From: Peter Teuben <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: speed of zip drives: vfat vs. ext2
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 00:32:38 -0500

Wow, my first real experience with a ZIP drive. On an internal
IDE zip, running Win3.11 a 70MB file took a stunning 2600"
to copy, that's about 26k/sec, just about floppy speed. Absurd.

Took it to another machine, running linux, and copied it using
an external SCSI ZIP. vfat format, and the copy took 400", or about
175k/sec. Not all that great. Then decided to try it using ext2
format, and the copy time went down to 80", or about 875k/sec.
That's more reasonable.

I won't even touch the Win3.11 speed, but why should a vfat - in
principle a much simpler format - be so much slower than ext2?

- peter

------------------------------

From: "David M. Reed" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Keyboard locks up when not in use
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 1998 22:16:23 -0700

Whenever my Linux server goes for a day or so without any keyboard activity,
the keyboard locks up and I have to reboot to get it back. I can still
telnet into the box, connect via Samba, dial out, etc.

I get this message in /var/adm/messages - "kernel: keyboard error."

I am running S.u.S.E. 5.3 on a Cyrix 5x86 system. I've heard that if the CPU
clock speed on the motherboard is wrong the keyboard may give errors, but
I've double checked the settings on this system.

My keytable is set to "us" in /etc/rc.config. I've also tried using a
different keyboard.

Any help is appreciated.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Frisettes)
Subject: CDROM detected in Boot-Up but not in Setup
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 06:07:33 GMT

I use an old SCSI Pro Audio Spectrum 2X CDROM with the adapter card on my
sound card.

During boot-up it *is* recognised, but as I enter color.gz, and select the
source of installation, it fails in recognising my cd-rom.

So I know I have the right boot-disk. But as my computer is scanned for a
source CDROM, it is not detected: it gives me the reply that there is an
ioctl error (I didn’t write it down). Also, after I do this another time, I
can’t eject my CDROM anymore: what is going on?

Can anybody help me?
FRISETTES WILL RETURN

------------------------------

From: "Jamerz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Unidentified netwok card
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 1998 20:22:19 -0800

This is the web page I came up with:

http://www.skywell.com.tw/pci2000e.htm

It looks to be a NE2000 PCI compatable network card. Have you tried that
driver?

Jamerz

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Gerben Welter)
Subject: chs/lba mixup in Linux
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 1998 23:49:27 GMT

Hi!

I thought I had a simple problem, but it's been driving me crazy for a
few weeks now.
I'm trying to install RH 5.2 on a new machine but with an extra IBM
1.3 gig hd for Linux. The hd is listed in the bios as lba with
c,h,s=620,64,63
But Linux sees it as a 'normal' drive and not as lba. So Linux lists
it as c,h,s=2480,16,63. But I want Linux to use this disk as a lba
disk. So someone told me give to the following boot parameter:

hdc=620,64,16

That seemed to help, because at boottime Linux uses these parameters
as chs values. But later on I notice that the data is corrupted. E.g.
the type of the linux partition isn't 82 but 92. And this was not a
typo from me when I was partitiong the disk. :(

Is this drive incompatible in some way or am I missing something here?

System:

AOpen AX6BC w/ PII-400 w/ latest bios (ver 2.10)
IBM DJAA 31270 Jafar on the secondary controller.

Grtz Gerben.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 27 Dec 1998 23:14:53 -0700
From: Kyle Dansie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: speed of zip drives: vfat vs. ext2

Peter Teuben wrote:

> Wow, my first real experience with a ZIP drive. On an internal
> IDE zip, running Win3.11 a 70MB file took a stunning 2600"
> to copy, that's about 26k/sec, just about floppy speed. Absurd.
>
> Took it to another machine, running linux, and copied it using
> an external SCSI ZIP. vfat format, and the copy took 400", or about
> 175k/sec. Not all that great. Then decided to try it using ext2
> format, and the copy time went down to 80", or about 875k/sec.
> That's more reasonable.
>
> I won't even touch the Win3.11 speed, but why should a vfat - in
> principle a much simpler format - be so much slower than ext2?
>
> - peter

The ext2 is native linux format. The OS is optimized for its favorite
file system, so it is faster. vfat is made  by that other guy so it is
naturally much slower.

Cheers,
Kyle Dansie
Linux Rules
          ZIP drive Mini-HOWTO
http://njtcom.com/dansie/zip-drive.html
                    or
http://sunsite.unc.edu/mdw/HOWTO/mini/ZIP-Drive.html

From: Joe Tham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: DVD Decoder cards?!
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 06:52:02 GMT

Anyone out there know of support for hardware DVD decoding on Linux?
I've got a CineMaster (Quadrant Inc) and Creative DXR2...

Joe Tham

------------------------------

From: Rich Grise <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux.dial-up,alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: Newbie Modem Dial-up Problem
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 1998 20:02:20 -0600

Jason and Christa Dixon wrote:

> Hi-  I'm trying to configure my new RedHat Linux 5.2 to identify and
> initialize my modem, but I'm having some problems.  I'll go ahead and
> list everything I know about my configs:
[...]
> Thanks in advance,
> Jason
>
> P.S.  The modem is a CPI Viva 56LC-SM (K56 flex) modem.

Throw it away and buy a real modem. On their website they say,
"The ViVa/56LC-V for the best value in 56K...
In comparison, the Lucent-based ViVa/56LC-V offers equivalent 56K
operation
for Windows 95, Windows 98 and Windows NT 4.0 but offloads some modem
functions to the PC. The result is a more cost-effective design without
sacrificing communications performance."

IOW, winmodem that needs windows drivers do to the DSP. It will not
work in a Linux environment. No drivers. I got a "Best Data" or
generic 56K for US$79.95, and it works like a champ! (also, it'll
probably use IRQ 3 or 4, depending on how you jumper it, but that'll
be in the instructions.)

