Linux-Hardware Digest #33, Volume #9             Sun, 27 Dec 98 02:13:24 EST

Contents:
  Buying a new video card... (Steven Zinck)
  Re: need to take action on the Winmodem problem (Chris Lee)
  Video cards compared -- NOT! (Steve Simmons)
  Ether16 LAN Card and Ethernet 5-Port Workgroup Hub ("Mike Zizek")
  Re: SoundBlaster 16 SCSI II (Alan Taylor)
  Re: PNP Modem Problem (Dan Nguyen)
  Sex & Money  2679 ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Cirrus Logic GD5480 card (Tom Baldridge)
  Re: X on Cyrix 686 (Ron Crowder)
  Re: Ether16 LAN Card and Ethernet 5-Port Workgroup Hub (JunkDTectr)
  Re: things I'd pay to have developed for Linux... (Leslie Mikesell)
  Xfree dga (Jean J taoko)
  Re: low cost print server ("Jim Orfanakos")
  Dual AudioPCI Sound Cards in RH5.2 (Robert Spychala)
  Re: Conflict with X-Windows and Linksys EtherFast 10/100 LAN Card ("Jim Orfanakos")
  Debian Install: Where did my support aha152x scsi driver go ? (Nick Dreyer)
  ACCTON 166x MPX2 ISA PnP problems ("Bernard Varaine")
  Printer sharing between linux and solaris ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Video Capture Card ISVRIII (Bruce Thornhill)
  Mem > 64MB ("Prasanna V. Pendse")
  Re: low cost print server (Gary Momarison)
  Re: need to take action on the Winmodem problem (Jason and Christa Dixon)
  Adara Imagestar I (Ellamenno Pee)
  Re: Linux sees just 64Mb out of 128Mb of memory-FIXED! ("Raj R. Singh")
  Re: low cost print server (Leslie Mikesell)
  Re: RivaTNT X-Server (David Pinaula)
  Re: Linux sees just 64Mb out of 128Mb of memory-FIXED! ("Prasanna V. Pendse")

From: Steven Zinck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Buying a new video card...
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 1998 02:19:26 GMT

hey all...

I'm going to buy a new video card soon, nothing too fancy.. right now I have
a S3 ViRGE GX/2 4mb that has been locking up X (seems to happen when I load up
a graphic in gimp and sometimes netscape)..I've heard of other people having
this problem too w/this card....anyway.. just wondering if anyone can make
a recommendation for a good, stable card in X?

--

-steve
remove the '-remove' to reply via email

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chris Lee)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: need to take action on the Winmodem problem
Date: 27 Dec 1998 02:25:03 GMT

says...

>On Sat, 26 Dec 1998 23:52:51 GMT, David J. Looney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
>>Kirk Rafferty wrote:
>>
>>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy Norm Matloff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
>[deletia]
>>> Nah, I don't think this is as big a problem as some of the other issues
>>> that Linux needs to address.  One could even argue that by refusing to
>>> support such a miserable technology (and I use "technology" in the
>>> loosest possible terms), Linux will encourage vendors to produce
>>> normal modems.
>>
>>See above. If, under Win95 a user can connect to his ISP without buying
>>additional hardware, but to use linux (the "free" OS) they have have to
>>shell out $150, I think agree with Norm Matloff that it's a big problem.
>
>        Actually, modem technology is relatively stagnant at the
>        moment. $150 for a suitable replacement for the winmodem
>        rather sounds like highway robbery.

$150.00?!? Try $59.00 for an 56k v90 external modem dude. I can get it at my
local staples office supply store.

I wouldn't waste my money on an internal modem no matter who makes it.

------------------------------

Subject: Video cards compared -- NOT!
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Steve Simmons)
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 1998 02:28:21 GMT

There are an awful lot of video card questions posted here about
performance under X windows.  But the official benchmark site,
<http://charon.astro.nwu.edu/xbench>, is sorely short on data.

Come on, folks.  Go visit the site, download the benchmark, run
it, and report your results.  I'll be doing this as soon as my
new video card arrives.

------------------------------

From: "Mike Zizek" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Ether16 LAN Card and Ethernet 5-Port Workgroup Hub
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 1998 18:35:07 -0800

For the past month I have really enjoyed my new RedHat 5.2 OS.  Now I would
like to connect three PC (all Linux) and have a little network that we can
play around with. I am trying to get everyone on board to Linux. However, I
ran into a bit of a problem and hope some one out there can give me a few
pointers.

