Hello,

[...configuration snipped - seems to be OK]

> No error messages whatsoever. Still the device /dev/bc0 (51,0) remains
> dead. I also read about the new devices bcsf0 etc., but those do not exist on
> my system. I'd like to create them using mknod, however I do not know which
> major number to use.

Why do you want to use /dev/bc0 ?
They are obsolete.

Use the new network devices bc0... or bcsf0 on kernel 2.2.x just
like they were representing network cards.
You can work with ifconfig and the like in the usual way (refer to
the Ethernet- and NET3-HOWTO if this sounds strange to you).

> The bottom line is: I would like to ask you to help me. :-)

Since it seems that you are from Germany, the german version of
the AX.25-HOWTO at http://www.ardos.de/gerd/axhowto might help
you further. It is also available for download as
http://www.ardos.de/gerd/axhowto/DE-AX25-HOWTO.tar.gz .

Cheers, 73

Gerd