyone doing wireless linux? I just finished a spread spectrum app and
am very impressed. Used "digital wireless" [norcross,ga] module.

I guess modbus/tcp-ip is next.