Linux-Hardware Digest #41, Volume #13            Wed, 14 Jun 00 00:13:05 EDT

Contents:
  Re: R, G, and B (David C.)
  Re: R, G, and B (David C.)
  Re: Network card (Steve)
  Red Hat 6.2 Video (Tatt2d)
  z-51 (I'm Your Handiman -Online-)
  Re: Network card ("David ..")
  Re: ethernet card support (root)
  Re: What is a decent inexpensive 100BT  4 port hub? ("David L. Little")
  Re: What's a cheap 100BaseT ethernet card? (Walter Francis)
  nec 4x4  CD-ROM: anyone using this puppy? (Rafael Block)
  Yamaha sound card? ("devdut")
  Re: 2.2.15 + USB patch hangs on my Athlon (Konstantinos Agouros)
  Re: Motorola 56k modem with linux (J Wendel)
  Re: Montego II Sound Card (J Wendel)
  Re: Troubles reading Real Time Clock (Akira Yamanita)
  IDE lockup problems (2.4.0-test1 w/ a bp6 motherboard) ("David Lee Ludwig")
  Re: Troubles reading Real Time Clock ("101011")
  Re: eMachines and other Integrated Systems (Steve Martin)
  Dos partition ("Martin Smith")
  Re: R, G, and B (Steve Martin)
  Re: R, G, and B (Steve Martin)
  Re: Aureal "Vortex" Soundcard Petition (Craig McCluskey)
  Re: R, G, and B (B'ichela)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David C.)
Subject: Re: R, G, and B
Date: 13 Jun 2000 20:11:05 -0400

D G <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I believe that would be an analog monitor, which won't work with the
> digital "D connector" VGA interface.

A VGA interface is analog, not digital.  That's why you can get 24-bit
color with only 15 wires.  A digital monitor capable of true-color would
require at least 25 pins (possibly more.)

-- David

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David C.)
Date: 13 Jun 2000 20:22:51 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Sakari Aaltonen) writes:

> I could upgrade, cheaply, to a (used) monitor that has a larger screen
> than my current one. Unfortunately, the video cable is really three
> cables, R, G, and B. Is there any way of connecting it to my 'normal'
> PC video card with the single D connector?

Adapter cables for this do exist.

If you don't have one, they can be made, although you may not find it
easy.  They can also be purchsed.  Look around flea markets - usually
some dumpster-diver has one or two for sale.  You can probably also get
one from the monitor's manufacturer, but it may not be a cheap cable.

The Red, Green and Blue pins (and their associated grounds) get wired to
three BNC connectors via coaxial cable.  Signal in the center conductor,
ground on the shield.

Horizontal- and Vertical-Sync should be wired to two more BNC connectors
(also via coaxial cable).

If your monitor doesn't have HSync or VSync inputs, then (as was already
mentioned), it is expecting the Sync singals to be modulated with the
Green signal.  Many video cards can support this, but you will probably
have to configure them specifically for this.

Some cables (like the ones I have for attaching these kinds of monitors
to Sun workstations) have R, G, B and HSync, but not VSync.  This also
works fine - at least all of the monitors I use don't seem to have a
problem.  I'm not sure if VSync is on the Green wire or if it's muxed
with the HSync signal.

-- David

------------------------------

From: Steve <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Network card
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 00:31:08 GMT

The Netgear FA310TX looks like what I might try... did you have any real
conflicts?  did you need to recompile the kernal and add new drivers or
what?  thanks a lot

------------------------------

From: Tatt2d <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Red Hat 6.2 Video
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 00:30:06 GMT

Is there any way to install the video bug fix,( new kernel ) without losing
my other settings? I have tried, but my network, sound, and some other
modules, don't like it! Also, assuming I have it installed, how do I go
about changing my video card from this damn generic vga, to my Nvidia
GeForce? I wouldn't mind losing the network for a while, if I had more than
4 colors....

From: I'm Your Handiman -Online- <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: z-51
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 17:53:40 -0700

hi anyone..

  I use a lexmark Z-51..so far only text driver.......anyone out there
got a graphics driver working with it and hopefully color ta boot......

lexmark doesn't have anything for it yet what i h ave is from linux user
just no color/graphics..

Thanks
lee-

------------------------------

From: "David .." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 20:04:20 -0500

I would agree with Dan. I use the 3com 905B in one of my systems.

But I also have a couple of systems that use the linksys 10/100 PCI
cards and they work well also. Just not as easy to configure since I had
to compile the module on both my systems that use the linksys cards.

