Magnus Lyckå wrote:
> Which still means that as soon as you have sold a single copy, you have no
> legal monopoly on your source code. In other words it will just be a matter
> of time before it's generally available.

Absolutely true.  I was just pointing out the difference between this and
being forced to give the software away for free.  The GPL does not force
anyone to give anything away for free.  You are permitted (even encouraged) to
sell it for a reasonable price. But since you don't have a monopoly, you are
forced to keep this price reasonable.

> Red Hat has still to make a profit--so far their sales have not covered
> their costs (disregarding their sales of stocks of course ;-).)

Actually this isn't quite true.  Red Hat was profitable for a time before they
began to spend more agressively to expand and position themselves for an IPO.