Linux-Hardware Digest #165, Volume #13            Sun, 2 Jul 00 07:13:04 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Are TSC's synchronized in an Intel P6 SMP configurations? ("Mike Smith")
  Re: Are TSC's synchronized in an Intel P6 SMP configurations? (taniwha)
  Re: Network card ("Johnson Tan")
  dual cpu motherboard for Red Hat Linux 6.2 on X86 cpu (chad pauli)
  Re: dual cpu motherboard for Red Hat Linux 6.2 on X86 cpu (Hal Burgiss)
  Hoorah I found a modem driver. ahhh Crap!!!!
  Re: MATSHITA LS120 Ver5 (John T Pogue)
  Re: dual cpu motherboard for Red Hat Linux 6.2 on X86 cpu (Juergen Pfann)
  is a DYSAN tape still a common type? ("Dan Jacobson ¡]¿n¤¦¥§¡^")
  RH 6.2 and ultra 66 ("Paul")
  Re: dual cpu motherboard for Red Hat Linux 6.2 on X86 cpu (Hal Burgiss)
  Re: RH 6.2 and ultra 66 (Hal Burgiss)
  Re: dual cpu motherboard for Red Hat Linux 6.2 on X86 cpu (lurker)
  Re: Hoorah I found a modem driver. ahhh Crap!!!! (Edward Lee)
  SBLIVE driver OK, but no sound, CD player OK, MIC OK too, what's the problem ?
("calvix")
  56k faxmodem ("dean25")
  Re: is a DYSAN tape still a common type? (Doug McIntyre)
  Re: is a DYSAN tape still a common type? (B'ichela)
  Abit BP6/HPT366/UDMA66/Maxtor 30Gb: hdparm -d1 hangs
(=?iso-8859-1?Q?Fran=E7ois=20D=E9sarm=E9nien?=)

From: "Mike Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.arch,comp.sys.intel,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.setup.hardware
Subject: Re: Are TSC's synchronized in an Intel P6 SMP configurations?
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2000 01:14:38 GMT

"Jonathan Thornburg" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:8jl007$n45$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In an article whose nested quoting has overflowed my mental stack :(,
> someone wrote
> > On a 100 MHz FSB, for example, each clock pulse travels
> > about 3 meters -- around ten *feet* -- before the next one comes, or
would
> > if the transmission line were that long.
>
> Signals in "long-distance" copper wires (ribbon or coaxial cables)
> typically travel at anywhere from 0.3 to 0.5 times the speed of light,
> depending on the dielectric used.

Yeah, fine.  Even so, we're talking about distances over one meter.  Last
time I checked, the CPUs on my BP6 are not one meter apart.

--
Mike Smith

There are perhaps 5% of the population that simply *can't* think.
There are another 5% who *can*, and *do*.
The remaining 90% *can* think, but *don't*.
-- R. A. Heinlein

------------------------------

From: taniwha <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.arch,comp.sys.intel,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.setup.hardware,comp.arch
Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2000 18:47:00 -0700

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
  of light, it still takes electrons time to move.  A
> CPU which is farther away has to be positioned precisely in order to
> make it sync in an integral number of pulses late (e.g., 2 pulses
> instead of 2.281 pulses).

Oh - go read the Slot 1 spec in the Intel data book - it's
a synchronous bus - all the CPUS on an SMP backplane are
running on a single clock and clock skew between them
has to be way below 1 clock for it to work.. As someone else
pointed out all you have to worry about is offsets of the clocks
from different clocks coming out of reset at different times
(via the APIC protocol- one gets to be the master). I'd guess that
an OS would do some fancy footwork at boot time getting the CPUs to
agree
on TSC values - they wouldn't have tobe exact just so as you
can get the TSC skew down below the APIC message time (in clocks)
you'd be OK

EV6 (ie Athlon) on the other hand runs source-synchronous individual
CPUs can have arbitrary clock skews WRT each other (but again who cares
if the OS get the TSCs to within something less than the APIC latency)

        Paul Campbell

------------------------------

From: "Johnson Tan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Network card
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2000 11:38:16 +0800

dunno how the rest of the guys think about it but I'll like to add "Do NOT
go near a LinkSys Father Ethernet 10/100 Network Card" !!!
Nathan Caswell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:8i9mqt$d07$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
I use D-Link 530TX+ cards. They are 10/100 and retail for between $15-25.
They are Linux friendly and I've never had a problem with them. Use the
Real-Tek module.

------------------------------

From: chad pauli <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: dual cpu motherboard for Red Hat Linux 6.2 on X86 cpu
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2000 04:17:29 GMT

Hi,

I am thinking of getting a dual cpu motherboard.  Any suggestions for
the celleron or amd k6-2 series from Asus, teckram or DFI?  any idea if
AMD k6-2 or k6-3 cpus can be in a dual cpu config?

Any one running red hat linux 6.2 in a dual system?  IS there any
special verson of red hat 6.2 that must be used  for the dual cpu
config?

Any suggestions welcomed.

Chad

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hal Burgiss)
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2000 04:35:10 GMT

On Sun, 02 Jul 2000 04:17:29 GMT, chad pauli <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Any one running red hat linux 6.2 in a dual system?  IS there any
>special verson of red hat 6.2 that must be used  for the dual cpu
>config?

BP6 with 6.2. RH6.x comes with stock SMP kernels, and normally the
installation detects this OK and defaults to the right one. But I prefer
to do my own kernels, so never used RH's much. I'm sure they are OK with
Alan Cox, etc on the payroll. Other than the kernel, I can't think of
anything else that requires a special SMP config.

