From: Chuck Tuffli <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux for SGI Machines
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 07:56:22 -0800

i think the site is http://www.linux.sgi.com but it don't seem to be
able to acess it  right now.

--
Chuck Tuffli                    OpenGL Driver Software
[EMAIL PROTECTED]        Not speaking for Intel

------------------------------

From: Yves Nofiele <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: AGP en S3 ViRGE/GX2
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 13:28:48 -0500

Hi Dieter,

Did you find any solution about this problem ? If yes, how ?
Right now, I have exactly the same problem with Red Hat 5.1
and my S3 Virge GX2 AGP card...

Thanks in advance...
Yves.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tabman)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.questions,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.matrox,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.help,de.comp.os.linux.x,de.comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Really weird problem with G200.
Date: 13 Jan 1999 04:38:17 GMT

    Hi folks.

I have this really strange problem with my Millennium G200 running in Linux.
The icons in Netscape Navigator ( the ones on the toolbar, etc. Even the
Netscape icon in the top right corner ) are in black and white, but
everything else is in perfect colour ! Even Navigator's start up page, which
shows the Netscape logo, displays everything correctly ! No joke. It's just
the icons.

Also, when I play a MPEG in xanim, the MPEG is played in a screwed up way.
It looks almost like playing a 4:2:2 Y'PrPb clip as though it were an RGB
clip. That is to say, the clip is played as though xanim thinks the frames
are larger than they actually are, and that the colourspace is RGB when it's
in fact in Y'PrPb. As a result, the frames are tiled ( 3 frames
side-by-side. The height seems OK, though ) , and show up in black and white
with a very low resolution.

    I know the MPEG is OK because I run the same MPEG on my old machine, and
it runs OK ( I mounted my new system's partition via NFS on my old machine,
and then ran xanim with the version of the MPEG that's on the new system's
partition. )

    Everything else is OK. JPEGs and XPMs show up perfectly.

Here are my system specs:

K6-2 350MHz
ASUS P5A ( ATX with on-board audio )
64Meg Crucial PC100 CAS3 RAM
Matrox Millenium G200 8Meg SGRAM
RedHat 5.0 with X3.3.3 ( both the SuSe Matrox server and the Xfree86 SVGA
server.)

    Any ideas ?

'later...
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~| "If you make people think they are
Tabman           You may answer in |  thinking, they will love you; if you

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chetan Ahuja)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Linux fails to boot after dual-booting Windows 95;Reinstall LILO and it
works again!?
Date: 12 Jan 1999 18:26:32 GMT

Eric Hardwick ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chris) wrote:

: >Is your Win95 partition FAT or FAT32?  There is a known bug in Linux (as
: >of 2.0.36) which *may* cause the kernel to crash if you mount a defective
: >filesystem.  To the FAT12/16 code, a FAT32 filesystem *is* defective.
: >Next time you get a successful Linux boot, edit the fstab file so that the
: >Win95 filesystem does not auto-mount.  You may find that this cures the
: >problem.
: >

: Yes it is FAT32. I just tried your suggestion. It seemed to work the
: first time I booted win95 and then Linux. Linux booted correctly all
: the way through. So I tried it again...Booted windows then Linux. No
: go. Same problem. One thing was different the first time, might mean
: nothing. I used 'rmmod' to unload the vfat module, then rebooted into
: windows, then Linux. This worked. Another round of reboots and Linux
: *doesn't* boot. I don't really think this is the cause but can someone
: tell me how to prevent the vfat module from loading during boot up? Is
: it a config file I need to edit?

   Yes.. the file you need to edit is /etc/fstab
      just remove the line that is mounting the win95 partition... or
you can make the fourth field ( the one after vfat)  read 'noauto'
(without the quotes) That means not to mount the file system automatically...
  Chetan

: Thanks for the suggestions.

