From: Seppo =?iso-8859-1?Q?R=E4ty?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Cirrus CLM Data Fax Voice Modem + Linux
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 19:03:57 GMT

    I have a computer with a Cirrus CLM Data Fax Voice Modem - it says
Cirrus Logic PCI or something in the Win98...

    Does Linux support this one or should I change the modem if I want
to get
connected in a robust way - that is; without Win98 ?

    It is a PCI card and the modem appears as COM4 in Windows.

    Any experience in setting up this is appreciated,

    timo räty

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: dual OS system
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 04:28:39 GMT

Personally I like lilo. You can configure it to wait for as many
seconds as you wish, or wait forever or not at all, then you can set
it to use just one letter for a system - like w for windows and l for
linux - just press a key and enter. Besides you do not need to have a
separate program - simply install win98, then linux and you're set.
E-mail me if you have any questions.

Roberts Klotins

------------------------------

From: Henrik Carlqvist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Corrupt fs on UMC4981 486 system
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 21:04:19 +0100

Stefan Skopnik wrote:
> - After initializing, formatting a new partition and rebooting I get
>   a partition with errors!!! After umounting, fsck'ing and repairing
>   the errors all seems ok again.
>
> - Rebooting gives new errors again. This kind of game can be repeated
>   forever !

This might be a stupid question, but how do you reboot? Just turning off
the power or pressing the reset-button is something you should never do
on a unix machine. This will cause unwritten data in the cache to be
lost and your filesystem will be corrupted.

When a unix machine is started it will detect corrupted file systems and
try to repair them.

The right way to reboot a linux system is:

"/sbin/shutdown -t5 -rfn now"

For more info, check the man page of shutdown:

"man 8 shutdown"

regards Henrik
--
spammer strikeback:
root@localhost [EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Vladimir Gerasko)
Subject: eexpress/eepro compatible card problem
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 98 17:30:36 -0600

eexpress/eepro compatible card problem

Hi, all!

I have a problem with my ethernet card (82595). Under Win95 its works fine as
"Intel EtherExpress(TM) 10 ISA LAN Adapter (PnP Enabled)".
In Linux (Slackware 3.5, kernel 2.0.34) eexpress.o rejects it,
and eepro.o reports HW address 00:00:00:00:00:00 (and ping doesn't work etc)
For PnP settings I am using isapnptools (I try different io and irq
with the same result).
On the card chip has the name "S82595FX L6465786"

messages below:

Linux version 2.0.34 (root@Key)
(gcc version egcs-2.90.29 980515 (egcs-1.0.3 release)) #5 Thu Dec 3 21:44:55 NOVT 1998

Key:/etc# isapnp isapnp.conf
Board 1 has Identity 0f ff ff ff ff 00 08 a8 65:  YMH0800 Serial No -1 [checksum 0f]
Board 2 has Identity 4b c9 4a 6b 90 00 11 d4 25:  INT1100 Serial No 3377097616
[checksum 4b]
INT1100/3377097616[0]{Intel EtherExpress(TM) 10 Adapter  }: Port 0x300; IRQ11 ---
Enabled OK

Key:/etc# modprobe eexpress io=0x300 irq=11
eth0: EtherExpress at 0x300, rejected: invalid address 000000000000
eexpress.c: Failed to register card at 0x300.
/lib/modules/2.0.34/net/eexpress.o: init_module: Device or resource busy

Key:/etc# modprobe eepro io=0x300 irq=11
 id: 0x24  io: 0x300 eth0: Intel 82595-based lan card at 0x300,
 00:00:00:00:00:00, IRQ 11, 10BaseT.          <<10BaseT - it's correct!>>
Key:/etc/rc.d# ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.5 netmask 255.255.255.0
Key:/etc/rc.d# ifconfig
lo      Link encap:Local Loopback
        inet addr:127.0.0.1  Bcast:127.255.255.255  Mask:255.0.0.0
        UP BROADCAST LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:3584  Metric:1
        Collisions:0

eth0    Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:00:00:00:00:00
        inet addr:192.168.1.5  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
        Collisions:0
        Interrupt:11 Base address:0x300

