[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Nielsen) writes:

> I was thinking that running a 'cache-only nameserver' with a local
> zone file for 44.xxx might work for this application.  As an
> alternative, is there a way to configure sendmail (or exim, postfix,
> qmail, etc.) to look at /etc/hosts first before trying a DNS lookup?

postfix can have dns lookups disabled.  Probably for the .ampr.org domain
you can simply use a "transport" entry which looks like:

ampr.org        :server                         # route through mx of server
                                                # ampr.org domain only
.ampr.org       :server                         # route through mx of server
                                                # ampr.org and subdomains
ampr.org        :[server]                       # no dns lookups on server
                                                # direct to ip of server

You can also send to a different port other than smtp (if required),
or if necessery use the pipe transport which allows you to send the
message to an arbitrary command for execution. (ie you don't need to use
smtp).  Postfix has lots of other goodies too.

The other mailers probably allow similar things, and sendmail is more
flexible if you can work out how to configure it :-)

Simon
--
Simon J Mudd, Madrid SPAIN    Tel: +34-91-408 4878    email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]