I have a P100 and installed a Either16 Lan Card to connect to Ethernet
5-Port Workgroup Hub. I have installed the card, connected it to the HUB
(get green lights) 10BaseT port. However, when I try to configure the PC for
LAN connection, it cannot find the card. I have tried automatic
configuration, manual configuration with all the suggested I/O (280,300,320
and 3240), IRQ (3,5,310,11) and everything that I can think of including
NE2000 Compatible setting. Still no luck.

If anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciated it. Thanking you
in advance.

Mike Z.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Alan Taylor)
Subject: Re: SoundBlaster 16 SCSI II
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 1998 00:13:43 GMT

On Wed, 23 Dec 1998 01:14:31 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Notmyname)
wrote:

>Does anyone know how to install the driver for the SoundBlaster 16
>SCSI II in Redhat 5.2?
Merry Christmas,
Choose the aha152x driver, and don't let it autoprobe ... instead
insert the parameters aha152x=0x340,11,7,1
presuming they are your settings (probably are)
Brgds, Alan

------------------------------

From: Dan Nguyen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: PNP Modem Problem
Date: 27 Dec 1998 02:42:36 GMT

Shay Ohayon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: I have a Boca 36.6 PnP modme.
It might be a win modem, and winmodems don't work.

--
           Dan Nguyen            | There is only one happiness in
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]         |   life, to love and be loved.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Sex & Money  2679
Date: 27 Dec 1998 02:14:11 GMT

The sex gallery !
It's all FREE here !
FREE xxx memberships,
passwords,pic,thumbnails,and
much more ! Now featuring live
hott erotic talk !
Cum by today ! WE'RE WAITING !
http://www.thesexgallery.com/

nszzbsmibdjunfrcdlkhbitfkcjymceqnuqkszrqlccomtwyzwnilpouovjbbvhvfbycujwdljhfxcziu

------------------------------

From: Tom Baldridge <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Cirrus Logic GD5480 card
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 1998 22:20:33 -0500

Does anyone have a XF86Config for a Cirrus Logic 5480 card?  Is there a
web site that archives X config files for diffrent hardware setups?

I'm trying to configure X to operate  the 5480 card at a fixed 80Hz
vert., 102 Khz horiz. to drive a IBM 9504 monitor at 1600X1200.  Any
help would be welcome.

Thanks,

Tom

------------------------------

From: Ron Crowder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: X on Cyrix 686
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 1998 22:14:05 -0500

Matt Long wrote:

> All,
>
> I can get XFree86 to run with the standard VGA_16 Server(Red Hat 5.1),
> however, when I try to increase to the SVGA Server, it tells me that
> there is not enough video memory. It says "64K Memory insufficient to
> run SVGA" or something like that. I know that I have 4 M of video memory
> according to the BIOS so I think that the server is confused. I believe
> that the video memory is actually pulled from the standard memory.
>
> The machine I am using is a new Cyrix 686. The motherboard is Amtron TX3
> and the Video card (which is integrated with the motherboard) is made by
> SIS(Can't find the model #). Has anyone else had this problem? If so,
> How'd you get Red Hat to recognize the full memory capacity?
>
> -Matt ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

I seem to recal  that you have the option of manually specifying the amount
of RAM your video card has
- did you try this yet?

^^^^^^^^ Linux ^^^^^^^^^^^^
If Linux was written by Bill Gates & Company, no one would want to switch
!!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JunkDTectr)
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 1998 03:25:12 GMT

I alway start from the beginning, have you run the setup program
on the Linksys drivers disk?  Set your desired io/irq setting,
turned off PnP on the card?

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] says...

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Leslie Mikesell)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.development.apps
Subject: Re: things I'd pay to have developed for Linux...
Date: 26 Dec 1998 21:46:38 -0600

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Bill Davidsen  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> >no need to authenticate again
>>
>> Oh, the clients I use do this transparently so I wouldn't have considered
>> it an issue.
>
>How does it do something "transparently?" He's talking about modem
>lines, so if you mean by passing information back and forth, it isn't
>going to be tranparent in the sense of not bogging response.

