Hi James.

I wish I could offer my time tested and bulletproof solution, but I
never deleved into Sendmail further than getting it to route my local
and ISP mail  correctly.  Perhaps my config files might give you
some ideas.

Just this last week I found something in my old Slackware '96 that
wasn't Y2K compliant.  On 11 January Sendmail (8.8.8) began reporting
name server lookup failures on my ISP's mail server.  Everything
thing else worked fine and my ISP mail was delivered fine, but outgoing
SMTP mail simply stopped working.  So, rather than fight it I switched
this box over to Debian Slink (2.1) to match my laptop and quit
fighting the subtle differences between the two.

At this point I haven't delved into the default Debian MTA Exim further
than getting local mail routed and having my ISP mail routed correctly.
It looks to be an easier program to learn than Sendmail, and I'll have
to start working with it once things settle down from the OS switch (still
getting my favorite apps back and running in the new glibc env).

Btw, if you're interested, I have a copy of O'Reilly's Sendmail book (a.k.a.
"the bat book") I purchased in late '98.  It covers up to version 8.8.7 I
think and seemed current for 8.8.8.  Although I understand some config
methods have changed with 8.9.x I'd bet it would still be close enough
to be useful along with docs from the sendmail site outlining the changes.
I used a highlighter on it in a few places and made some notes in pencil
in it, but not too many otherwise it is in excellent condition (hasn't been
dunked in coffee!).  I'd be happy to part with it for half of new price if
it'd be useful to you.

Also, let me know and I'll send you copies of my old config files.

73, de Nate >>

--

 Packet   | N0NB @ WF0A.#SCKS.KS.USA.NOAM       | "None can love freedom
 Internet | [EMAIL PROTECTED]                   | heartily, but good