As I can understand from .c, there is some problem with reading from eeprom
(maybe)

Driver eexpress.c :
/* $Id: eexpress.c,v 1.13.2.2 1997/03/11 05:52:32 davem Exp $
Driver eepro.c :
        Versions:
                0.11a   Attempt to get 2.1.xx support up (RMC)

Thanks a lot in advance for any help and/or comments.
Key.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tim Ward)
Subject: Two 3C589B Cards in one Laptop?
Date: 22 Dec 1998 20:15:36 GMT

I've an IBM 760 running Redhat 5.1 (2.0.34) with PCMCIA 3.0.6.  I have two
identical 3C589B PCMCIA Ethernet Modules installed.  I can only use one.
While the link light (indicating electrical connectivity to the hub/switch)
is on for both cards, if I check the hub/switch, only one link is shown.
I'm trying to set up a basic, dual homed host, with no routing and no
bridging between the networks to which the two interfaces are connected.
Ifconfig and netstat both show the appropriate entries for lo, eth0 and eth1
I think this may be a problem with the PCMCIA card driver supporting both of
the cards.  On boot up, when cardmgr runs, I get a single beep (for eth0 ?),
then two beeps (for eth0 ?), then another single beep (for eth 1 ?).  I've
ruled out wiring, dongle and card problems.  Either card will work fine if
they are the only card installed.

/var/run/stab shows:

Socket 0: 3Com 3c589 Ethernet
0       network 3c589_cs        0       eth0
Socket 1: 3Com 3c589 Ethernet
1       network 3c589_cs        0       eth1

[]# /sbin/cardctl status
Socket 0:
  5V 16-bit card present
  Function 0: ready
Socket 1:
  5V 16-bit card present
  Function 0: ready

[]# /sbin/cardctl config
Socket 0:
  Vcc = 5.0, Vpp1 = 0.0, Vpp2 = 0.0
  Interface type is memory and I/O
  IRQ 5 is exclusive, level mode, enabled
  Function 0:
    Config register base = 0x10000
      Option = 0x41, status = 0000
    I/O window 1: 0x0300 to 0x030f, 16 bit
Socket 1:
  Vcc = 5.0, Vpp1 = 0.0, Vpp2 = 0.0
  Interface type is memory and I/O
  IRQ 9 is exclusive, level mode, enabled
  Function 0:
    Config register base = 0x10000
      Option = 0x41, status = 0000
    I/O window 1: 0x0310 to 0x031f, 16 bit

--
Tim Ward                               [EMAIL PROTECTED]             V 847-467-1449
Senior Network Engineer             G166 Leverone Hall         F 847-467-5690

------------------------------

From: LEAFBOY <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: in need of equipment
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 15:31:26 -0500

If you have any equipment that you think would be good for an ISP and
would willing to sell at a low cost or donate, please drop me a line at
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
I really would appreciate any donations of parts and ideas.
leaf

------------------------------

From: Ed Vander Bush <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Specing out Linux Hardware
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 09:36:15 -0800

I am looking to add a Unix box to my network to ask as a ip and ipx
router along with hosting a few servers, WWW, database, uake, etc.. as
well as being a file server and possible running X over the network in a
windows X client program... How much power should I get... I only want
to spend $400 but have a video card and the network cards.  I have see
some p200 with 32 megs for about my price, will that surfice?  Thanks.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Martin J. Maney)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.development.apps
Subject: Re: things I'd pay to have developed for Linux...
Date: 23 Dec 1998 09:10:31 -0600

In comp.os.linux.development.system Kyler Laird <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stefaan A Eeckels) writes:

> >Given that Windows boxes cannot be told to use anything else
> >but the standard SMB sockets, what's your prospective client?

> Hmmm...have you taken a look at the Newsgroups:
> line lately?

BTW, it is polite to set followups to a single group when
cross-posting.  Since I have no idea whic of those groups you read I
shall not presume to choose for you - but the hardware group seems
pretty unlikely for this question.

Besides, that his is posted to non-MS goups means squat, since you're
only asking for the non-MS server half of the system.