Transparently to the user, as in automatically reconnecting to
a share and re-authenticating when necessary.  If you are concerned
about the overhead of passing a name and password at connection
establishment, file sharing is probably the wrong approach
anyway.  But, the real problem is that you have to map the ports
to a single IP address so you can't redirect your local ports if
you have a local server running.  Has anyone tried a scheme of
IP aliases on the tunneling machine to get the effect of NAT
through an ssh connection?

   Les Mikesell

From: Jean J taoko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Xfree dga
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 1998 22:44:03 -0500

Hi
Does anyboby knows where  can I get informations about Direct Graphic
Access with XFree86 and how to manage it? The man page is not enough.

Thank

Jean J

------------------------------

From: "Jim Orfanakos" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: low cost print server
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 1998 23:33:24 -0500

I bought a HP External JetDirect 500X Print Server.  It allows supports all
the major protocols...and is 10/100.

I am printing from LINUX, Win98 and WIN NT over TCP/IP directly to the print
server

The 500X model has 3 printer ports.  Currently I have a HP IIIP and a HP
DeskJet 895C connected to it.  The 300X model has one printer port.

Lost cost however it ain't.......

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Robert Spychala)
Subject: Dual AudioPCI Sound Cards in RH5.2
Date: 27 Dec 1998 04:43:16 GMT

Has anyone installed two Ensonic AudioPCI soundcards under Linux RH 5.2 or any
other distribution for that matter? I would like to be able to encode a live signal
using Encoder 3.1 in two different bit-rates with one computer... is this possible?
Yes or No anser would be great, so I won't waste my time doing something that is not
possible with the AudioPCI souncard...

thanks,
r.S.
http://www.wknc.ncsu.edu/

------------------------------

From: "Jim Orfanakos" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Conflict with X-Windows and Linksys EtherFast 10/100 LAN Card
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 1998 23:10:25 -0500

Thanks for all your help.  I did a re-install selecting everything.  This
time I got all the directory structures, all the modules and all the source.
I was able to change the driver and re-compile a new kernel.

It appears the problem is with the SVGA X-Server.  If I install the VGA
X-Server I don't have the problem of the system locking up when networking
is enabled.  If I install the SVGA X-Server while networking is
enabled...the system locks up (even with the new driver).

Thanks again for all your help.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Nick Dreyer)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Debian Install: Where did my support aha152x scsi driver go ?
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 1998 05:07:21 GMT

After doing a standard install of Debian 2.0.34 from floppy, I used to be able
to get access to my adaptec SCSI card by just adding this line to lilo.conf:

append="aha152x,0x140,11,7"

(then running lilo, of course).

This morning I had to rebuild everything from installation files, and no scsi
drive is now being found.

Should there be a file aha152x.o under /lib/modules for the kernel "appendage"
to work, or does some other configuration file need tweaking?

If I need a aha152x.o module file, what would be the easiest way of getting it
(without recompiling from kernel source package, please !!!)

Thanks for helping. . .

|\|.

------------------------------

From: "Bernard Varaine" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ACCTON 166x MPX2 ISA PnP problems
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 1998 18:50:28 +1300

Hi,
I am having trouble configuring Suse 5.1 with this ethernet card.
Any of you used this card already ?

I am using ispnp and modules for the ne2000 compatible but with no luck...

any idea

thanks

Bernard

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Printer sharing between linux and solaris
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 1998 05:47:13 GMT

I have a DEC Alphastation running RedHat5.2 and an x86 machine running
Solaris 7.  I need to share a printer between these two machines.  What are
my options? The printer is an old Canon BJ-200e . . . Thanks in advance,

Brian

From: Bruce Thornhill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Video Capture Card ISVRIII
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 1998 00:28:43 -0400

My linux box has a PnP Intel Smart Video Recorder III capture card
(Brooktree 848 based).  Is there any support under Linux RH5.2 for this
card?

TIA

--

Bruce Thornhill      Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

[EMAIL PROTECTED] or [EMAIL PROTECTED]

http://www.accesscable.net/~bthornhill

------------------------------

From: "Prasanna V. Pendse" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Mem > 64MB
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 1998 06:59:55 +0000

I tried append="mem=128M" (long time ago). It worked for about 4 months
without any problems. Today, the machine froze up on my roommate who
instinctively hit the reset button. Now, the machine boots fine if I
remove the mem=128M from the append (albeit with only 64MB of usable
RAM).