: Eric Hardwick
: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Harry McGregor)
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Subject: Re: P55T2P4 and AMD K6-2-350
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 05:03:47 GMT

Here is my suggestion, buy a super heatsink/fan (I do have global win
fans in stock, 1" heatsink + 1" fan, will ship before payment, drop me
an email). and increase the voltage to 2.3 volts.  Also be sure you
are using a thin layer of thermal compund.  You should be able to get
6x66, if not I would personaly recomend 5.5x66, unless you are doing
really CPU intensive stuff most of the time, if every ounce of CPU
power is needed, but you don't mind slowing your ram, HD, cache, etc
down, then go for 6x60

                        Harry

------------------------------

From: Case <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: PCI devices on laptop docking station
Date: 13 Jan 1999 06:27:51 +0100

Hi,

I've been using a micron Transport XKE for a while now, which works great,
apart from the SCSI controller and Ethernet controller on the docking station..
/proc/pci shows me:
  Bus  1, device   8, function  0:
    Ethernet controller: DEC DC21142 (rev 48).
      Medium devsel.  Fast back-to-back capable.  IRQ 255.  Master Capable.
      Latency=165.  Min Gnt=20.Max Lat=40.
      I/O at 0xec00.
      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xfe9ff800.
  Bus  1, device   7, function  0:
    SCSI storage controller: Adaptec AIC-7860 (rev 3).
      Medium devsel.  Fast back-to-back capable.  IRQ 255.  Master Capable.
      Latency=64.  Min Gnt=4.Max Lat=4.
      I/O at 0xe800.
      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xfe9fe000.

The first odd thing I noticed is that IRQ is 255 for both ..
If I try to insmod the scsi_mod and aic7xxx.o dmesg reports:

(scsi0) <Adaptec AIC-7860 Ultra SCSI host adapter> found at PCI 7/0
(scsi0) Wide Channel, SCSI ID=15, 0/255 SCBs
(scsi0) Downloading sequencer code... 419 instructions downloaded
(scsi0) Couldn't register IRQ 255, ignoring controller.
scsi : 0 hosts.

This seems to indicate that the 255 IRQ is indeed a problem .. interestingly
enough, the USB controller, another one that doesnt get initialised at boot
time, is also 255.

Now, trying to insmod the tulkip driver for the Ethernet controller gives me:

  The PCI BIOS has not enabled this device!  Updating PCI command 0014->0015.
tulip.c:v0.89H 5/23/98 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
eth0: Digital DS21142/3 Tulip at 0xec00
      EEPROM not present, 00 4c 69 6e 75 79, IRQ 0.
eth0:  Missing EEPROM, this interface may not work correctly!

No problem with IRQ this time, but a 'missing EEPROM' .. ID like to think
that linux could come up with default settings when the EEPROM is missing .. ?

Ill also mention that the Cardbus controller, which works just fine, also
lists an IRQ 255 in /proc/pci ..

Any ideas ?

Thanks,
Casey
--
C-Solutions   Your problem is our problem .. until we solve it.
NL: 06-51910020 US: 206-650-0043/206-328-0789  Always: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "karlo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux DVD driver ?
Date: 13 Jan 1999 05:33:56 GMT

I do not think so somehow as DVD is proprietary and are keeping the driver
details a secret.  Sorry but you will have to use windoZZZZZZZZZe to watch
your dvd movies.

karlo

Eric Pop <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Philips HCS-80 dumb terminal
Date: 11 Jan 1999 21:04:23 -0500

Martin von Weissenberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Hello all!

: I recently got a dumb terminal labeled Philips HCS 80 and would like to
: connect it to my Linux box.  I would like to know if anybody has any
: experience with this kind of terminal.

The folks in the newsgroup comp.terminals might be better able to help you
with this.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andreas Dilger)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.development.apps
Subject: Linux LVM (was "things I'd pay to have developed for Linux...")
Date: 12 Jan 1999 17:51:24 GMT

In article <77efbr$rvq$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Peter Samuelson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>anyway I really *do* wish you could mirror an entire VG at once; I
>tried once for quite awhile to coax AIX into doing this.

In AIX 4.2 and up, there is a command "mirrorvg" which does exactly
this.  It includes a SMIT entry as well ;-)

>> Striped or mirrored, not both, at least up to 4.2.1 kernel.
>
>You are of course correct.  Seems like a silly design limitation.

I believe that Linux LVM will be able to do this once mirroring is
available.

