Hello Richard, hello all,

[listen only as root]

> > > This is kind of a tricky one.  Do you make ordinary users be able to
> > > access listen or do you not?  There is plenty of argument for and
> > > against this approach.  I have gone the conservative path and made it
> > > non-setuid.
> > >
> > > If you really what users to use it, then you can either:
> > > 1) chmod u+s /usr/bin/listen
> > > 2) Use sudo on it
> > > 3) Use suidmanager on it.
> >
> > Since the sockets are only available for programs with root
> > permissions, this all is clear. But imagine the following situation:
> >
> > I work with my Linux box in the normal way using some user
> > account (as it is recommended everywhere).
> > Of course, I also want to be able to use Packet Radio from this
> > user account since it doesn't seem to be good to do this from the
> > root account.
> > To see who is QRV I need to monitor the QRG, though.
>
> mheard [-d cmns] [-n] [-o cfpt] [-v] [port ...]
>
> Or simply mheard <port> you can then see who is on channel.

Hmm, and how do I include this in some certain program? Excuse
me, but I do not want wo waste all my consoles when I do Packet
Radio.

> > So it seems there must be a solution like the following available to
> > avoid setting the whole terminal program UID root:
> >
> > On the socket listens a daemon with UID root that could be started
> > upon system boot or with sudo or something else to assure its root
> > permissions. The terminal then must be able to talk to this daemon
> > to get information about the actual traffic on the QRG.
> >
> > Is this a suitable approach or do I miss something here?
>
> Yes, a small point, when a node has multiple ports at different speeds a
> slow speed user starts a listen session on a fast link, say 19k2  he is on
> 1k2, just imagen what would then happen.
> Its happend to me and has locked up my machine, which uses an scc card.
> Of cource that is an extream case.

Yes, yes, here I must apologize. I took listen only as an example
for other programs with the same funtionality on _client_ side, eg.
for monitoring your local QRG for who is QRV.

I _didn't_ want to start a listen on some remote server. This
obviously does not make any sense. I wanted to start some sort of
listen program on my _local_ box, ie. the one I sit in front of, as
user without root permissions.

Cheers,

Gerd