When mem=128M is in lilo.conf, what happens is that after it detects hda
and hdb, it gives an error before INIT...

It says libc6 had some undefined symbol. Sorry, didn't write it down.

I was wondering if I could find some help on this.

I installed RH5.0 a while back and the kernel is now 2.0.35. glibc and a
whole bunch of libs. Had no problems till today.

Any help appreciated.
-Prasanna

------------------------------

From: Gary Momarison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 26 Dec 1998 22:16:48 -0800

Al Tuttle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I have 4 PCs in my little home network.  I'd like to add a print server
> so I can print to my old HP LJIIIp from any of the machines.  2 of the
> machines are Linux, 1 OS/2, and one Win95.
>
> I've been told to get one that does TCPIP.  Is that all I need to worry
> about?  Will I have protocol trouble with some print servers and not
> others?  If one says it works with Unix, can I be sure it will be ok
> with Linux?
>
> Sorry, but this subject is new to me and I'm dumb like a post.

Well, sounds to me like you've got 4 print servers there. I'm not sure
about OS/2 and Win95, but certainly your Linux computers can be set up
as print servers. Just connect the printer to one and configure the
"lpd" software appropriately on both.  I can't help you on what, if
anything, you have to do on the OS/2 and Win95 systems.

The printing HOWTO and many other printing resources can be found
via Gary's Encyclopedia at

http://www.aa.net/~swear/pedia/printing.html

------------------------------

From: Jason and Christa Dixon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 1998 00:23:59 -0500

Praise you, master Matloff!

------------------------------

From: Ellamenno Pee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Adara Imagestar I
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 1998 01:24:32 -0500

I have an Adara Imagestar I scanner.  It uses an Adaptec SCSI card.
Linux can see the scsi card fine and can see that the scanner is
attached to it fine.  Any ideas on some software that would be able to
scan from it?

The Nut

From: "Raj R. Singh" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.portable
Subject: Re: Linux sees just 64Mb out of 128Mb of memory-FIXED!
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 1998 06:26:57 +0000

I had reinstalled LILO. I don't know what the problem was, but I just upgraded
from kernel 2.0.34 to 2.0.36 (redhat 5.1 to 5.2) and the problem solved itself!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Leslie Mikesell)
Date: 27 Dec 1998 00:32:28 -0600

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Al Tuttle  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I have 4 PCs in my little home network.  I'd like to add a print server
>so I can print to my old HP LJIIIp from any of the machines.  2 of the
>machines are Linux, 1 OS/2, and one Win95.
>
>I've been told to get one that does TCPIP.  Is that all I need to worry
>about?  Will I have protocol trouble with some print servers and not
>others?  If one says it works with Unix, can I be sure it will be ok
>with Linux?
>
>Sorry, but this subject is new to me and I'm dumb like a post.

If one of the Linux boxes is up all the time, plug the printer
into it and set up lpr/lpd.  The other Linux box (and OS/2 if
you have TCP installed) can access it as a remote lpd.  Set
up samba to share to the Win95 box.

A print server will just look like a remote lpd - they are nice
if you don't plan to keep a server running all the time and they
offload some of the work, but in such a small network that probably
doesn't matter.

  Les Mikesell

From: David Pinaula <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: RivaTNT X-Server
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 1998 01:08:42 +0000

Fire Tiger wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> "B. Joshua Rosen"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> >I'm using the Riva TNT X server on a Dell Dimension XPS 450 with an STB
> >Riva TNT graphics card.
>
> I'm trying to get X-Windows (XFree86) on RedHat linux 5.1 to work with
> my ASUS RivaTNT AGP card, but I don't have a server to do that (I tried
> choosing Riva128, but it doesn't work) where can I get an X-Server for
> the RivaTNT ?

XFree86 3.3.3 includes an SVGA server that supports the TNT chip.
Upgrade your XFree86 to the latest version.

From: "Prasanna V. Pendse" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.portable
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 1998 07:42:38 +0000

"Raj R. Singh" wrote:

> I had reinstalled LILO. I don't know what the problem was, but I just upgraded
> from kernel 2.0.34 to 2.0.36 (redhat 5.1 to 5.2) and the problem solved itself!

Hmm... I have a similar problem except with mem=128M, the computer
doesn't even boot. I will try upgrading the kernel... I hope that does
it!