>Right on.  I was amazed when we got an SGI O2 in here and it had IRIX
>6.3 preinstalled on a single partition of the 4G disk.  I was used to
>AIX which by default creates separate fs's for /, /tmp, /var, /home and
>/usr

I agree that for single user systems it can be a hassle for multiple
partitions.  However, on AIX with LVM and jfs, it is so easy to resize
filesystems there is little disincentive not to have multiple filesystems
in the first place.  It WOULD be nice if you could shrink filesystems
on AIX (even if it meant unmounting it...)

>ID strings
>on each disk can cut both ways, but I think a vgck utility to repair or
>compensate for incomplete or corrupted vg's would help a lot and not be
>that hard to do.

I think that LVM with disk IDs (like PVIDs under AIX, but probably using
the same UUID code that ext2 uses) is the best way to go, so we don't
have to deal with the nightmare of disks being renamed on IDE or SCSI
when you re-configure your system.  Having disk IDs would mean we don't
have to change the way Linux does disk major/minor device numbers in
order to rid ourselves of the evil of /dev/sdc becoming /dev/sdd when
you connect an external SCSI drive (for example).

>Anyway, Heinz's LVM is reportedly modeled after the HP-UX one which I
>understand is somewhat similar to AIX.  I eagerly await version 0.5
>which has been almost here for about six months now.  I have been
>reluctant to hack 0.4 (to support glibc and newer kernels) just in case
>0.5 already has this stuff....

I'm hoping that someone will develop AIX compatibility commands for
Linux LVM, so I don't have to use the HP versions, which I find more
confusing...

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger   University of Calgary  \"If a man ate a pound of pasta and
                 Micronet Research Group \ a pound of antipasto, would they

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Re: Anyone use bellatlantic & Linux?
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 18:20:39 GMT

In article <77947d$mna$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rod Smith) wrote:
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>       Frank Hale <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > I have bellatlantic internet and RH 5.2 and I have
> > been connected for the last year using redhat linux. Problem is I
> > couldn't get the new versions of PPP to connect. I had to downgrade the
> > package to one that shipped with RH 5.0 powertools I think its version
> > 2.2.0f or something like that.
>
> I discovered that in my case, the problem was that newer versions of ppp
> don't support passing the PAP login information to ppp on the command
> line.

I would never have liked having my pap-secrets stuff sent on a command line
anyway.  Any user who blundered into the ps(1) command could learn my ISP
account password.  Since I often have guests over who are logged into my
machine doing stuff, and we play a friendly game of checking each other's
security measures all the time...  It would not be wise.

The problem I had when I upgraded my ppp from 2.2.0f to whatever was that
I ended up having to put two extra options on the pppd command line.

ipcp-accept-local
ipcp-accept-remote

The problem was that my box was insisting on setting it's own address even
though the terminal server was insisting on setting my address.  I discovered
this while on the phone with my isp's tech support.  Try setting the option
to debug the connection, and watch /var/log/messages as the script executes.
That can help tell you where your connection is failing.

From: "Andrew A. Neuschwander" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Merry Christmas and a SMP survey
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 22:13:00 -0700

I've been lucky enough to play with a handfull of SMP boxes where I
work.  I compiled kernel 2.2.0-pre5 and all modules in under 2 minutes
and 25 seconds.  Granted this is a Duel PII- 450 with 384 MB Ram and 2
9.1 Ultra SCSI-2 hard drives on a DPT RAID Controller.  SMP is really
fast, especially in the 2.2pre series.  But scsi is more important, the
slowest part of your computer is your drive, so go scsi before smp.

Andrew

--
--==/|/   _    ...enjoy the ride,
--=/|/   (_) _____  __  ______  ___

------------------------------

From: "Andrew A. Neuschwander" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Software RAID on a Pentium 233?
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 22:42:02 -0700

I've found the software raid to be SMP safe, here is the config I setup
for a news server.
Compaq Proliant 1600R
Duel 450MHz PII
512MB Ram
2.2 gig system driver
5 9.1 gig Ultra SCSi-2 drives running on software RAID (~42.0GB)
RaidTools version 0.40, the 0.50beta tools gave me big problems with
raid 1.

This box has huge daily disk I/O, several gigs a day are going on and
off the array each day.

Andrew.

