At 02:15 PM 1/22/00 +0100, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Mandrake and its derivates as well as stampede and some other
>distributions compile all packages with pentium optimization and will
>not work on older machines. SuSE 6.3 ships with a pentium boot kernel
>on CD1 which will not run on anything below pentium (even not on
>early cyrix "6x86" pentium clones which dont have a TSC) but has a 386
>kernel on CD2. So all this doesn't depend on what "Linux" supports but
>what the distributors decide to do. If you get the sources from the
>net and compile everything without pentium optimizations you can run
>linux 2.2 even on 6MB 386sx I guess. Older distributions will work as
>well.  Or use a mini-distribution such as tomsrtb or trinux.
>
>73s Hans-Peter

I use SuSe 6.3 with my Cyrix 6x86-250. I made a boot disk using the generic
kernel, as well as a modules disk since I
use an old SBPCD CR-562b 2x CD. It worked great! Only problem I had was
compiling the new kernel. For some reason, is I ran make bzdisk or make
bzimage, it created a vmlinux rather than a vmlinuz. Once I got "smart" and
did make bzlilo, it worked great. Of all the distributions I have used, I
like the SuSe ones best. I can't even get Mandrake 7.0 to install.

73 de Jim, KI7AY

  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  http://www.clipper.net/~jed
If you have ICQ you can message me. My ICQ#:28238084
Download icq @ http://www.icq.com/