Hello Guennadi,

On Thu, 12 Apr 2001, Guennadi Liakhovetski wrote:
> Here's my next question: how generally bad is writing applications for
> embedded systems in C++? Problems - compiling (cross-compiling?),
> size?

Well, it depends :-) What exactly do you define as an embedded system?
"Embedded" does only mean that the fact that there's a computer inside of
"something" isn't visible from outside. It does neither mean what
architecture you are using nor that you have restricted ressurce
requirements. I've even embedded a 500 MHz PIII in measurement systems and
you can also think of embedding a whole cluster.

So if you think of systems with low memory and flash ressources C++ could
be a problem - you need at least the C++ libraries to run the program
(which can have several MBs on a normal Linux PC).

> And in general - to what extent is it possible to write applications
> for embedded systems? My understanding is that they are VERY
> different...

True! It completely depends on what application you have, what hardware,
space, environment influences etc.

> And what kernels are mainly used in ES's? 2.0.x,

Yes,

> 2.2.x,

Yes,

> 2.4.x?,