From: Brendan Kehoe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: making a Contour Perfit USB mouse work  under Linux
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 22:12:39 GMT

I just wanted to take a moment and scribble down these notes, since I'm sure
others have encountered the same problems.

The goal has been to make my Contour Perfit USB mouse (model UP-L-R) work with
my Linux system.  The laptop is a Toshiba Portege 3200, and it's running a
very-updated version of RedHat 6.1.  (By now it's somewhere between RedHat 6.2
and 7.0, I imagine.)  It's running a 2.2.16 kernel, with the USB patch named
        usb-2.4.0-test2-pre2-for-2.2.16
from the Linux-USB group at
        http://www.suse.cz/development/usb-backport/
        http://www.linux-usb.org

Anyway, I got my mouse to work by doing these commands:

                 insmod usbcore
                 insmod usb-uhci
                insmod input
                insmod usbmouse

My kernel build was configured to have

CONFIG_USB=m
CONFIG_USB_DEBUG=y
CONFIG_USB_UHCI=m
CONFIG_USB_MOUSE=m

(actually most of the CONFIG_USB_* stuff is set to be a module)

I then created /dev/usbmouse with:
                mknod /dev/usbmouse c 13 32
It uses major device 13 based on the result of doing a cat of /proc/devices,
which listed
                13 input

Anyway, after doing that on my non-X console screen, I then did

        gpm -k
        gpm -t ps2 -m /dev/usbmouse

and it worked!  I changed the /dev/mouse symlink to point at `usbmouse', and
with the XF86Config file containing

Section "InputDevice"
     Identifier  "PS2"
     Driver      "mouse"
     Option "Protocol"    "PS/2"
     Option "Device"      "/dev/mouse"
EndSection

running X (version 4.0.1) seems perfectly happy.  Now to make all of that
insmod'ing more automatic.

You don't want to know how long it took to find this correct sequence of
events. :)

Brendan Kehoe

CTO, nobie.com (http://www.nobie.com/)
        -- Finally true Net marketing in .ie

------------------------------

From: Jorge <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Can't get floppy to work
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 22:26:15 GMT

I am unable to I/O to my floppy drive, althoght it has been congured by
the OS when I use 'fdflush'  it reports that the following
floppy0: probe failed.
When I 'ls' the /dev/fd0 the file is set to
br----x--t 1 root floppy  2,  0 .....

I tryed the same floppy drive on a Win95 and it worked, which leads me
to accept that it is CLOS where the problem is and not in the floppy
drive.

------------------------------

From: Jorge <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ATI Rage Fury
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 22:31:12 GMT

I have the same card, and although my monitor is a vga/svga, I get
640x480 with 32 bit colour.
All you have to do is manually modify the XF86Config.
If this is what you are looking for just let me know and I'll give you
the details.

good luck!

------------------------------

From: Brendan Kehoe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: making a Contour USB Perfit mouse work with Linux
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 22:42:22 +0000

I just wanted to take a moment and scribble down these notes, since I'm sure
others have encountered the same problems.  I'd sent an earlier copy of this,
but that was missing a crucial part (the insmod of mousedev).  Thus this
revised copy is being sent in its place.  I think this information would be a
great addition to the www.contourdesign.com/perfit_linux.htm page, which at
the moment only talks about the PS/2 and Serial uses of the Perfit.

The goal has been to make my Contour Perfit USB mouse (model UP-L-R) work with
my Linux system.  The laptop is a Toshiba Portege 3200, and it's running a
very-updated version of RedHat 6.1.  (By now it's somewhere between RedHat 6.2
and 7.0, I imagine.)  It's running a 2.2.16 kernel, with the USB patch named
         usb-2.4.0-test2-pre2-for-2.2.16
from the Linux-USB group at
         http://www.suse.cz/development/usb-backport/
         http://www.linux-usb.org

(I've started to try out 2.2.18, but have stuck to 2.2.16 due to the system
freezing while loading up serial_cb for my Xircom 10/100 PCMCIA ethernet card.
  Long story; suffice it to stay, I'm not investing a lot of time into that yet.)

Anyway, I got my mouse to work by doing these commands:

                 insmod usbcore
                 insmod usb-uhci
                 insmod input
                 insmod usbmouse
                insmod mousedev

[...]

events. :)  In retrospect it sure seems obvious, but...