--
Registered with the Linux Counter.  http://counter.li.org
ID # 123538

------------------------------

From: root <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: ethernet card support
Date: 14 Jun 2000 00:19:30 GMT

I have that card and it is an RTL8139.  There is a driver for it.
HP purchased it from a third party and had them put their name on it.

In comp.os.linux.setup Scott Countryman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
SC# Yeah, I think that's good advice from Matt.

SC# One thing to always try with an ethernet card under linux (when you can't find
SC# your exact driver) is to disable plug and play for the card (if it's PNP, of
SC# course), assign your IRQ and  I/O address manually, and give the NE2000 driver
SC# a shot.

SC# Like Matt says, many older ethernet cards are either NE2000s internally, or at
SC# least have an NE2000 emulation mode you can use.

SC# Your card is newer (being a 10/100),  but it won't take long to try the NE2000
SC# idea and it may work for you.

SC# Best-O-Luck,
SC# /Scott

SC# Dances With Crows wrote:

>> On Sun, 14 May 2000 21:17:11 GMT, Eric Decker
>> <<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> shouted forth into the ether:
>> >My ethernet card is a HP EN1207d-TX PCI 10/100.
>> >
>> >It appears to not be on the supported list, if I am reading it
>> >correctly.  Is there any way for me to find out if someone is working on
>> >a driver for this card?  If not, maybe I'll just have to write one
>> >myself.
>>
>> Well, what's "cat /proc/pci" show when the thing is plugged in?  Or what
>> does the file in /var/log/boot.msg say about hte card?  There are a number
>> of HP net cards supported, and the model number may or may not bear any
>> relation to the chip that's actually on the card.  I suppose you could
>> also try the ne2k-pci module; a lot of the cheaper cards have a
>> manufacturer name on the box and are actually NE2000s internally.
>>
>> There's a relatively good O'Reilly book about writing Linux device drivers
>> out there if all else fails...
>>
>> --
>> Matt G / Dances With Crows              \###| You have me mixed up with more
>> There is no Darkness in Eternity         \##| creative ways of being stupid,
>> But only Light too dim for us to see      \#| as I have to run nothing but a
>> (Unless, of course, you're working with NT)\| burp in the butt.  --MegaHAL

SC# --
SC# ----------------------------------------------------------------------
SC# - Titan Logic Systems - http://www.titanlogic.com
SC# -
SC# - "The Linux systems you want:
SC# - Powerful.  Versatile.  Affordable."
SC# -
SC# - 614 Edmonds, Ste. 209  Lewisville, Tx  75067
SC# - Toll Free:  1 877 94 LINUX (1 877 945-4689)
SC# - Email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
SC# -
SC# - Scott Countryman  -  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
SC# - President & CEO
SC# ----------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

From: "David L. Little" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What is a decent inexpensive 100BT  4 port hub?
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 20:41:10 -0500

I also have the LinkSys 5 port hub and experience the same problems with freeze
ups. It requires that I press the reset button in back every few days.

------------------------------

From: Walter Francis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What's a cheap 100BaseT ethernet card?
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 22:00:46 -0400

Nick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> What's a cheap 100BaseT ethernet card?  Preferably with the tulip
> chipset since I know that has good driver support.  TIA

CompUSA has SMC EZNet 10/100BaseT PCI nic's for $15, they work great..
I have three of them, no problems at all.  They use the rtl8139 chipset,
which is well supported under Linux and are reported to be a SMC1211TX
series.  No need to limit yourself to the Tulip chipset.

Make sure you get the 10/100 PCI card, the ISA cards might be
different..

--
Walter Francis
http://wally.hplx.net                      Powered by Red Hat Linux 6.0

------------------------------

From: Rafael Block <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: nec 4x4  CD-ROM: anyone using this puppy?
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 02:32:10 GMT

Does anyone have any ezperience with the CDR-C251 4x4 CD-ROM changer by
NEC? I can get it hooked up and working, but I can't get it to work on
the three other slots. Thanks in advance.

--
Rafael Block
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "devdut" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Yamaha sound card?
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 04:41:25 +0200

Is there somewhere I can get a driver for a Yamaha sound card?
I neeed sound!!!!

Thanks

devdut

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Konstantinos Agouros)
Subject: Re: 2.2.15 + USB patch hangs on my Athlon
Date: 13 Jun 2000 21:45:15 +0200

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Anders Skovsted Buch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>> >No, it has mostly happended when I left my computer idle for a couple of hours.
>> >But it hasn't happened a lot.
>> Hmmm strange I thought for quite some while that vmware killed it. But now I had
>> lockups without it. Do you use APM?

