From: Colin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Jaz Drive support?
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 18:48:53 -0400

Robert Patterson wrote:

> I have Caldera OpenLinux 1.3, with the 2.0.35 (?) kernel, and it works
> with no difficulty with my Adaptect 2920 SCSI card and SCSI CD-ROM
> drive.  However, my understanding was that special kernel support was
> needed for a Jaz drive, which I have; has anyone gotten a Jaz drive
> working and, if so, where do I get the code or binaries?
>
> Thanks,
> Robert H. Patterson

You don't need special kernel support to get the Jaz drive working.  I
guess you're talking about the SCSI drive support which needs to be
compiled into the kernel or a module.  After that, it should work fine.  I
had a Internal SCSI Jaz drive and it worked fine once the SCSI adapter was
recognized.
--
Reply to "cwv [at] idirect (dot) com"

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: New PC : Compatibility (Compaq Presario)
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 20:55:00 GMT

Hi,

I am going to purchase a new PC and have decided on Compaq Presario. I want
to know if its compatible with Linux. I was not able to find some components
on the RedHat hardware compatibility list. Here are those components:

Presario 5600i-400:
        Hard drive - 10.0GB UltraDMA 5400RPM Hard Drive
        CDROM drive - 6X DVD-ROM
        Mouse - Microsoft Intellimouse
        Video card - ATI Rage LT Pro 2X AGP with 8MB SDRAM
        Sound card - Aureal 8820 PCI Audio Card
        Modem - 56K ITU V.90 Modem

Do I need to change some of these in order to get Linux up? I am specially
interested in DVD-ROM drive.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
-AKM.

From: Grant Taylor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Filter for DESKJET 850C; HEWLETT-PACKARD;
Date: 15 Apr 1999 23:38:53 -0400

"Manuel A. Sanchez-Montanes Isla" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I am trying to print postcript on

> But I don't have the right filter. I am running RH5.2 on kernel 2.2.5.
> The device is working properly. I can send an ascii file to /dev/lp0.
> So I just need the driver.

There is an 850 driver at http://www.erdw.ethz.ch/~bonk/hp850/hp850.html

You may prefer to find prebuild RPMs with the hp850 driver compiled
in; compiling Ghostscript is not a one-command affair.

--
Grant Taylor - gtaylor@picante<dot>com - http://www.picante.com/~gtaylor/
 Cellphone information: http://www.picante.com/~gtaylor/cell/

------------------------------

From: Thomas Keats <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: S3 Virge/GX
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 00:13:20 -0400

, and have Xconfigureator installed, run it, and do everything BUT save (DO NOT
SAVE) and you keep previous settings. and it fixes the problem.

------------------------------

From: cdog <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Non-destructive HD repartition?
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 00:10:26 -0500

Partition Magic 4.0

------------------------------

From: Hayden Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: USB support under Linux
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 15:55:48 +1300

I'm looking for anyone who has experience with using the USB drivers for
Linux.  Specifically I need to know a bit about the drivers currently in
use.

Are they relatively open and easy to use?
Is there anything they don't currently support?
I have heard that the drivers for Net/FreeBSD are better.  Can anyone
summarise the differences?

For those who are interested I want to build a custom device for data
acquisition.  Basically to demo it I don't want to have to write the a
custom windows device driver.  My only other option is to buy Visual C++
so I can use the MS DDK.

Any info would be appreciated.

Get rid of nospam from my email to reply.

------------------------------

From: cdog <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: x11amp crashing...
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 00:08:45 -0500

Most of the CD players just use pass-through audio, bypassing the DSP circuitry.
Just because you get sound out of an audio CD doesn't  say much for whether a codec
is working or not.

------------------------------

From: Gary Momarison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ISDN modems, please read.
Date: 15 Apr 1999 17:43:13 -0700

"Thomas Eg J=F8rgensen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> BUT, BUT, BUT: my modem. I got a ISDN modem(Fritz!PC) and i thought "ask =
the
> manufactor for driver"....but they replied: "We released the specificatio=
ns,
> but noone want to make one"....DOH!