From: "PyrO" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 22:43:17 GMT

In your XF86Config file, go to the Screen section (I believe its the screen
section) where it shows you the different types of resolution / colour depth
/ etc. Now the first resolution X reads is obviously the first one (in your
case, 640x480). Delete the one that you dont want and have your default /
favorite resolution the first one (instead of 640x480, change it to
1024x768).

Enjoy

.
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: Andrey Vlasov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: new hard disk
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 23:13:34 GMT

==============F7BECF500108CDF08414216B

Ivan Danicic wrote:

> Hello,
> My pc has two hard discs: disk 1 for windows 98, disk 2 for linux (debian).
> I have always accessed disk 1 from linux with the command "mount /dev/hda1"
> (as root) with the corresponding line in /etc/fstab:
> /dev/hda1   /win  vfat   defaults  0  2

/dev/hda2 /mnt/win2 vfat   defaults  0  2

if D: located on extended patition it should be /dev/hda5 instead /dev/hda1

/dev/hd?1-/dev/hd?4 primary partiotions
/dev/hd?5-??????????? extended partiotions

Andrey

--

== System Development & Support Systems ============================
Andrey Vlassov                          Phones: +1-(604)-482-5792

==============F7BECF500108CDF08414216B

Ivan Danicic wrote:
2</blockquote>
/dev/hda2 /mnt/win2 vfat&nbsp;&nbsp; defaults&nbsp; 0&nbsp; 2

============================
Vlassov</font>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
 Phones: +1-(604)-482-5792
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
 +1-(604)-482-5791
E-Mail: <a
href="mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]">[EMAIL PROTECTED]</a>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
 Home:&nbsp;&nbsp; +1-(604)-294-6653
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <a
href="mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]">[EMAIL PROTECTED]</a>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
 Pager:&nbsp; <a href="http://www.bctm.com/bc/paging/pagsend.htm">+1-(604)-473-1754
</a>====================================================================</pre>
&nbsp;</html>

From: "news.btx.dtag.de" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux.suse,comp.os.linux.networking,de.comp.os.unix.linux.hardware
Subject: D-Link DFE 550 FX
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 00:21:26 +0100

Hi Newsgroup!

Does anybody know, if the D-Link DFE 550 FX NIC works with SuSE Linux 7.0?

If yes: how can I get it to work?

Thanks a lot!

Christian
Hi Leute!

Weiß jemand von Euch, ob die D-Link DFE 550 FX mit SuSE Linux 7.0
funktioniert?

Wenn ja: wie?

Vielen Dank!

Christian

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: configuration ttyS0 on HP netserver lc2000
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 23:28:21 GMT

Running Redhat 6.1, but with 2.2.17 Kernel. I can't
seem to get my /dev/ttyS0 to work, nor /dev/ttyS1.

  I'm trying to install APC Powerchute software for the
  SmartUps 2200, but it can't talk to the serial port.
   940-0024C is the serial cable used...

  Are there special Kernel options for the drivers?
  I called HP, and they didn't have a clue.......
  Couldnt even tell me the chipset for the uarts..

  -Phil C.
.---------------------------------------------------------
| P. A. Carinhas, Ph.D.        |  [EMAIL PROTECTED]      |
| Fortuitous Technologies Inc. |  http://fortuitous.com   |
| Linux Training Services      |  Tel : 1-512 467-2154    |

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: "Stewart Heitmann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: soundblaster16 PnP plays 16-bit as noise
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 10:42:19 +1100

Hi all,
does anyone know if 16-bit DMA actually works for
an ISA SoundBlaster16 PnP card running under Linux 2.2.x (RedHat) ?

I can get 8-bit (DMA 1) and MIDI working ok, but 16-bit (DMA 2)
plays sounds overlayed by an awful white noise hiss.
I can still hear the original sound under the hiss if I listen carefully so
things
cant be too far wrong - byte ordering problem perhaps?

Anyway, i've tried every combination of interrupt and port that sndconfig
allows me and still no luck.
Has anyone had this problem too?

stewart heitmann

------------------------------

From: Henning Pedersen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Which motherboard?
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 18:52:15 -0500

Hej everybody.