--
--==/|/   _    ...enjoy the ride,
--=/|/   (_) _____  __  ______  ___

From: Robert Current <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Kernel Panic, suspect hardware
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 13:13:49 -0600

I keep getting a kernel panic on one of my boxes.  Since it's set up
more or less the same as the rest, I suspect the hardware, maybe
something to do with the motherboard (because this box has been unstable
for a long time, and the hard drive, cpu, video card, and ethernet card
have all been changed over time).

Any ideas on this from the messages?

On boot once in a while I get a fail to boot with "crc error"

Here are some of the error messages from /var/log/messages:

Jan 12 08:38:06 rapid kernel: Unable to handle kernel paging request at
virtual address e0e24116
Jan 12 08:38:06 rapid kernel: current->tss.cr3 = 0141d000, pr3 =
0141d000
Jan 12 08:38:06 rapid kernel: *pde = 00000000
Jan 12 08:38:06 rapid kernel: Oops: 0002
Jan 12 08:38:06 rapid kernel: CPU:    0
Jan 12 08:38:07 rapid kernel: EIP:    0010:[init_gendisk+125/364]
Jan 12 08:38:07 rapid kernel: EFLAGS: 00010046
Jan 12 08:38:07 rapid kernel: eax: 0000001b   ebx: 00000000   ecx:
001dbd54   edx: 00000000
Jan 12 08:38:07 rapid kernel: esi: 001ee2b8   edi: 00286218   ebp:
00000000   esp: 004f2f70
Jan 12 08:38:07 rapid kernel: ds: 0018   es: 0018   fs: 002b   gs:
002b   ss: 0018
Jan 12 08:38:07 rapid kernel: Process netscape (pid: 4578, process nr:
59, stackpage=004f2000)
Jan 12 08:38:07 rapid kernel: Stack: 001dbd54 001ee2b8 00000001 00000000
00179201 001792fd 00000001 00286218
Jan 12 08:38:07 rapid kernel:        00286218 00200750 0017924c 50075580
0017a1b6 00200750 0009e0d8 20000000
Jan 12 08:38:07 rapid kernel:        0000000e 0010ce31 0000000e 00286218
00000000 401476a4 08c66000 08c66000
Jan 12 08:38:07 rapid kernel: Call Trace: [ide_error+333/408]
[read_intr+177/216] [read_intr+0/216] [ide_intr+62/100]
[do_fast_IRQ+41/72] [fast_IRQ14_interrupt+65/104]

Jan  9 11:59:32 rapid kernel: Unable to handle kernel paging request at
virtual address d09a2ff0
Jan  9 11:59:32 rapid kernel: current->tss.cr3 = 018f4000, pr3 =
018f4000
Jan  9 11:59:32 rapid kernel: *pde = 00000000
Jan  9 11:59:32 rapid kernel: Oops: 0000
Jan  9 11:59:32 rapid kernel: CPU:    0
Jan  9 11:59:32 rapid kernel: EIP:    0010:[block_getblk+134/612]
Jan  9 11:59:32 rapid kernel: EFLAGS: 00010202
Jan  9 11:59:32 rapid kernel: eax: 109a2ff0   ebx: 00000008   ecx:
109a2ff0   edx: 01658d98
Jan  9 11:59:32 rapid kernel: esi: 00000000   edi: 018f2c38   ebp:
00a5a600   esp: 018f2b98
Jan  9 11:59:32 rapid kernel: ds: 0018   es: 0018   fs: 002b   gs:
002b   ss: 0018
Jan  9 11:59:32 rapid kernel: Process kwm (pid: 6766, process nr: 54,
stackpage=018f2000)
Jan  9 11:59:32 rapid kernel: Stack: 00000008 000002fc 018f2c38 00a5a600
00000002 109a2ff0 0015df4e 00a5a600
Jan  9 11:59:32 rapid kernel:        01658d98 000000fc 00000001 00000400
00000408 018f2c38 013fc118 00000400
Jan  9 11:59:32 rapid kernel:        001f6834 00000400 00000408 00010000
00000010 00000100 0015c2fb 00a5a600
Jan  9 11:59:32 rapid kernel: Call Trace: [ext2_getblk+366/528]
[ext2_file_write+387/1112] [ip_msqhst_procinfo+264/452]
[do_truncate+70/120] [do_truncate+90/120] [permission+32/212]
[dump_write+26/44]
Jan  9 11:59:32 rapid kernel:        [writenote+163/196]
[dump_write+26/44] [elf_core_dump+2470/2616] [rw_swap_page+714/728]
[del_from_chain+108/416] [ide_error+333/408] [make_request+1136/1148]
[ll_rw_block+379/492]

