Linux-Hardware Digest #165, Volume #11            Thu, 2 Sep 99 14:13:50 EDT

Contents:
  Re: PCI/WIN modems (Rob Clark)
  BRIGHTGATE.COM 73064 ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: 8" floppy (Emil Blaschek)
  AudioPCI and Mandrake 6.0 (SamIam)
  cdrom-boot problems omnibook 4150 (Simon Oosthoek)
  Re: Problem with CD Player in GNOME. (Liguo Song)
  Re: raid0 and kernel 2.2.11
  Re: WinModems ("Mike Stanton")
  Re: 8" floppy (Alex Flinsch)
  Re: WinModems ("Michael J. Hennessy")
  Re: 3.5 drive turns into 5.25 drive!!! ("B. Allen")
  Re: SCSI II LVD Hard Drive ("rkv")
  Configuring lm_sensors on a PC with w83781d-isa-0290 on an ASUS P2B-D motherboard
([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: BJC-5000 Printer (Mark Bratcher)
  i740 : How to be in 800x600? (Lolo)
  Re: Anybody tried Linux on Athlon yet? (Bryan)
  Re: Anybody tried Linux on Athlon yet? (Nils Remmers)
  Re: Anybody tried Linux on Athlon yet? ("JB")
  Re: Laser printer recommend.. (bernward halfkann)
  Re: Redhat 6.0 -- No lp device! (Gert van der Knokke)

Subject: Re: PCI/WIN modems
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rob Clark)
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 14:17:36 GMT

In article <7qlrpf$dca$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I am looking for a new modem for my Linux box. I have looked at two pci
>cards. One is Creative Modem Blaster, the other is US Robotics (2884
>?). The sales person tells me that these are not winmodems (software).
>I checked creative's site, and the card requires Windoz. Is it only for
>the supplied voice software? Or ..... I couldn't find the 2884 at
>Robotics (3com) site. Any info.

Be prepared to be very sceptical about PCI modems--- very few are not
software modems of some kind.  USR 2884 is not a familiar number, but
3Com has a pair of new PCI modems that _may_ work with Linux.

Please check the list at:
  http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html

The Creative Modem Blasters are mostly in the GX5 section.  The 3Com/USR
modems are mostly in the 4X2 and CJE sections.

Good luck,
Rob Clark, [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: BRIGHTGATE.COM 73064
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 05:29:27 -0600

Brightgate Metasearch is the newest meta-search site on the net.  It
searches over 18 (most used) search engines on the Internet, well above
the average of all other metasearch sites.  There is also an option to
submit a url to 30+ search engines.  Of course, do not forget the MP3 and
Files search options, if you are looking for that special MP3 or file then
chances are you will find it with Brightgate Metasearch.
http://www.brightgate.com

------------------------------

From: Emil Blaschek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 8" floppy
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 17:21:58 +0200

joe santapau schrieb:

> anyone ever get an 8" floppy to work under linux ?
>
> i would like to make some image files from some old data.

A 8" Floppy is a very proprietary thing.

Problem a) these drives often use 110V 60Hz AC
           this can be bad for your Helth and the one of your computer.

Problem b) Data were recorded with 1MHz like a  5.25" Drive
(used on old IBM XT )

Problem c) Be aware of the fact ,
  that there were a lot of additional Parameters
  like Hard-Sectored, Flippy usage and CSD Recording ( Apple 2 )
  So if you have to have the Hardware,
  or exactly know wich Hardware it was,
  you have a chance to read the data on the 8" Disk.

Problem d) If you know this, you must know the format,
   that was used.
   Sides : 1 or 2
   Tracks  35, 40, 80
   Sectors 1,4,7,9,11,13
   Sector Length 128 256 512 1024 2048 Byte

   If this can be analyzed with the current Hardware, I dont know.

Problem e) You have to know the operating system
   the Organisation of data on the sectors were very
   different.
   eg. CPM  OS9 TRS-DOS PRO-DOS FS1 aso.

good luck.