I am planning to make a new linux box with dual processor and I have so far
found 3 boards that is ok in price. Is there anyone who has experience with
any of them then I would like to know about it.
the boards are the following:

1. TYAN Tiger230 S2507
2. VP6 Abit Dual FC-PGA Socket
3. EPOX EP-D3VA

Thanks in advance.

Henning.

------------------------------

From: sik <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Running linux on 486
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 00:05:46 GMT

Actually.. I'm not planning on even using Gnome or KDE.. or any other
gui.... do you know if there is any linux distro that is small enough
that i could download and fit on a couple of floppies?

------------------------------

From: Jens Stomber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux.suse,comp.os.linux.networking,de.comp.os.unix.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: D-Link DFE 550 FX
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 01:30:11 GMT

Am besten mal unter www.dlink.de die neusten Linux Treiber runterladen. =

In der Knowledge Base wirst du sicherlich einen guten Rat finden.

Mit freundlichen Gr=FC=DFen Jens Stomber

Am 15.12.00, 00:21:26, schrieb "news.btx.dtag.de"=20
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> zum Thema D-Link DFE 550 FX:

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: CD key for the PowerDVD 1.6
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 01:37:56 GMT

I lost the CD key for my PowerDVD 1.6 CD-ROM.  If you happen to have it,
please send it to me at [EMAIL PROTECTED]
I really appreciate that.

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: Black Cat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: sox: Invalid audio buffer size 0
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 18:58:04 -0700

        I'm trying to get my linux box to use the Sound Blaster card, but when
I try to play a sound bit from play, it gives me this error.
        I've made sure that the irq, io, and dma settings were correct.  I
cross referenced them with the win98 that's running on it and the
modprobe in the startup scripts. The /dev/sndstat looks like this:

root@remsik:/fat-d/desktop/Sounds# cat /dev/sndstat
OSS/Free:3.8s2++-971130
Load type: Driver loaded as a module
Kernel: Linux remsik 2.2.16 #97 Fri Jun 16 19:45:30 PDT 2000 i686
Config options: 0

Installed drivers:

Card config:

Audio devices:
0: Sound Blaster 16 (4.12) (DUPLEX)

Synth devices:
0: Yamaha OPL3

Midi devices:

Timers:
0: System clock

Mixers:
0: Sound Blaster
root@remsik:/fat-d/desktop/Sounds#

        I'm running a slackware 7.1.
        Pleaze help, this is starting to get on my nerves..
                Ron

------------------------------

From: "Jennifer Sinsley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Cable Modem Connecting???
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 02:05:11 GMT

It is the right adapter..  the SMC 2202.  I am just having trouble finding
out how to install it

"Keith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:QV7_5.147554$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Thu, 14 Dec 2000 13:14:41 GMT, Jennifer Sinsley
>  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > In my device manager it says EZ Connect USB/Eithernet Converter.  The
Driver
> > manufacture is SMC.  I can not find any numbers...   and in Control
Panel
> > and Network... it says EZ Connect USB / Eithernet Converter.  Doesn't
give
> > driver info
>
> There has to be a number on your SMC USB device. Look at your USB device
and
> not the software or control panel. It should at least have a FCC-ID number
on it.

> > scribe/Grpahics-magic
> > "Keith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:iE2_5.146873$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > latest
> > anyone
> > Linux.
> > > >

> > > What USB device do you have? If it is the SMC 2202 then you can use
> > > the Pegasus driver. See http://www.scyld.com/
> > > also see http://www.linux-usb.org/
> > >

> > > --
> > >
> > > Best Regards,
> > >
> > > Keith         (Use Reply-to for email)
> > > Avertir ce page Web est illégal pour visualiser en France.
> > > --
> > > Where do you discover free software for Windows? Strongsignals DOT COM
is
> > > great place to start: http://Strongsignals.com  "Where would
Christianity
> > be
> > > if Jesus got eight to fifteen years with time off for good behavior?"
NY

From: Carl Paul <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 21:28:00 -0500

sik wrote:

> Actually.. I'm not planning on even using Gnome or KDE.. or any other
> gui.... do you know if there is any linux distro that is small enough
> that i could download and fit on a couple of floppies?

Try http://www.toms.net/rb/home.html

In addition to the main attraction (tomsrtbt) he has links to many other
small distros...

        Carl