On Thu, Jun 17, 1999 at 08:57:01PM +0000, Danny Arseneau wrote:
| Ever since I've recompiled my kernel for ax25 support, I keep getting
| some error messages during bootup and whenever I load the hdlcdrv and
| soundmodem drivers.
| The messages are as follows;
|
| modprobe: can't locate module net-pf-4
| modprobe: can't locate module net-pf-5

So long as things are still working despite these messages, you can
turn them off by adding lines like this to your /etc/conf.modules:

alias net-pf-4 off
alias net-pf-5 off

They are appearing because the kernel is searching for a network
protocol/driver/module for protocol families 4 and 5.  I'm not sure
if it's normal for these to be failing (I think it is), but I get
similar errors on my system as well, and turning them off by way of
the alias lines above doesn't seem to hurt anything.

| I've grepped through all of the kernel source files and I can't find any
| referencs to the text 'net-pf-4' or 'net-pf-5'. The only place I found

Check net/socket.c line 592 (in sock_create)

        if (net_families[family]==NULL)
        {
                char module_name[30];
                sprintf(module_name,"net-pf-%d",family);
                request_module(module_name);
        }

This is why I think it's normal for these to fail if your system lacks
support for the (unneeded?) protocol families.

Hope this helps.

David

--
 == David Nesting WL7RO Fastolfe [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://fastolfe.net/ ==