I can only point you to a bunch of ISDN-related links at

http://www.aa.net/~swear/pedia/modems.html

Please do Linux a favor and, after looking for your driver, contact one =

(or more) of the ISDN driver authors and ensure that they know of the =

availability of your HW's specs.  The authors should be listed in
the kernel directory (/usr/src/linux ?) MAINTAINERS file or maybe in
the README files linked to in modems.html.  Thanks.

-- =

Look for Linux info at http://www.dejanews.com/home_ps.shtml and
Gary's Encyclopedia at http://www.aa.net/~swear/pedia/index.html

------------------------------

From: Keith Rhodes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: RH5.2 and Sound Blaster 16
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 23:39:46 +0200

Arnulf QUADT wrote:

> Joel Ebel wrote:
> >
> > **Nick Brown wrote:
> > >
> > > Don't know if Red Hat's default kernels contain sound support, but you
> > > generally need to rebuild the kernel, adding sound support, and
> > > /dev/audio support.

> > Don't know if this helps any, but redhat does include sound support in
> > the kernel by default.  You shouldn't have to do anything but run
> > sndconfig andlet it autodetect it.
> >
> > Good luck,
> > Joel Ebel
>
> Yes, this is what I thought. In fact recompiling the kernel where the
> sound option was already turned on according to the config menu does not
> change the situation, implying that sound support is by default in the
> redhat kernel. Given that the card is a SB16 and not a SB16 PnP The
> autodetect or pnpdump don't seem to allow any automatic detection. My
> impression is that I need to do something else to be able to write my
> explicit specification of the card DMA, IRQ ... somewhere and access
> /dev/audio.
>
> Arnulf

I think that sound support is built into the precompiled kernel you
get with RedHat 5.2 as a MODULE... and I've had a few problems myself.

I have a SoundBlaster 32 AWE PnP in my system, at I/O 0x220, DMA 1 and
5, the MPU at 0X330.
These settings used to work under RedHat 5.1, but stopped when I
installed 5.2... strange.

I installed onto a new, clean disk. So I can verify the state of the
/dev directory as it
was under 5.1.... and sndconfig was unable to help me...

I've got the card to make noises, but I need to kick it into life "the
hard way"; I would
like it to wake up automagically at boot time, and would appreciate some
help.

In the mean time, my experience might help others... read on.

First thing is to stop off on the way home from work and buy a few
beers.

You might as well become root right now, you'll need to be later.

Now, heres what you need in /dev:
[root@loxley klrhodes]# ls -al /dev | grep audio
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root            6 Mar 26 11:15 audio -> audio0
crw-rw-rw-   1 root     root      14,   4 Mar 26 11:14 audio0
crw-rw-rw-   1 root     sys       14,  20 May  5  1998 audio1

Now try waking up the sound card (replace these values with others, as
appropriate)

[root@loxley klrhodes]# modprobe sound
[root@loxley klrhodes]# insmod uart401
[root@loxley klrhodes]# insmod sb io=0x220 irq=5 dma=1 dma16=5
mpu_io=0x330

Now, look for a sound file:

[root@loxley klrhodes]# locate cowbell.au             or locate *.au
/usr/share/afterstep/desktop/sounds/cowbell.au

If this doesn't turn anything up, try this procedure:
[root@loxley klrhodes]# updatedb
go drink a beer while this updates the file database, then try the
locate command again.
Alternatively, you could use the old faithful find command:   find /
-name "*.au"

Finally, send the sound file to the audio port:

[root@loxley klrhodes]# cat
/usr/share/afterstep/desktop/sounds/cowbell.au > /dev/audio

If it works, have another beer to celebrate.

Good luck.

