On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 03:46:37PM -0700, Randy Katz wrote:
> To clarify, I was not seeking a quick response. I just noticed the
> threads I searched
> were NEVER answered, with the problem that I reported. That being said
> and about standby:
>
> Why does my node come up as standby and not as online?

Because you put it there.

The standby setting (as a few others) can take a "lifetime",
and usually that defaults to "forever", though you can explicitly
specify an "until reboot", which actually means until restart of the
cluster system on that node.

> Is there a setting in my conf file that affects that?
> Or another issue, is it configuration, please advise.
>
> Thanks,
> Randy
>
> PS - Here are some threads were it seems they were never answered, one
> going back 3 years ago:
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-ha@lists.linux-ha.org/msg09886.html
> http://www.mail-archive.com/pacemaker@oss.clusterlabs.org/msg07663.html
> http://lists.community.tummy.com/pipermail/linux-ha/2008-August/034310.html

Then they probably have been solved off list, via IRC or support,
or by the original user finally having a facepalm experience.

Besides, yes, it happens that threads go unanswered, most of the time
because the question was badly asked ("does not work. why?"), and those
that could figure it out have been distracted by more important things,
or decided that, at that time, trying to figure it out was too time
consuming.

That's life.

If it happens to you, do a friendly bump,
and/or try to ask a smarter version of the question ;-)

Most of the time, the answer is in the logs, and the config.

But please break down the issue to a minimal configuration,
and post that minimal config plust logs of one "incident".
Don't post your 2 MB xml config, plus a 2G log,
and expect people to dig through that for fun.

BTW, none of the quoted threads has anything to do with your experience,
afaiks.

> On 5/19/2011 3:16 AM, Lars Ellenberg wrote:
> > On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 09:55:00AM -0700, Randy Katz wrote:
> >> ps - I searched a lot online and I see this issue coming up,
> > I doubt that _this_ issue comes up that often ;-)
> >
> >> and then after about 3-4 emails they request the resources and
> >> constraints and then there is never an answer to the thread, why?!
> > Hey, it's not even a day since you provided the config.
> > People have day jobs.
> > People get _payed_ to do support on these kinds of things,
> > so they probably first deal with requests by paying customers.
> >
> > If you need SLAs, you may need to check out a support contranct.
> >
> > Otherwise you need to be patient.
> >

> > > From what I read, you probably just have misunderstood some concepts.
> >
> > "Standby" is not what I think you think it is ;-)
> >
> > "Standby" is NOT for deciding where resources will be placed.
> >
> > "Standby" is for manually switching a node into a mode where it WILL NOT
> > run any resources. And it WILL NOT leave that state by itself.
> > It is not supposed to.
> >
> > You switch a node into standby if you want to do maintenance on that
> > node, do major software, system or hardware upgrades, or otherwise
> > expect that it won't be useful to run resources there.
> >
> > It won't even run DRBD secondaries.
> > It will run nothing there.
> >

> > If you want automatic failover, DO NOT put your nodes in standby.
> > Because, if you do, they can not take over resources.
> >
> > You have to have your nodes online for any kind of failover to happen.
> >
> > If you want to have a "preferred" location for your resources,
> > use location constraints.
> >

> > Does that help?

: Lars Ellenberg