One thing I found, in making the transition, is when I bought the
real modem, and installed it in win, performance jumped about 300%.
Because the CPU wasn't spending 2/3 of its time doing stuff that
modems are supposed to do.

Cheers!
--
Rich Grise
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "William Taylor" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Linux SMP revisited
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 07:29:43 GMT

Correct. My mistake. How long until slot A arrives?

IMO, consumer SMP is a great idea IF you can combine it with lots of low
priced CPU's. You can get Celeron 300a's for $70 these days and that equals
around 6 celerons (1800mhz) for the price of one PII 450.

Alas no quad or octal motherboards available and the Celeron needs a
hardware hack to do SMP.

But, with Linux or any UNIX SMP is pretty great because of the basic
granularity of the OS and the processes running under it. NT is a little
less cool. BeOS really shines on SMP boxes

WT

From: Johann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: I4L: SuSE with USR-Sportster ISDN external TA
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 1998 19:17:07 +0100

Hy!

I'm new in Linux and using SuSE 5.3. I want to configure the ISDN4Linux
via yast.
My ISDN TA is an US-Robotics Sportster ISDN TA (EXTERNAL).
My question: Is it possible to use this TA, what have I to enter at
yast's I4L-entry-fields (card-type, IRQ, ...)...

thanks a lot
Johann

------------------------------

From: lattin96 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: will someone please help me ??
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 03:19:03 -0500

Hello,
Will someone please tell me how to run the install program ? I have a
plug-in (ump) and i dont know how to install it .I got it unzipped and
un-tared  and i cant get the ump.so to install ....
Is it  something like this in xterm (install -i
/home/tom/plugins/ump.so ) I have redhat 5.1
And i have been asking for help for a couple of days now . and i never
got a reply to the newsgroups or my email .
My email is  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Thanks in advance : Thomas W

------------------------------

Subject: Sound card trouble..
From: keme <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 27 Dec 1998 06:57:49 GMT
Crossposted-To:
news.software.nntp,alt.gothic,soc.culture.jewish,uk.test,soc.culture.israel,comp.multimedia,comp.os.linux.setup

"BICUSPID" BARRY BOUWSMA BORINGLY BITES BIG BAD BRITISH BISEXUAL BACKSTREET BULLDOGS
!!!

------------------------------

From: Shashank Misra <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Inexpensive Inkjet, etc printers for Linux
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 02:33:21 -0600

Hello,

First, there is the question of what you mean by linux-compatible. For most
people, this means can print postscript either natively ($$$), or through
ghostscript. There is a list of printers/printer languages ghostscript
understands- http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/printer.html
However, if this means prints anything at all, almost every printer I have ever
seen will print ascii in linux.

There is the issue of what printer language the printer understands (info largely
gleened from Printer HOWTO, knowledge of ghostscript). Let me warn you that there
is a non-trivial portion of the cheap inkjet market that consists of 'smart
printers.' They are actually quite dumb- they rely on the cpu for processing
entirely, and frequently have windows drivers _only_. Ghostscript now has a
kludge where you can sometimes get these suckers to work using (!) windows
drivers. Not Recommended. Lexmark, unfortunately, has made many printers of this
genre. There are also a new class of printers that understand Adobe PrintGear
(???) language. Look elsewhere. There are only four basic languages you are
really safe with- PCL (from HP), PostScript (from Adobe), whatever Canon uses in
their inkjets, and whatever Epson uses in theirs.

OK- what software do you need? First, if you don't have a postscript printer, get
ghostscript. Second, get something like aps (look at printing HOWTO to figure out
more about it) to manage spools. The HOWTO will do a good job of explaining
things.

So, what's the upshot? The Epson should work- Stylus 400 is listed by
ghostscript, and 440 will probably work. The lexmark I have doubts about. If
looking for another cheap inkjet that _will_ work, try HP's dekjets (ok color,
good b&w). Canon is very well-supported in linux as well, and handles color
printing quite admirably.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Redhat 5.0 + Brother HJ-400
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 06:52:43 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Torbjorn Sjogren <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I have a question about configuring my printer with linux.

> I´ts a 'Brother HJ-400' and it can emulate a 'Epson ESC/P (LQ-510)' and
> a IBM PPS II 2390 (proprinter X24e )' i try to configure it with redhats
> printing tool but i cant print a postscript file.

I have one of these, but no manual. It has two interfaces, on parallel and one
serial, and a switch to decide whether the serial port is Apple or IBM. I can
get it to feed paper, but can't get it to print from my computer (which may be
the cable) or print a self-test.

If anyone reading this has a manual, can you please post a quick summary of
what the buttons do, and in particular, how to get (1) a self test and/or (2)
any kind of setup/configuration menu out of it. A CC copy to my email address
would be especially helpful.

From: Shashank Misra <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: the i740, svga, and resolution problems
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 02:41:33 -0600

Hey,

Yeah, you nailed it on the head- you're not running the right server (i.e. you are
running SVGA, while you want to be running XBF_i740). Make sure when you 'got the
server' you followed the instructions. If yes, just running xf86config from
the command prompt should guide you through everything ok (I don't particularly
recommend editing XF86Config file by hand unless you have to).

cheers
shashank

------------------------------

From: "Osvaldo Pinali Doederlein" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 09:41:17 +0100

William Taylor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:HrGh2.3887$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>But, with Linux or any UNIX SMP is pretty great because of the basic
>granularity of the OS and the processes running under it. NT is a little
>less cool. BeOS really shines on SMP boxes

What is the problem?  Okay that NT has a small number of big processes, but
these processes are split in several threads so the net granularity shall be
very similar.