"Motiwala, Yusuf Ibrahim (Yusuf)" wrote:
> Since the linux kernel is protected by GPL, would not it required for
> BlueCat to release the complete source without any fee? same  can be
> asked for lineo.

A common misconception.

The GPL does not require someone to release their software without any fee.
It requires that:

a) Anyone to whom they give the object code also have a right to obtain source
code
b) They may not prohibit people from further modifying and redistributing the
software.

> Also, from user point of view, if I buy some RTOS based on  linux, modify
> to suit my requirement and put into my application. Again, GPL requires
> to release the source code. Am I right? This may not be possible in many
> cases. Considering this, is it wise to go for GPL protected OS in commercial
> development ? Any idea.

In some cases it might be an issue but in most cases it is not.  The GPL
requirements can be satisfied by including an offer in the product manual or
registration card allowing customers to obtain the source code.  You do not
have to provide the source code for free--you can charge a reasonable
copying/distribution fee.