>Yes, I like to have my computer shut itself off.  I just checked my kernel
>configuration.  I chose "yes" for "Make cpu idle calls when idle", and "no" to all
>other
>APM options.  Maybe that is my problem?  From the help text:

>Enable calls to APM CPU Idle/CPU Busy inside the kernel's idle loop.  ...  On some
>machines, this will cause a hang at boot time or whenever the CPU becomes idle.
Sounds like what I see... good reading \:) I will try this.

Konstantin
--
Dipl-Inf. Konstantin Agouros aka Elwood Blues. Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Otkerstr. 28, 81547 Muenchen, Germany. Tel +49 89 69370185

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (J Wendel)
Subject: Re: Motorola 56k modem with linux
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 02:48:13 GMT

I had the same problem (with a Zoom modem), modem always reported as
busy.

Ran setserial /dev/ttyS0, it reported that the UART type was NONE. So,
I  did setserial /dev/ttys0 UART 16550A (something like that, see man
setserial for exact details). Problem solved.

setserial is you friend!

Good luck,

John

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (J Wendel)
Subject: Re: Montego II Sound Card
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 02:48:14 GMT

Check the aureal web site for a driver. It doesn't work very well, but
it's better than nothing. Maybe ALSA driver in the future.

Good luck,

John

------------------------------

From: Akira Yamanita <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Troubles reading Real Time Clock
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 02:59:11 GMT

Edward Lee wrote:

> What is the standard notation for time server, similar to ns (name server).  ts
> did not work for me.  Are there public time servers available, if my isp does not
> have it?

I don't think there's a real naming standard for NTP servers. I've
seen ntp, clock, gps, gpstime, etc.

This site has a list of public time servers. Someone posted a more
official one recently. Try a search on deja.com.

http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/servers.htm

------------------------------

From: "David Lee Ludwig" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: IDE lockup problems (2.4.0-test1 w/ a bp6 motherboard)
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 03:09:08 GMT

For quite some time now, I've been having stability problems under Linux.
Right now, I am using 2.4.0-test1 for a kernel, however the problems
existed under 2.2 (any version.)

These problems really began to flare up (my system now locks up at least
once a day, usually more) when I added a new hard drive to the system; a
Maxtor DiamondMax 40 (Model #54098U8).  The system this was added to is a
Dual Celeron 366 (not overclocked) on an Abit BP6 motherboard.  The IDE
chipset being used is an onboard HPT366 (it, along with the new hard
drive, supports UDMA66.)

When Linux crashes [under this hardware configuration], it goes down hard.
That is, it becomes completely unresponsive to any of the magic sysrq
keys.

After stress testing the system (details below), I was able to get the
following error message:

hde: timeout waiting for DMA
ide_dmaproc: chipset suported ide_dma_timeout func only 14

To stress the system, I ran the following script:

for DEVN in 1 5 6 7 8; do
cat /dev/hde$DEVN /dev/null &
done

The system will not crash immediately after running this, nor will it come
down after any specific amount of time.  However, it rarely takes more
than a minute or two to have the system lock up [after running the
script].

Any thoughts?  Ideas?

--
David Ludwig               | "The Linux philosophy is laugh in the face of
davidl<at>wpi.edu          | danger.  Oops.  Wrong One.  'Do it yourself.'

------------------------------

From: "101011" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 13:10:28 +1000

Akira Yamanita <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Edward Lee wrote:
> >
> > What is the standard notation for time server, similar to ns (name server).
ts
> > did not work for me.  Are there public time servers available, if my isp
does not
> > have it?

Easier to cut-and-paste the following:

