Linux-Hardware Digest #16, Volume #11            Sun, 15 Aug 99 08:13:26 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Please look at these kernel error messages..! (Torsten Howard)
  What is a localhost login? ("Advanced one corporation")
  Good Digital Sound Card for Linux? (Ken Deeter)
  Re: Linux on HP Vectra VL Series 3 5/100 (Abdullah Ramazanoglu)
  Re: Diamond Monster 3D card ("Damon")
  Re: Which soundcard is best for Linux? (brian moore)
  Okipage 4W ("Dirk")
  Re: UDMA/66 bootable (Jani Siljander)
  Epson SCSI Scanners (Andrew)
  scsi hard drives (Lisa)
  Noisy HardDisk won't power down (Chetan Patil)
  Re: Gateway telepath modem ("Edward M. Babb")
  Re: modem for RedHat 6.0 (Mark Hunter)
  Modem!! ("SUNNY")
  Re: Soundblaster midi (Glenn Turnbull)
  Re: What is a localhost login? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Gigabyte GA-6BXE networking problems (Sid Boyce)
  Re: strange RAID problems (Gerhard Miksic)
  Re: Can't get HP720 to print (not even blink) (Mircea)
  Re: 3com 3c905C Tornado ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  RH6.0 /dev/lp0 not working (Richard Ames)

From: Torsten Howard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Please look at these kernel error messages..!
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 1999 01:29:30 +0000

Hello,
I get similar messages with my CD-ROM.

If your Linux is fsck'ing the drive on every
boot, the OS is not properly unmounting the
drives.

This can be related to some setup problem,
I think, because when that happened to me,
I resetup Linux and the problem went away.

Has something to do with setting disk
partitions/disk geometry during fdisk'ing
the drive initially.

Later,
Torsten

------------------------------

From: "Advanced one corporation" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: What is a localhost login?
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 1999 02:18:44 +0100

I have just installed Linux Redhat 5.2. It is asking me for a localhost
login and password. I do not recall typing one in? If I did at what point
did I and how can I recall it?

------------------------------

From: Ken Deeter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Good Digital Sound Card for Linux?
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 1999 07:11:19 GMT

hi,

just getting fed up with sblive for linux.. well sblive in general.

I'm looking to find a card that has good digital audio support and linux
support. MIDI would be nice, but not essential. Most of the consumer
cards that i see have the AC97 spec that has th 48khz lock.. i am
looking for something that does not have this limitation, as well as the
ability to output different bit-resolutions 16/20/24

The type of connectors really doesn't matter as long as they run SPDIF.
I was looking at the Yamaha XG chips.. but i can't find any that use
them that meet my needs.

If anyone knows of a card that even comes close to what I am looking
for, i'd appreciate it if you drop me a note. Thanx

Ken

------------------------------

From: Abdullah Ramazanoglu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux on HP Vectra VL Series 3 5/100
Date: Sun, 01 Aug 1999 22:42:41 +0300

Falah Thamir wrote:

> I tried installing an 8-GB drive, which did not work correctly. The BIOS
> recognizes the drive parameters with auto-detection (no. of cylinders,
> sectors, etc.) and reports the correct size; however, when the machine
> reboots, it lists the size as 4.1 GB.

This is strange. Perhaps try Normal and LBA sizings in BIOS (w/o
autodetect)? In Large-Disk-Mini-Howto I have found this :
~~~~~~~
The 4.2 GB limit (Feb 1997)
        Simple BIOS translation (ECHS=Extended CHS, sometimes called `Large
disk support' or just `Large') works by repeatedly doubling the number
of heads and halving the number of cylinders shown to DOS, until the
number of cylinders is at most 1024. Now DOS and Windows 95 cannot
handle 256 heads, and in the common case that the disk reports 16 heads,
this means that this simple mechanism only works up to
8192*16*63*512=4227858432 bytes (with a fake geometry with 1024
cylinders, 128 heads, 63 sectors/track). Note that ECHS does not change
the number of sectors per track, so if that is not 63, the limit will be
lower. See over4gb.htm.
~~~~~~~
So, maybe BIOS "auto-decides" for Large mode, and thus 4.2 GB limit?

It is also possible to specify disk geometry as a boot parameter, but
you shouldn't need it in the first place. So, if kernel can't recognize
it automatically, that means something is wrong somewhere and you could
expect it to cause severe problems in the future.
BTW, I'm not sure about how one can be sure that the forced geometry is
being used (without disk boundary violation etc) correctly. As an idea,
creating a single ext2fs for the whole disk, an then e2fsck'ing it may
prove that all the disk is accessed OK.