> (MS Windows clients could also use it, of course,
> but it takes a bit more effort.)

Sure, but if you don't have any particular interest in providing
access to those clients, as your rather insulting replies to people
who were only trying to help you even though you forced them to
attempt to guess at many important points that you didn't bother to
make clear, then you beg the question: why do you insist on trying to
use the MS-centric kluge that is SMB for this?  On the face of it
that's a lousy choice if you don't need compatability with those
Windows boxes.

Short form: we can't read your mind, so if you want a useful answer
your best strategy is to open it to us.  Oh, and set your followups.

------------------------------

From: Lee Bennett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Syquest SparQ drives
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 14:21:50 +0000

Hi All

Does anyone know if the Syquest SparQ 1GB drive (both parallel and EIDE
versions) will work on Linux (Red Hat 5.1 or SUSE 5.2). If so there any
special configuration requirements i.e. kernel drivers that are
required.

Thanks

Lee Bennett

---

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matt)
Subject: Redhat 5.2 on Toshiba Satellite 2515CDS ???
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 20:26:26 GMT

Has anyone successfully installed (and used) Redhat 5.2 on the Toshiba
Satellite 2515CDS laptop? I didn't see this model on any of the Linux
laptop compatibility sites. The specs look OK except for the removable
hard drive (the Redhat site says that many removable HDs are incompatible
with 5.2) and the video card (these figures are like Greek to me - I've
never bought a computer before).

Any information/true stories would be highly appreciated.

Thanks!

mB

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Eclipse)
Subject: ATI Rage Fury? will it work with redhat??
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 11:26:13 -0800

hello im in the prosses of building a box and i need to make sure that the
video card i put in it will work under redhat 5.2 the cards im looking at
are the ATI Rage Fury AGP with 32megs or the creative labs riva TNT AGP
with 16megs if these are not good choices i welcome any advice on a better
choice =)

any help with this would be great thanks in advance

J Beck

------------------------------

From: "Robert C. Paulsen, Jr." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Subject: Re: SCSI Recommendations?
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 09:12:35 -0600

Peter Robinson wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Robert C. Paulsen, Jr.
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes
> >But, before I plunk down anything for another narrow drive, I wanted to
> >think about upgrading to a wide SCSI controller.
> >
> Why not get a wide drive with an adapter to terminate the wide bus &
> hang it on the narrow cable. Then when you do upgrade the controller you
> will get the benefit straight away.
>
> --
> Peter Robinson

I didn't know that could be done. This is what I will do.

Does the adapter go onto the drive and present a narrow connection for
my existing narrow cable? Are these adapters widely available?

Thanks!

--
Robert Paulsen                         http://paulsen.home.texas.net
If my return address contains "ZAP." please remove it. Sorry for the

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Frank Miles)
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Date: 23 Dec 1998 15:42:27 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Robert C. Paulsen, Jr. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Peter Robinson wrote:
>>
>> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Robert C. Paulsen, Jr.
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes
>> >But, before I plunk down anything for another narrow drive, I wanted to
>> >think about upgrading to a wide SCSI controller.
>> >
>> Why not get a wide drive with an adapter to terminate the wide bus &
>> hang it on the narrow cable. Then when you do upgrade the controller you
>> will get the benefit straight away.
>>
>> Peter Robinson
>
>I didn't know that could be done. This is what I will do.
>
>Does the adapter go onto the drive and present a narrow connection for
>my existing narrow cable? Are these adapters widely available?

Alternatively, there are at least some SCSI adapters (Buslogic/Mylex
958) that have both wide and narrow connectors on them.

        -frank

------------------------------

From: Leon Kanter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: zip detected as cdrom
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 18:45:43 +0200

Joey Morris wrote:

> I have an IDE, internal zip drive connected as the secondary master. (My
> hard drive and CDROM are primary master and slave, resp.) For some reason, the
> zip drive is detected by linux (2.0.27) as an ATAPI CDROM drive instead of an
> ATAPI Floppy. I had another internal zip drive that was detected fine, but it
> was attacked by the Click of Death so I had to get this new one. Does anyone
> know why this is happening and how I can fix it?

