Hello Guennadi,

On Thu, 12 Apr 2001, Guennadi Liakhovetski wrote:
> Here's my next question: how generally bad is writing applications for
> embedded systems in C++?

It depends, as I told you, on what you think an "embedded system" is. You
can make yourself an impression of the size of a C++ program if you simply
write a test "hello world" application, compile it and link it
statically. After stripping it you can have a look at what's possible.

> Problems - compiling (cross-compiling?), size?

Cross compiling is no problem as long as there is a GNU toolchain for the
target you are developing for. If your application is size sensitive you
have to take special care what libraries you use (e.g. something like
uClibc instead of glibc).

> And in general - to what extent is it possible to write applications
> for embedded systems? My understanding is that they are VERY
> different... And what kernels are mainly used in ES's? 2.0.x, 2.2.x,
> 2.4.x?

It's a little bit difficult to help you with the right answers as long as
you don't tell us what you want to do. In general it is possible to embed
everything from a 68EZ328 microcontroller with 16 MHz and small memory up
to let's say a 8 Processor data processing cluster with several GB of RAM.

Robert