HTH
--
Abdullah Ramazanoglu    [ aramazanoglu AT demirbank DOT com DOT tr ]

------------------------------

From: "Damon" <dssaylor@NO SPAMhotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Diamond Monster 3D card
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 1999 00:46:16 -0700

Thanks!  It is there and it works - just can't get Quake 3 test to run with
that card I guess.  :(

Damon

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (brian moore)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Which soundcard is best for Linux?
Date: 15 Aug 1999 08:37:38 GMT

On Sat, 14 Aug 1999 21:43:52 -0500,
 Jim Hall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> No it's not Midi's Fault. It's the Driver/Card. Have you ever heard XG? If

And the person who encoded the song.

Let's face it: the stuff you get on web pages or alt.binaries.sounds.midi
is, for the vast majority, crap.

It has very little to do with the card, since you can duplicate the
hardware easily enough with timidity and software wave tables.

> not you are missing out. Midi is very very powerful when used with a good
> Soundcard/Driver. Alot of games and movies use Midi. I am not kidding. Also
> many high end keyboards use Midi. Midi can "sound" better than MP3, mp3 is
> compressed format that in 128K sounds very swishy. Encode at 160 or 192 and
> you get "NearCD" quality.

Sure, MIDI is great for what it was designed for: controlling multiple
instruments from a central device (be it the traditional keyboard, a
computer, or even odd things like a guitar).  As for a music compression
format?  It sucks: by the time you make it play exactly as intended on a
variety of computers (ie, load the exact same 'soundfont' that the
original artist used), you've lost the small package.

In this sense, mod's are better: they allow the artist to specify the
exact sound as part of the mod file, so the size is a bit bigger, but at
least the sound is consistent.  (And a good chunk of the artistry is
choosing decent samples that work for the effect you're after.)

As for MIDI sounding better than MP3's: MIDI is -far- more compressed
than MP3.  Hint: the typical MIDI doesn't come with the same sounds that
the encoder used.  You think all soundfonts sound the same? :)

For the musician, there's a lot of good things about MIDI: but for the
average home user it's pointless.  If you want decent sound, use mp3's.

--
Brian Moore                       | Of course vi is God's editor.
      Sysadmin, C/Perl Hacker     | If He used Emacs, He'd still be waiting

------------------------------

From: "Dirk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Okipage 4W
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 1999 10:51:11 +0200

hello ,
i have a printer i cant get it to work

i have a Okipage 4w LED printers

can anybody help to set him up ...anybody had the same problems maybe ???

for ideas and solutions i am very thankful

thnx very much

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jani Siljander)
Subject: Re: UDMA/66 bootable
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 1999 08:30:17 GMT

On 14 Aug 1999 14:46:52 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Ripton) wrote:

>I'm not using the hpt366 on my BP6, so the following are just basic
>suggestions you probably already thought of:
>
>Boot with a floppy and confirm that the drive works fine other than
>for booting.

I checked it with another hard drive, and it worked. Or at least fdisk
worked fine on that drive.

>Check your BIOS settings.  EXT should come first or after only the
>floppy in the boot order, and EXT should point to UDMA/66 rather
>than SCSI.

That was already done...

Well, as I read the help when I configured the kernel with xconfig, it
said that the HPT66 driver works, but can't be made bootable.
I'm just wondering if there's a way to make it boot, like if I start
linux with a floppy...

------------------------------

From: Andrew <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: redhat.config,redhat.general
Subject: Epson SCSI Scanners
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 1999 08:30:53 GMT

Need help with installation my EPSON GT-9000 under REDHAT 6.0

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: Lisa <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: scsi hard drives
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 1999 08:30:53 GMT

what is the difference between wide and ultra wide hard drives?  can you use an ultra
wide controller card if you have a regular wide hard drive?

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: Chetan Patil <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Noisy HardDisk won't power down
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 1999 09:26:45 GMT

Hi,

I am running RH 6 as a gateway to my Home LAN. The 133 Mhz Dell PC has a
really noisy Seagate drive which won't power down even in the wee hours
of the morning (ie no traffic being generated over the lan etc). I have
about 98 Meg of RAM, so masquerading shouldn't really swap.

I have set hdparam -S 120 for it to power down in 10 minutes.

Even after forcing it to spin down by using hdparm -y, it powers up
immediately.

I suspect that some process is continuously writing to the HD which
prevents it from being powered down.
How do I find out which process is the cuplrit?