You have to upgrade your kernel. Latest is 2.0.36. Turn ide-floppy support on in
it.

--
                                 /\**/\
Leon B. Kanter  LK258-RIPE      ( o_o  )_)     [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Linux SMP revisited
From: Richard Ingram <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 23 Dec 1998 15:23:14 +0000

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthew Pound) writes:

> Quentin Stephens ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> : >My advice is get a multi/dual processor motherbaord with one processor
> : >installed and see what happens.  The price of the processors falls
> : >anyway,  you can get a second one for cheaper later.
>
> : Don't do this! Unless you get an identical pair of CPUs, you can't
> : guarantee that they'll work together.
>
>       You are wrong.
>
>       There is no such thing as identical processors, you kan purchase
> your cpu's months apart, and as long as your stepping numbers are
> identical you will be just fine.  Theoretically the closer to exact they
> are the better, say incrementing serial numbers, but same stepping number
> is all that is required for SMP.  That had to be corrected. later

Well the best is to read the Intel errata sheet, the PPro stepping 9 and
7 should be OK in SMP. Well I will find out over Xmas when I get my box going
again under Linux.

Richard.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Addonics/Trident chip sound problem
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 20:15:06 GMT

Jim,

Sorry to hear of your Linux troubles. The chip comes up with SB compatibility
disabled [it won't listen at any SB I/O address (220/240, 388/38C), MIDI
(300/330) or joystick port (201-20F)].

I could tell you how to enable it with a couple of PCI config space writes,
but the SB state machine in the chip isn't complete (it needs a TSR in DOS or
a VxD in Windoze to respond to all SB DSP commands). 4DWave also uses any one
of 3 different DMA decoding methods (TDMA, DDMA or PC/PCI), depending on the
core-logic chipset. We've also developed a couple of proprietary software
methods (hacks) to handle DMA on broken chipsets like the 440LX/EX.

So, without some kind of shim (TSR or virtual device driver), the standard
Linux SB driver isn't going to be fully functional. We may be contracting out
for a 4DWave Linux driver in the near future; I'll let you know when and if
that happens.

- Tom Warren
  Software Engineer/MTS
  Trident Microsystems, Inc.
  Arizona Product Group
  Chandler, AZ
  602 892-5240

Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 21:21:29 +0000
From: Iain Barnes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ModularTech modem

Hi, just a quicky....

Has anyone got a Modular Technology K56Flex external modem working under
linux. All i need to know is whether or not there is any thing to stop
it working, as i have an internal model from them and i fscked if i can
get it working....i have a feeling it uses some win/dos specific
drivers.....so is the external one ok or not....

Yes or no will suffice.... :)

Thanks

Iggy

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rob Komar)
Subject: Re: Adaptec 7895  Ultra SCSI support?
Date: 23 Dec 1998 16:33:09 GMT

Kevin Wright ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: Is any there Linux kernel support available/imminent/planned for the
: Adaptec 7895 Ultra SCSI adapter (as on the new Gigabyte 6BXDS
: dual processor mainboard)? I gather there is already a patch for the
: 7890. Would it work on the 7895?
:
Hi,
the 7895 is supported in the latest kernels, and patches have
been available since about last February (when I started using
mine on my DK440LX motherboard).  It's been running stably for
me since that time.

Cheers,
Rob Komar

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jesper Honig Spring)
Subject: Re: Compaq deskpro 5133 NETFLEX nic embedded
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 15:53:13 GMT

On Thu, 17 Dec 1998 22:49:41 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
wrote:

To my knowledge the Netflex Embedded PCI Ethernet Card is *not*
supported by RH5.2. As far as I recall, you can get RH to recognize
your card by using a patch from Compaq MOVEPCI (SP1599), but then you
have to boot RH by diskette everytime.

Best regards

Jesper Honig Spring
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

>Anyone had problems with this nic being recognized by rh5.2??
>
>I want to know what card driver you use to set it up?
>I think it is an AMD card
>
>DUNNO it is baffling me.
>TNX
>Chris Hennessy
>
>--
>You're not lost if you don't care where you are!

Jesper Honig Spring
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
IBM Denmark