--
"Robert W. Current" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> - email
http://www.current.nu                - personal web site

------------------------------

From: Jeff Alami <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 06:00:01 GMT

karlo wrote:

> I do not think so somehow as DVD is proprietary and are keeping the driver
> details a secret.  Sorry but you will have to use windoZZZZZZZZZe to watch
> your dvd movies.

Or better yet, watch dvd movies on a real DVD player.. at least it won't
crash in the middle of a movie like PC-DVD once did to me. What a joke.

Seriously, though, there is some work being done that is related to DVD
support in Linux. First off, DVD-ROM drives follow the IDE/ATAPI
specification, so they appear to be very large CD-ROM drives as far as
Linux is concerned. Another hurdle to DVD movie support is the
filesystem used in DVD movies, called UDF. UDF is supported in Linux
through kernel patches, from two different projects
(http://www.trylinux.com/projects/udf/index.html,
http://www.csc.calpoly.edu/~bfennema/udf.html, and
http://www.bitwizard.nl/udf/). I'm quite sure that UDF will be included
in the stock kernel eventually.

And here's a new development I just found out about today: someone's
working on a driver for the Creative Labs Encore DVD decoder. More
information can be found at http://www.rpi.edu/~veliaa/linux-dvd/.

I hope this information is useful.

Sincerely,

--
Jeff Alami
Director, Guardian Consulting Services

From: "Bob Lydick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Netgear FA310TX NIC
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 11:22:50 -0600

James, Mike, and others,

I have the card, too, and called up tech support, and they did send me an
email, and we did visit a bit on the phone. . But, . . . It did not work for
me, either, and, I am still looking. Either lack of knowledge on my part, or
instructions wrong. Probably the first, with the second? Let me know if you
or anyone finds the proper/right way to install it. I am using Red Hat. On,
and if anyone does find the answer, or know it, please e-mail me too, as I
may miss the post. Sorry for the inconvience, and I will let you know if I
find anything. TIA.

God Bless and God Speed.

Bob Lydick
<delete the obvious from e-mail return address>

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Jens Ritter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Soundblaster under Debian 2.0
Date: 12 Jan 1999 20:18:23 +0100

Ramesh Natarajan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I just installed Debian 2.0 and compiled kernal (2.0.34) with Sound as
> module. I seem to get something working, but not all. I configured my
> /etc/isapnp.conf, did a isapnptools /etc/isapnp.conf followed by
> $insmod sound trace_init=1. On dmesg, I see
>    Sound initialization started
>    <Sound Blaster 16 (4.16)> at 0x220 irq 5 dma 0,5
>    <Yamaha OPL3 FM> at 0x388
>    Sound initialization complete
>
> when I do cat /dev/sndstat, I see
> Card config:
>    Sound Blaster at 0x220 irq 5 drq 0,5
>    (SB MPU-401 irq 1 drq 0)
>    OPL-2/OPL-3 FM at 0x388 drq 0
>
> Iam able to play CD using workman. When I cat some .au to /dev/audio,
> (or when I try saytime) I get no sound. I get no error either. When I do
> rvplayer welcome.rm, I get some error like "Codec not
> installed/Compression not supported".

When playing cd, you use the direct connection of the cdrom to the
soundcard.

> From what I see in HOWTO, looks like I have MPU stuff not enabled. Is
> this a problem? I donot have MPU 401 support enabled in make config
> (going by help text)

What is your kernel configuration.

> 1) I can do startx only as root. Not as any other user. I get some error
> like "xlib: conncecion refused by server". If I run xdm, I can log on as
> any user though.

Please ask on the debian mailing list: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

> 2) When I try make xconfig for kernal config, I cannot select any of the
> y/m/n options. I can input all text fields (like irq, IO) though.

What xserver are you using whith which card?

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
KeyID: 2048/E451C639 1998/01/28