Hi there,

I am trying to follow http://linux-embedded.com/faq.php3
(Section "Mounting root file system read-only") to create
an embedded port of linux on a read-only partition, but I must be
doing something wrong 'cause it hangs with the usual "can't find an
initial console"

For this example everything is rw, as the first stage of testing.

I started of a small working (rw) linux systemm in a partition of the
HD. I then created a ramdisk which holds the file structure of /var,
which is then mounted on start up by /rc.init - this is the file
called upon start up by init, since inittab  has

si::sysinit:/rc.init

*** rc.init <snip>
mount -n -o remount,rw /  ### as I said, everything rw for simplicity
mount -o loop /var_ramfile /var
***

That's all ok, it boots and works.
Next state: include /dev. I created /var/dev in ramdisk, copied everything
from /dev into it, "cp -a /dev/* var_ramfile_mount_point/dev"
and then "ln -s /dev /var/dev" as suggested in the faq - os should I say,
as I understood it. 'cause the problem is when / is mounted, /dev is linked
to /var/dev, which has not been mounted yet, and I guess init needs /dev/console
as the controlling terminal, and can't find it, rightly.

I believe this is the problem, but can't see the solution :-(

A helping hand would be most welcome. I'll be glas to supply +info on setup
if needed. TIA

Jaime