Hi list, I'm new here and a Linux beginner, yet I decided to skip the
introductory Linux stuff because before delving further into it I need
to know if the following is possible:

In short: a powerful, flexible, portable, customizable software
synthesizer

In length: although laptops have advanced in recent years, and low
latency audio interfaces are available or on the horizon, I still feel
the need for a highly integrated music machine.
Because:
1. it should be even smaller, possibly to the point where I can carry it
around on stage (or wilderness); operating it on batteries; with
wireless sound transmission; or speakers on my back
2. I want to connect sensors to an on-board multi-channel 12bit-ADC
rather than connecting them to yet another little sensor box with yet
another wall wart talking yet again via MIDI (duh) to yet another
MIDI-USB interface connected to a laptop
3. same story for audio interfaces; options for multi-channel, digital
I/O, high quality conversion preferred

I know that 'small' and 'powerful' is a trade-off - I need at least
something as fast as my G3/233 PowerMac.
I'm actually more concerned about the hardware flexibility, i.e. what
board would allow for the addition of the converters mentioned above.

when I play I don't need the whole dev system with, i.e. keyboard,
mouse, harddisk, monitor. So I guess I need a Linux kernel small enough
to find into flash. And then patch it for low latency. Or use a realtime
version.

what else ?
I heard that PPC has better MHz/watts ratio than x86. Right ?
32bit-floating point is a must
sufficient RAM (>=32MB)
Ethernet, serial
did I mention that it should be cheap...

sorry if this all sounds a little weird, but my familiar mailing lists
(music-dsp & linux-audio-dev) are not that much into 'embedded'

thanks for listening, let me know if I should get more specific
Sukandar