On Fri, 20 Aug 1999, Gerd wrote:

> Hmm *thinking*...
> I thought you need root permissions in order to open the socket?
> Did you have a version of listen that used to have only that part for
> opening the socket set to UID root?
> How about two different versions of a listen utility? So it would
> depend on the remote server's admin whether stupid users are able
> to trash the links or not ....:)

I think you are missing the point. In the new ax25-tools nothing has been
changed in listen (well some formatting changes have been done but
anyway). It's just that "make install" doesn't set the setuid bit anymore.
Craig gave the explanation why and I think it makes perfect sense.

BUT. You have the root password so you can do whatever you want. If you
want everyone to be able to "listen" then just set the setuid bit. By
playing with the file ownerships and permissions you can even make it so
that only certain regular users can "listen". This is Linux, all that is
possible.

--
--- Tomi Manninen / [EMAIL PROTECTED] / OH2BNS @ OH2RBI.FIN.EU ---