I did a top after a hdparm -Y, and found the following in syslog :

Aug 14 19:19:17 Foo kernel: hda: status error: status=0x7f { DriveReady
DeviceFault SeekComplete DataRequest CorrectedError Index Error }
Aug 14 19:19:17 Foo kernel: hda: status error: error=0xff {
DriveStatusError BadCRC UncorrectableError SectorIdNotFound
TrackZeroNotFound AddrMarkNotFound }, LBAsect=251658240, sector=999456
Aug 14 19:19:17 Foo kernel: hda: drive not ready for command
Aug 14 19:19:17 Foo kernel: ide0: reset: success

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Chetan

I have included a snapshot of all the processes that are running on the
system:

  PID TTY      STAT   TIME COMMAND
    1 ?        S      0:04 init [5]
    2 ?        SW     0:00 [kflushd]
    3 ?        SW     0:00 [kpiod]
    4 ?        SW     0:00 [kswapd]
    5 ?        SW<    0:00 [mdrecoveryd]
  972 ?        S      0:00 portmap
 1019 ?        S      0:07 syslogd -m 0
 1030 ?        S      0:00 klogd
 1044 ?        S      0:00 /usr/sbin/atd
 1058 ?        S      0:00 crond
 1072 ?        S      0:00 inetd
 1079 ?        S      0:00 /usr/sbin/sshd2
 1093 ?        S      0:00 lpd
 1127 ?        S      0:00 httpd
 1133 ?        S      0:00 httpd
 1134 ?        S      0:00 httpd
 1135 ?        S      0:00 httpd
 1136 ?        S      0:00 httpd
 1139 ?        S      0:00 httpd
 1140 ?        S      0:00 httpd
 1141 ?        S      0:00 httpd
 1142 ?        S      0:00 httpd
 1143 ?        S      0:00 httpd
 1144 ?        S      0:00 httpd
 1160 ?        S      0:00 xfs -port -1
 1186 ?        S      0:00 nmbd -D
 1189 ?        S      0:00 nmbd -D
 1231 tty1     S      0:00 /sbin/mingetty tty1
 1232 tty2     S      0:00 /sbin/mingetty tty2
 1233 tty3     S      0:00 /sbin/mingetty tty3
 1234 tty4     S      0:00 /sbin/mingetty tty4
 1235 tty5     S      0:00 /sbin/mingetty tty5
 1236 tty6     S      0:00 /sbin/mingetty tty6
 1237 ?        S      0:00 /etc/X11/prefdm -nodaemon
 1239 ?        S      0:00 update (bdflush)
 1242 ?        S      0:00 /usr/bin/X11/X -auth /var/gdm/:0.xauth :0
 1250 ?        S      0:00 /etc/X11/prefdm -nodaemon
 1255 ?        S      0:00 /usr/bin/gdmgreeter
 1295 ?        S      0:10 /usr/bin/X11/xterm -display 192.168.1.2:0
 1298 pts/0    S      0:00 -csh
 1319 pts/0    S      0:00 su - root
 1323 pts/0    S      0:00 -tcsh
 1354 ?        S      0:00 /usr/bin/X11/xterm -display 192.168.1.2:0
 1356 pts/1    S      0:00 -csh
 1373 pts/1    S      0:00 su - root
 1377 pts/1    S      0:01 -tcsh
 1407 pts/0    R      0:00 ps -ax

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 14 Aug 1999 23:06:01 -0700
From: "Edward M. Babb" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Gateway telepath modem

I also have had no luck.  But my Gateway Telepath had to be installed by
first disabling a com port in bios, then installing the modem to that
com port from within win95. Now the port never even shows up under linux
since it is disabled in the bios, so I think I'm just going to trash the
thing and get a supported modem.
Ed

------------------------------

From: Mark Hunter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: modem for RedHat 6.0
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 1999 06:36:29 -0400

http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html contained very informative
discussion.

Don't worry however, you will probably find that you have winmodem, but
there is plenty of information
to help you select another.

Check also:
http://www.redhat.com/corp/support/hardware/intel/60/rh6.0-hcl-i.ld-15.html

Mark Hunter

------------------------------

From: "SUNNY" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Modem!!
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 1999 18:44:21 +0800

Hello everybody
My modem is Zoltrix 56K/V.90
model:FM-hcf56i
Redhat 6.0 support ?or not?

------------------------------

From: Glenn Turnbull <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Soundblaster midi
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 1999 12:55:14 +0200

I am also getting the same error on RH 6.0 with a Sound Blaster AWE32 pnp
I have checked all the settings on Both DOS and OS/2 and the I/O, IRQ, DMA, and
MPU 401 are fine.  I have also tried with pnp enabled on the board bios but no
it didn't make any difference.

anyone have any ideas ?

> <snip>
> >
> > Michael Lawrence wrote:
> >
> > >     I am fairly new to linux, finally have almost everything working and
> > > very happy with it.  I just finished a recompile of my kernel to fix a
> > > bug with the zip drive.  I am now getting an error at boot with my
> > > Soundblaster midi driver, i have set up everything in the kernel
> > > correctly, as far as i can tell, but it won't load the awe_wave.o
> > > driver. here is the error message

> > > No AWE synth device is found
> > > sound: Device or resource busy
> > > post-install /lib/modules/2.3.2/misc/awe_wave.o failed
> > >
> > > [FAILED]

<snip>

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: What is a localhost login?
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 1999 11:10:33 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Advanced one corporation" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I have just installed Linux Redhat 5.2. It is asking me for a
localhost
> login and password. I do not recall typing one in? If I did at what
point
> did I and how can I recall it?