bigben.cac.washington.edu
bitsy.mit.edu
canon.inria.fr
chronos.univ-rennes1.fr
clock.cmc.ec.gc.ca
clock.isc.org
clock.llnl.gov
clock.nc.fukuoka-u.ac.jp
clock.osf.org
clock.tl.fukuoka-u.ac.jp
fuzzy.nta.no
jamtepat.singnet.com.sg
lerc-dns.lerc.nasa.gov
mizbeaver.udel.edu
navobs1.gatech.edu
navobs1.usnogps.navy.mil
navobs1.wustl.edu
navobs2.usnogps.navy.mil
ncar.ucar.edu
ncnoc.ncren.net
ntp.cc.utexas.edu
ntp.cs.mu.OZ.AU
ntp.dgf.uchile.cl
ntp.ml.csiro.au
ntp.nasa.gov
ntp.syd.dms.csiro.au
ntp0.ja.net
ntp0.nl.net
ntp0.sdd.hp.com
ntp1.delmarva.com
ntp1.nss.udel.edu
ntp1.sony.com
ntp2.usno.navy.mil
ntps1-0.cs.tu-berlin.de
ntps1-0.uni-erlangen.de
ntps1-1.cs.tu-berlin.de
ntps1-1.rz.Uni-Osnabrueck.DE
ntps1-1.uni-erlangen.de
ntps1-2.uni-erlangen.de
otc1.psu.edu
rackety.udel.edu
swisstime.ethz.ch
tempo.cstv.to.cnr.it
tick.mit.edu
tick.ucla.edu
tick.uh.edu
tick.usask.ca
tick.usno.navy.mil
time.ien.it
time.nist.gov
time.service.uit.no
Time1.Stupi.SE
time-a.nist.gov
time-a.timefreq.bldrdoc.gov
time-b.nist.gov
time-b.timefreq.bldrdoc.gov
tock.usask.ca
tock.usno.navy.mil
truechimer.cso.uiuc.edu
umd1.umd.edu
usno.pa-x.dec.com
utcnist.microsoft.com
utcnist1.reston.mci.net
wave.mbari.org
wwvb.erg.sri.com
wwvb.isi.edu

------------------------------

From: Steve Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: eMachines and other Integrated Systems
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 22:18:06 -0400

Chris Harshman wrote:

> for.  Most notably, I have seen a *lot* (considerably higher than what I
> would consider the norm) of these units go belly up after a few weeks /
> months with dead power supplies.

I have to concur on this. We had four of these boxes sent to us by
our corporate office, and I bought a couple more since then. Of
those six, we have had to send two back to the factory for warranty
replacement, one for a dead power supply and one for a supply that
spontaneously shut itself down for no reason whatever (the operator
could even be across the room when the shutdown occurred). In the
first case (the spontaneous shutdown), I had to move heaven, earth,
and half of Georgia before the customer service people would agree
that there was a problem and would agree to a swap. (They had me try
to reload the machine from a new restore CD, they had me try different
drivers, I got to talk to no fewer than six different reps before I
got satisfaction on that one, and it took two weeks). My luck was a
little
better on the second machine (the deader); I called, they had me try two
little things that I could try immediately on the bench, and they then
agreed that it was dead and gave me an RMA. I'm not buying any more
eMachines and am recommending that nobody in our corporation do so.

> > the modem, so that's no problem.  But my biggest concern is reliability.
> > I'm not going to be able to physically get at the machine at all, so it
> > better not be having hardware trouble!

Steer clear, then. That's my official recommendation.

------------------------------

From: "Martin Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Dos partition
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 12:07:51 -0400

I have a Win98 partition I want to mount (Slackware)

so I did: mkfs -t msdos /dev/hda1

attempting to make a file system too large :it says?

------------------------------

From: Steve Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 22:06:38 -0400

"David C." wrote:

> D G <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> >
> > I believe that would be an analog monitor, which won't work with the
> > digital "D connector" VGA interface.
>
> A VGA interface is analog, not digital.

Actually, there are (according to Winn Rosch) new digital VGA
connections
on some systems that use flat-panel displays. This new system does not
use a "standard" 15-pin VGA connector, however. If your computer has the
standard 15-pin D connector, then it's one of the analog variety, and it
should work with your monitor (assuming you can straighten out the
sync issues raised by the other respondents to your message).

------------------------------

From: Steve Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 22:07:24 -0400

From: Craig McCluskey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Aureal "Vortex" Soundcard Petition
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 22:26:45 -0500

> If you have one of these cards, or you want to promote open hardware
> specifications, you should sign this petition.
>
> The petition can be found here:
> http://linuxgames.com/petitions/show_full_text.php3?petitionName=Aureal

How about submitting this to comp.os.linux.announce?

Thanks,

Craig

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (B'ichela)
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 23:44:54 -0400

On Tue, 13 Jun 2000 13:51:52 -0700, D G <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Sakari Aaltonen wrote:
>>
>> I could upgrade, cheaply, to a (used) monitor that has a larger
>> screen than my current one. Unfortunately, the video cable is
>> really three cables, R, G, and B. Is there any way of connecting
>> it to my 'normal' PC video card with the single D connector?
>
>I believe that would be an analog monitor, which won't work with the
>digital "D connector" VGA interface.

        I hate to say this but.... VGA IS Analog! what he has is most
likely a "sync on green" monitor system. I believe it was Gene Heskett
who posts in these forums the type of conversion board he needs to
build to combine the H,V and green signals together to drive it.

--

                        B'ichela