------------------------------

From: "James Ray Kenney" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: All the current OSes are idiotic (was Re: Is Windows for idiots?)
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 16:34:36 -0500

I am having to put this here so my stupid news server will post it without
saying it cannot post because the new text is less than the quoted text.
<snip>
> One of the first things we learn when we are being taught to read is that
> Bob, BOB, and bob are the same word. This is quite a major conceptual
> breakthrough, and it takes a lot of hard work. There are very good reasons
> for this, based on hundreds of years of experience. For example "My car is
> nice. I love my car." We don't even have to think about whether "My" and
"my"
> are equivalent, and that the capital "M" is there for readability. It is
only
> in the strange world of Unix that we have to unlearn this.

I was always under the impression that the "M" signified either:  The start
of a sentence, A proper name, a Title, or an abbreviation(with some
exceptions... Like 'I').(Mabe more reasons, but that is all I can think of
right now.)
If you see:
Going to town.    You think he/she is telling you they are going to town.
going to town.     You usually think:  Ohhh I need to look up to the prevous
                                  line to see the first of the sentence.
Going to Town    You think:  TITLE as in movie or book title.
FYI                        You think: Oh, an abbreviation, for your
                                   information.
Elmer Going        You think: someone named Going, not that Elmer is going
                                   somewhere.

Sorry about Snipping out so much text but our news server will not let you
post less text than is quoted!!!
<snip>

------------------------------

From: cdog <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Dual Processing with Celeron Processors
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 00:24:34 -0500

http://kikumaru.w-w.ne.jp/pc/celeron/index_e.html

This is the site that started it all. By the man who let us stick it the
MAN.

Running  a ASUS P2BD  w/ dual 300A's @ 450MHz for 3 months now without a
crash.

------------------------------

From: WORLOK <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: OK I bought a new 40X CDROM, but SCSI Generic no mount?
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 22:06:19 GMT

It turns out that it does work.  After turning off the IDE CD driver in the
kernel config and going with SCSI emulation, I was using the WRONG DEVICE
NAME in my mount command.  Like an idiot I was still trying to mount it as
/dev/hdx instead of the SCSI name /dev/srx .  Now I can read fine in SCSI
emulation.  The writing I'm not sure yet, have to play with that.  The CD
writing software sees it fine, but when I did a test burn, the CDRW never
came back to me, i couldn't even eject the tray.  I had to reboot to free up
the device.  Not sure why that happened.

=====Tom

From: Steve Mading <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 19:56:51 -0500

Geeze.  I leave comp.os.linux.advocacy for three months, come back
and find that the *SAME* arguments are still here, with no change.

First it was Bloody Viking still placing the flame on the wrong parties
for the LILO problems.

Now it's 'westprog' still trying in vain to convince everyone that VMS
is the wave of the future and everything UNIX ever did was a stupid
idea.

Doesn't anything actually *change* around here?

(As far as wildcarding, the best argument in favor of having the
shell do it instead of the application (or a library in the application)
is that programmers are lazy.  If it were left up to the applications to
parse the wildcards, they wouldn't.  With shell-induced wildcards, all
the program has to to is read more than one filename off the command-
line.  Once it does that it doesn't know if that list of filenames was
entered by the user by hand or by the shell expanding a wildcard.
It doesn't care how the filenames got there.  It works the same either
way.  I prefer that.  As a user typing the command, I want the freedom
to be able to choose to either use one wildcard or many filenames or
many wildcards or many wildcards and filenames.  When the shell does
the expansion, the application doesn't treat these cases any different.
That gives the user great flexibility, and prevents the application from
trying to second-guess what the user meant, which is always a mistake.)

------------------------------

From: "Jeremy L. Buchmann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.ai,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Need hardware for homebuilt vision system.  Pointers?
Date: 16 Apr 1999 01:20:20 GMT

In comp.os.linux.misc Randy Crawford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Hi,
: I want to roll my own Linux-based vision system, and I need some sort of
: camera that will integrate with a pentium PC running Linux (or windows,
: if absolutely necessary).
: I'm looking for pointers to both hardware (camera and I/O card) as well
: as references of related research or hobbyist experiences.