Since you apparently did not specify a HOSTNAME when doing the config,
it uses 'localhost'. The only login you can use after initial install is
'root' and the password you specified immediately before completing the
install and rebooting.

-Dan

Date: Sun, 15 Aug 1999 02:26:31 +0000
From: Sid Boyce <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Gigabyte GA-6BXE networking problems

I started out with a Tyan AT-100 MoBo, Linux pre-2.2.11-ac3, EExpress
16 card with everything working fine
        Installed the new Gigabyte board (latest BIOS fixes 2.7), changed the
ES1868 sound card for a SB64 PCI. After setting up I could get no
response from my other Linux box (Cyrix 233/3c509b) or ISDN router, a
ping just clammed up.
        I next tried a 3c509 (IRQ 9 io=0x300 on EE16 and 509b), this time, my
Cyrix box and the router were responding as seen on tcpdump -i eth0 on
the Cyrix, at first nothing showed up on the P-III 450, then suddenly a
string of "ARP who-has" appeared and continued OK, though no replies
were being seen.
        I have gone over the BIOS setup several times and there is no IRQ
conflict, though it smells like it, I've tried auto and manual, setting
IRQ 9 as legacy ISA.

02:11:05.425117 arp who-has 192.168.10.2 tell g3vbv.ampr.org
02:11:05.434756 arp reply 192.168.10.2 is-at 8:0:39:3:14:50
02:11:06.426122 arp who-has 192.168.10.2 tell g3vbv.ampr.org
02:11:06.427502 arp reply 192.168.10.2 is-at 8:0:39:3:14:50
        Seen immediately on the Cyrix, later shows up on P-III 450 (the box
with the problem), except there is no arp reply.
        lsdev shows the following..........
 Device            DMA   IRQ  I/O Ports
3c509                        0300-030f
aic7xxx                  11  e400-e4be
cascade             4     2
dma                          0080-008f
dma1                         0000-001f
dma2                         00c0-00df
eth0                      9
floppy              2     6  03f0-03f5 03f7-03f7
fpu                      13  00f0-00ff
ide0                     14  01f0-01f7 03f6-03f6 f000-f007
ide1                     15  0170-0177 0376-0376 f008-f00f
keyboard                  1  0060-006f
Mouse                    12
parport0                     0378-037f 0778-077a
pic1                         0020-003f
pic2                         00a0-00bf
rtc                       8  0070-007f
serial                       02f8-02ff 03f8-03ff
timer                     0  0040-005f
vga+                         03c0-03df
        Any help appreciated, even to say that this board works with ethernet
cards.
BTW, still the same after upgrading to 2.2.12-pre3. The 3c509 shows up
as above with two entries one for 3c509 and one for eth0, so does the
working machine, while the EE16 just shows up as eexpress io=0300 irq=9.
Also diagnostics for both cards indicate they are OK.
Regards
--
... Sid Boyce...G3VBV...44-121 422 0375
                   -----------------------------------

------------------------------

From: Gerhard Miksic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: strange RAID problems
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 1999 11:35:26 GMT

The exact error reads

Aug 15 13:24:21 gate kernel: hda: irq timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }
Aug 15 13:24:21 gate kernel: ide0: reset: success

Regards
Gerhard

------------------------------

From: Mircea <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Can't get HP720 to print (not even blink)
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 1999 07:37:29 -0400

Gene Heskett wrote:

> Unrot13 this;
> Reply to: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> Gene Heskett sends Greetings to Chad Peters;
>
> This is a winprinter.  But, there is a driver that currently is working
> in black only, do a search on dejanews for it.

Here's the URL:
http://www.httptech.com/ppa/

MST

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: 3com 3c905C Tornado
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 1999 11:28:00 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Fiendzero <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Anyone know how to get a 3c905c Tornado up on Redhat 6.0??
>
> Or, Where can one obtain the drivers??
>
> please reply to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You need the current Vortex driver, aka 3c59x see:
http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/vortex.html

-Dan

From: Richard Ames <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RH6.0 /dev/lp0 not working
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 1999 11:41:49 GMT

The printtool sets up the printing correctly.... I think.  Jobs spool
but never print.

cat somefilename > /dev/lp0 produces nothing. Therefore I think this i a
driver / hardware interface problem.

cat /proc/ioports shows parport on 0378-03f7 and 0778-077a

cat /proc/interrupts does not show any interrupt assigned to a parallel
port.

There is nothing in /proc/parport

Any hints on how to proceed?????

Thanks,