2*35 Track 5 Sectors 2048 Byte

------------------------------

From: SamIam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: AudioPCI and Mandrake 6.0
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 08:17:58 -0500

Hello everybody,

I'm having a problem trying to get my AudioPCI card to work with
Mandrake 6.0.  I had it working with OpenLinux 2.2 fine.  Here's what
I've tried.  I ran sndconfig after I first installed Mandrake 6 and it
autodetected my AudioPCI card.  But when it tried to play a sample it
came back with some kind of sox error.  I read in Dejanews to update the
sox RPM.  So I did that by using the Mandrake update tool but now I get
a different sox error.  Now here's the funny thing.  I'm now able to
play the CD as a user or root but I only get system sounds as root.  I
try to click on the box to enable system sounds as user and it won't let
me.  Are there any Mandrake or Redhat 6.0 users that have experienced
this problem?

Thanks in advance,
Sam

------------------------------

From: Simon Oosthoek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: cdrom-boot problems omnibook 4150
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 11:45:21 +0200

Hi

I'm trying to boot from a linux (caldera 2.2) installation CD on an
omnibook 4150 laptop. The bios allows to specify the boot order
(floppy/hdd/cdrom), but no matter where I put it, the CD won't boot. the
floppy does boot, but I can't use the floppy and the cd at the same
time, so that is not an option.

I'm kind of reluctant to install all the installation files on a windows
partition and then boot from floppy and do it that way. (I want to boot
from cdrom, it should just work shouldn't it?)

could it be the cdrom module (incapable of booting?)

tnx for any help

Simon.

------------------------------

From: Liguo Song <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Problem with CD Player in GNOME.
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 10:17:12 -0500

Hi,  Jorge,

Thank you for your help. My friend helped me solved the problem.

The problem is mainly because the sound module somehow messed up. I couldn't setup it
again. After
I removed it, I set it up again. Then, everything is working fine.

BTW, enlightenment is not exactly Gnome. Gnome makes use of the windows manager, like
KDE,
enlightenment is just the best compatible with Gnome.

Thanks!

Liguo

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: raid0 and kernel 2.2.11
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 13:31:06 GMT

download the file in raid145.... in the deamon section of kernel.com

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: "Mike Stanton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: WinModems
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 1999 00:10:34 +1000

Steve Macras <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Is there any way to get a WinModem to work?
Yes, run it under Windows

> Maybe somebody is writing a emulator or something
Do yourself a favour and read the following article
http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html
Then buy a decent hayes compatible modem

------------------------------

From: Alex Flinsch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 09:26:31 -0400

joe santapau wrote:

> I wish it were a vax machine, but it isn't, its one of those old word
> processors with a z80 in it. OUCH !
>
> the data seems relativley important to the customer and was alittle shocked
> when he got an estimate from a data recovery place.
>
> i merely told him that i would try, not knowing much about data recovery.
> seemed that if i could get an image of the file (using dd)
> i could write a util to extract the document ( or plain text ) one or the
> the other.

Does the customer still have the wp machine on which it was created? If not,
then I would suggest that the data is not quite as valuable as the customer
thinks it is. If the machine still exists, why not try running whatever
software that created the documents (hopefully that still exists also, if not
see prior sentence) and printing them with the parallel (or possibly serial)
port connected to your linux box, and having something read the port and
capture the data that way?

------------------------------

From: "Michael J. Hennessy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 11:24:59 -0400

Is an HSP 56 Micromodem a winmodem?  If not, any idea how I can get that
to work with Linux?

--
Sincerely,
Michael

------------------------------

From: "B. Allen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: 3.5 drive turns into 5.25 drive!!!
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 1999 12:34:16 -0400

Try going into device manager in Windows (start, control panel, system,
device manager tab), find the drive and click on remove.  Then restart
windows and see if it detects it again correctly, or use the add new
hardware feature.

Brett

------------------------------

From: "rkv" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SCSI II LVD Hard Drive
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 14:17:16 GMT

If you have what is called AHA-2940 U/UW - this is Ultra Wide controller, to
run LVD drive at 80 MB/s you need U2W controller, for example aic7890. This
one goes up to 80, but be carefull looks like a linux driver for it has a
problem (which I'm trying to deal with), on more than one drive it causes
loop of bus resets. One drive actually runs at 80!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Configuring lm_sensors on a PC with w83781d-isa-0290 on an ASUS P2B-D
motherboard
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 16:47:03 GMT

