Hello,
You indicate that /etc/pam.conf is correct, but what about the other
configuration data used by the various pam modules that you may have
included in the stanza for "login"?
For instance, pam_securetty.so uses (by default) /etc/securetty, and
pam_console.so uses (by default) /etc/security/console.perms. In other
words - have you included all necessary configuration data?
Another thing - do you have all required pam modules that you specify in
the login stanza, and did you have the solibs needed by "login"
( for instance, RH6.2 login needs [among other libs]: libpam.so and
libpam_misc.so)? I might suggest that it may be simpler, if you really
don't need the strength of pam, to just use something such as TinyLogin.
This is small and can use just shadow (or nonshadow) password
authentication  and incorporates su, login, getty, passwd, adduser,
addgroup, and several other utilities into one executable. This can save
you additional space and complexity.
Good luck.
George

--
George Fouse, President  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Quantum Technology Associates