Hi,
for some reason I didn't get the original message.

> > - new SIOCAX25GETINFO - ax25_info_struct now includes information about
> >   VR,VS,VA,WINDOW,PACLEN so programs may get those information through
> >   ioctl() and do not need to read /proc/net/ax25.

How did you do that? By changing struct ax25_info_struct?
Please give SIOCAX25GETINFO a different number then and support the
old ioctl as SIOCAX25GETINFO_OLD because a change of the struct
would break binary compatibility with existing applications.

> Is in.
> However, I removed the compatibility-stuff. People should accept that they
> have to recompile their user-level tools if something does not work, at
> least in this stage of development.

I strongly disagree when it comes to applications. It is okay and
necessary to adjust the basic configuration tools, breaking normal
applications is a Bad Thing. There is simply no need to break applications
just for some data that nobody should care about but the protocol stack
itself - it was an error in the first place to implement even the current
version, it is a misfeature if an application scans /proc for these things.

Anyway, we have this thing as a documented feature and we're now stuck
with it for at least a while. Simply breaking existing code and saying
"your problem, recompile" is outright arrogant and causes a lot of
headache for those people who need to switch between different kernel
versions from time to time.

Besides, you won't get it past Linus anyway.

73,

Joerg Reuter                                 http://poboxes.com/jreuter/
And I make my way to where the warm scent of soil fills the evening air.
Everything is waiting quietly out there....                 (Anne Clark)

PGP signature