The Connectix cameras work with Linux.  There was a post here a while back
advertising a site where a couple kids took a laptop running Linux and a
Quickcam into Walmart and messed around with it.  A DejaNews search might
find it.  The pictures won't be great, but neural nets can recognize even
the crappiest of images, if that's what you're looking for.

Related research: The 'facetrain' program is a backpropogating neural
network that was made at Carnegie Mellon.  I think it is free, but not
totally sure.  It's located at:

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs.cmu.edu/project/theo-8/faceimages/

It's not hard to hack, but I hope you know C.

Jeremy Buchmann       "Those who trade freedom for safety deserve
[EMAIL PROTECTED]   neither freedom nor safety." -- Ben Franklin

From: henk van der knaap <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 2.2.5 Kernel is dead
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 12:11:56 +1200

On Thu, 15 Apr 1999, David Murray wrote:

> I compiled the 2.2.5 kernel on my system and now it is totall dead.. This
> is what I see:
>
> LILO boot: linux
> Uncompressing Linux... OK, booting the kernel.
>
> Then the machine is dead as a can of spam.  Never does another thing.  If I
> boot off of a floppy and change Lilo back to use my old 2.0.36 kernel it
> boots fine.  I've tried recompiling the 2.2.5 kernel with different options
> and still get the same thing.  Any reason for this?
> --DavidM

Dear David,

I have had the same experience. I had made the mistake of not using
zImage, which is the compressed kernel. If you use vmlinux you get this
problem. You'll find zImage in /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot.

Regards Henk

Henk van der Knaap,
92 Halswell Junction Road,
Christchurch, New Zealand.
Phone/fax 64 3 3229185

Operating system is Linux Debian 2.1
My e-mail address is as follows:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: "Martin Ozolins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 16:15:53 -0700

Craig Kelley wrote in message ...
>"Rob Eamon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
>> >This is a symptom of the GUI, not the filesystem.
>>
>> I must strongly disagree. Issues with mixed-case filenames,
>> whitespace and filename length existed long before Windows
>> became popular.
>>
>> >Try to remember
>> >back to your DOS days.  Did you miss mixed case?
>>
>> Yes.
>>
>> >Did you miss the
>> >whitespace limitations?
>>
>> Yes. We worked around it, but whitespace would've been
>> very welcome.
>>
>> >Probably not.  When Windows 3 was
>> >released and people actually started using it, they noticed these
>> >deficiencies and it was fixed with VFAT.
>>
>> I think you're confusing when the solution was provided with
>> when the problem was identified. Again, the 'problem' existed
>> before Windows. In fact, there were tools that added long
>> filename support to DOS before Windows got the capability.
>
>When were we talking about long filename support?  I'm not going to defend
>the braindead 8.3 limitation.  It was inconvenient under DOS to have
>files named
>
>    "BL AH.D T"
>
>Even if you could (which you couldn't) -- nobody would have done it.

Actually you could and I have as a primitive protection from dangerous
commands.
ren FORMAT.COM FOR[ALT+255][ALT+255][ALT+255].COM
holding the ALT key allowed use of any ASCII character, 255 being space.

------------------------------

From: jason <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Monitor flicker
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 19:26:11 -0400

Jim wrote:

> I just got a Graphics Blaster Riva TNT card (PCI) and am using XFree
> 3.3.3.1 with Slackware 3.6.  The monitor flickers so badly it's not
> viewable.  First, how can I tell if 3.3.3.1 is actually installed?
> Entering X --version gives me a screen full of drivers but no version
> number.

 X -showconfig

> In XF86Setup there is a riva tnt card listed but none in the
> list of chip sets.  I'm still new to linux so I don't know if it's a bad
> card or my incompetence that's causing the problem.  Everything runs
> fine with my Trident tgui9680 video card.

There is a list of supported cards at www.xfree86.org, give it a look.  It should
be supported in 3.3.3.1 (but I'm not 100% sure).

Hope this helps,
-jason

(to reply via email, make the appropriate substitution in my email address)