Hi Michael,

As is always the case, after trying N possibilities and not getting any to work,
I sent the email asking for help only to figure out the sol afterwards, which goes
along the lines of what you have suggested.
The key is that I was creating the ramdisk "off-line", not on rc.sysinit, and then
simply mounting it on start up from rc.sysinit. Obviously, /dev being symlinked
to /var/dev wasn't finding /dev/console, since it had not been mounted yet! silly,
really, but there you go, I did not realise :-)

Thanks for your help.

On more question: can't get mtab to get updated. I have /etc/mtab symlinked to
/var/etc/mtab, as suggested in "http://linux-embedded.com/faq.php3";, section
"Mounting root file system read-only", but it does not update.
I've read somewhere else I can also replace the mtab file with the /proc version,
i.e., include the following in rc.sysinit:

rm /etc/mtab ; ln -s /proc/mounts /etc/mtab

and it seems to work, but I am puzzled as to why a symlink from the "ro" /etc/mtab
to the "rw" /var/etc/mtab does not work.

Getting there ... slowly getting there

Thanks for help and suggestions. Bye,

Jaime