I've installed lm_sensors on my beowulf nodes.
the mother boad is an ASUS P2B-D with two P2 400
I use linux 2.2.12 (with mosix patches)

all seems OK and well configured :
sensors-detect ok, aliases in conf.module, boot.local with modprobe,
mkdev.sh for the /dev/i2c-* nodes, many reboot).

the pseudo files in /proc/sys/dev/sensors/w83781d-isa-0290
show sensible informations that move realistically
alarms:4161
beep:1 0
fan1:3000 0
fan2:3000 5578
fan3:3000 5487
fan_div:2 2 2
in0:1.98 0.00 2.00
in1:1.85 2.25 1.98
in2:2.97 3.63 3.20
in3:2.68 3.26 2.96
in4:2.84 3.45 3.12
in5:3.10 3.79 3.34
in6:2.99 3.64 3.26
rt1:127 117 86 69 57 48 39 32 25 19 12 6 255 247 237 223 236 31 17 12 9
9 7 7 7 7 6 7 8 10 14 16
rt2:127 117 86 69 57 48 39 32 25 19 12 6 255 247 237 223 236 31 17 12 9
9 7 7 7 7 6 7 8 10 14 16
rt3:127 117 86 69 57 48 39 32 25 19 12 6 255 247 237 223 236 31 17 12 9
9 7 7 7 7 6 7 8 10 14 16
temp1:60.0 50.0 27.0
temp2:60.0 50.0 208.0
temp3:60.0 50.0 209.0
vid:2.05

but /usr/bin/sensors is unable to print more that one parameter,
and choke on all others...
w83781d-isa-0290
Adapter: ISA adapter
Algorithm: ISA algorithm
ERROR: Can't get alarm data!
ERROR: Can't get beep data!
VCore 1:   +2.00 V  (min =  +1.98 V, max =  +0.00 V)
ERROR: Can't get IN1 data!
ERROR: Can't get IN2 data!
ERROR: Can't get IN3 data!
ERROR: Can't get IN4 data!
ERROR: Can't get IN5 data!
ERROR: Can't get IN6 data!
ERROR: Can't get FAN1 data!
ERROR: Can't get FAN2 data!
ERROR: Can't get FAN3 data!
ERROR: Can't get TEMP1 data!
ERROR: Can't get TEMP2 data!
ERROR: Can't get TEMP3 data!
alarms:   Chassis intrusion detection
ERROR: Can't get BEEP data!

moreover sensors -s fail this way
w83781d-isa-0290: Can't access /proc file

modules seems well loaded:
Module                  Size  Used by
i2c-dev                 3772   0  (autoclean) (unused)
w83781d                15204   0
sensors                 7248   1  [w83781d]
smbus                   1820   0  [i2c-dev w83781d sensors]
i2c-isa                 1336   0  (unused)
i2c-proc                2860   0
i2c-core                4080   0  [i2c-dev w83781d sensors smbus i2c-
isa i2c-proc]
mosix                  40952   0  (unused)

the /etc/sensors.conf
seems perfect and is standard

chip "w83781d-*"
    label in0 "VCore 1"
    label in1 "VCore 2"
    label in2 "+3.3V"
    label in3 "+5V"
    label in4 "+12V"
    label in5 "-12V"
    label in6 "-5V"
    compute in3 ((6.8/10)+1)*@ ,  @/((6.8/10)+1)
    compute in4 ((28/10)+1)*@  ,  @/((28/10)+1)
    compute in5 -(210/60.4)*@  ,  -@/(210/60.4)
    compute in6 -(90.9/60.4)*@ ,  -@/(90.9/60.4)
    set in0_min vid*0.95
    set in0_max vid*1.05
    set in1_min vid*0.95
    set in1_max vid*1.05
    set in2_min 3.3 * 0.95
    set in2_max 3.3 * 1.05
    set in3_min 5.0 * 0.95
    set in3_max 5.0 * 1.05
    set in4_min 12 * 0.95
    set in4_max 12 * 1.05
    set in5_min -12 * 0.95
    set in5_max -12 * 1.05
    set in6_min -5 * 0.95
    set in6_max -5 * 1.05

the only thing strange is that
cat /proc/bus/i2c
returns nothing.
maybe is it because only the isa interface is configured...

I've also tried to configuer the i2c-piix4 module
(modprobe i2c-piix4)
interface (so using the i2c bus)...
this way cat /proc/bus/i2c
shows
i2c-0   smbus   SMBus PIIX4 adapter at e800             Non-I2C SMBus
adapter
which seems perfect.
moreover, with this I can
also modprobe eeprom and lm78
that are recognised.
with this
/proc/sys/dev/sensors/chips
contains
256     w83781d-i2c-0-2d
257     eeprom-i2c-0-50
258     eeprom-i2c-0-51
259     lm78-i2c-0-2d
261     w83781d-isa-0290

but sensors choke exacty the same way
on each kind of sensors access
(on the lm78, on the w87781d throug isa or i2c)

meanwhile the data from
the /proc/sys/dev/sensors/*/*
seems perfect
(for lm78 it seems les reliable, but
it shows something similar)

with all of this

any idea...

From: Mark Bratcher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: BJC-5000 Printer
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 10:33:56 -0400

BCJ-5000, unlike most of Canon's other printers, is Windows only. So,
the magicfilter tool won't work.

From: Lolo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: i740 : How to be in 800x600?
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 17:31:14 GMT

Configuration : P2 300Mhz + Monitor Targa(TM3867) + i740(Tekram AGP 6000)+
Microsoft Whell Mouse Ps2

I installed Mandrake 6.0 and I can'be in 800X600 .I'm only in 640X480 With
a virtual desktop that I don't like at all.
I also installed Xbf-i740 but the problems are still here.
So I want to be in 800X600 or more and I don't want any virtual desktop.
If anyone can help, it's will be very kind.
Don't forget that I'm new with Linux so be presice.

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: Bryan <Bryan@[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Anybody tried Linux on Athlon yet?
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 17:34:07 GMT

are there motherboards even out (for consumers) for the k7 yet?

M. Thomas Frederiksen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: I'm ready to buy a new box and am looking hard at the new Athlon.  I
: haven't been able to find any word on whether Linux works on Athlon or
: not.  Anybody tried it yet?  If so, what motherboard/chipset?

: If you want to send email, please send it to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

: Thanks in advance,

: Bruce Frederiksen,

: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (which is not the email address on this posting -- sorry!)

--
Bryan, http://www.Grateful.Net - Linux/Web-based Network Management
->->-> to email me, you must hunt the WUMPUS and kill it.

------------------------------

From: Nils Remmers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 17:12:49 +0200

to be seen at http://www.linux-magazin.de

Nils
--
Frage  : Können Sie wir mal 'nen IRQ zusätzlich einlöten ?
Antwort: Nein, tut mir leid. Das habe ich mir gerade abgewöhnt !

------------------------------

From: "JB" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 1999 08:08:03 -0700

I ran into the same thing when I set the refresh rate for my screen too low.
I had to boost the refresh rate past 75 to get my mouse to show up on the
screen.  Anything below that caused my mouse pointer to simply disappear.

B. Bye

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: bernward halfkann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Laser printer recommend..
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 1999 17:08:13 +0200

Matthew R. Pavlovich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I need a cheap laser printer that works well under linux..

Kyocera fs-800 works very well for me, builtin postscript level 2 emulation.
What do you mean by cheap: purchase, consumption, design?

regards
bernward

------------------------------

From: Gert van der Knokke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Redhat 6.0 -- No lp device!
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 17:51:21 +0000

Darren Enns wrote:

> CONFIG_PARPORT=y
> CONFIG_PARPORT_PC=m
> # CONFIG_PARPORT_OTHER is not set
> # CONFIG_PNP_PARPORT is not set
> CONFIG_PARIDE_PARPORT=y
> # CONFIG_PARIDE is not set

As you can see, the PARPORT_PC is a module, normally lpd will
force the kernel to autoload the module needed and all should be
fine. I'm not sure about the PARIDE line, this enables IDE
devices over the lp port, if you don't have any devices like
that maybe it's better to undef that one.

One thing more: under 2.2.x the printer devices are renumbered,
so your single parallel port will be /dev/lp0 and not as with
2.0.x /dev/lp1  After upgrading to RH6.0 and reinstalling some
stuff, I couldn't print either because printcap still had
/dev/lp1, after changing that to /dev/lp0 it would print just
fine.

Gert

=  LINUX = Unix The Next Generation ................................ =
=  [EMAIL PROTECTED]           running Linux on Intel and Alpha  =