--
Hal B

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Hoorah I found a modem driver. ahhh Crap!!!!
Date: 02 Jul 2000 01:02:18 EDT

Hoorah I found a modem driver.....
for my HSP56 PCI Phantom by Zoltrix
A Linmodem Driver

Ah Crap It's compiled for Kernel version 2.2.5 or something, and I hae
2.2.12
oh well it has a makefile.   :<)
Uhh ok.
 Anybody willing to teach me how to recompile my driver  I tried gcc but i
was just fiddling. I( Have no real knowledge on it.
but i know it didn't work.
 =<)
Please Help.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2000 00:15:45 -0500
From: John T Pogue <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: MATSHITA LS120 Ver5

"Michael V. Ferranti" wrote:

> Here I was, minding my own business, and wouldn't you know it?
> "Lowel P. M. O'Mard" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> just had to go and say:
>
> >I have tried the command, "mount -t vfat /dev/hdc /mnt/ls120" but the
> >only response I get is "mount : /dev/hdc is not a valid block device".
>
>         I'm not sure if Linux doesn't recognize the drive (an EIDE maybe?) or
> you're entering the mount command wrong (/dev/hdc# which partition?) or
> both...wish I could help more than just that...
>
> -                Michael V. Ferranti [blades&inreach*com]
>                             GNUke The Planet!
>                           The GNUclear Network®
> ID# 177869        Registered with the Linux Counter. http://counter.li.org

I tried the same thing you did and got this back in response "I/O Error mount:
you must specify the
file system type" any suggestions? this is without the -t vfat option switches.
If I use them I get
this"mount : wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on  /dev/hdc"
I keep trying!!! any help would be appreciated!

Thanks
John

------------------------------

From: Juergen Pfann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2000 07:45:22 +0200

Hal Burgiss wrote:

> On Sun, 02 Jul 2000 04:17:29 GMT, chad pauli <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >Any one running red hat linux 6.2 in a dual system?  IS there any
> >special verson of red hat 6.2 that must be used  for the dual cpu
> >config?
> >

> BP6 with 6.2. RH6.x comes with stock SMP kernels, and normally the
> installation detects this OK and defaults to the right one. But I prefer
> to do my own kernels, so never used RH's much. I'm sure they are OK with
> Alan Cox, etc on the payroll. Other than the kernel, I can't think of
> anything else that requires a special SMP config.

Hal is talking about the Abit BP6 - a dual PPGA-370 (!) Celeron MoBo.
Even though I own the same board running stable SMP with RH 6.1 still,
as well as Caldera 2.3 and several SuSEs, I don't know if I should
recommend that board - not so much because of the numerous reports
of system lockups after several days uptime (the reason of which
still uncertain), BUT more due to the fact that the newer Celerons
come for the FC-PGA socket, and you'll soon can't buy '370 CPUs any
more.
Complain to Intel about them arbitrarily changing CPU interfaces every
few months (in order to keep the MoBo market - and the user - running
?),
but it is a fact.
Despite that, the Abit BP6 still IS a comparatively cheap entry point
into SMP IMHO - even if another limitation of it comes to my mind :
it has got only 3 SDRAM DIMM sockets, thus allowing "only" 768 MB RAM
(of which I've already implemented 640, so the "end" in sight...).
Altogether, I'd state that the BP6 with a flexible BIOS setup, espec.
for tuning FSB speed etc., is more interesting to experimenters (and
overclockers), rather than for someone willing to set up a stable
production SMP server.

Just my 2c

Juergen

------------------------------

From: "Dan Jacobson ¡]¿n¤¦¥§¡^" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.sun.hardware
Subject: is a DYSAN tape still a common type?
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2000 10:15:06 +0800

Hi, I have a tape cartridge "Dysan 100 dy600a 1/4in 620ft density
12500" that I backuped to 8 years ago.  My question is, is this still
a common tape type, or will it be like the case with 5 1/4 " floppies,
where I better hurry to tranfer to other media before I can't find
anybody who can read the tape anymore?   I note that www.dysan.com is
"for rent".
--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]$o$m.tw    (¿n¤¦¥§)
http://www.geocities.com/jidanni   Tel: +886-4-5854780

------------------------------

From: "Paul" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.redhat
Subject: RH 6.2 and ultra 66
Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2000 23:12:40 -0700

How can I get a promise ultra 66 controller working with RH 6.2.  I have
seen drivers for 6.0, and tried those, but keep getting a wrong kernel
version error.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hal Burgiss)
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2000 06:07:34 GMT

On Sun, 02 Jul 2000 07:45:22 +0200, Juergen Pfann
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hal Burgiss wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, 02 Jul 2000 04:17:29 GMT, chad pauli
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> >
>> >Any one running red hat linux 6.2 in a dual system?  IS there any
>> >special verson of red hat 6.2 that must be used  for the dual cpu
>> >config?
>> >

>> BP6 with 6.2. RH6.x comes with stock SMP kernels, and normally the
>> installation detects this OK and defaults to the right one. But I prefer
>> to do my own kernels, so never used RH's much. I'm sure they are OK with
>> Alan Cox, etc on the payroll. Other than the kernel, I can't think of
>> anything else that requires a special SMP config.
>>

>Hal is talking about the Abit BP6 - a dual PPGA-370 (!) Celeron MoBo.
>Even though I own the same board running stable SMP with RH 6.1 still,
>as well as Caldera 2.3 and several SuSEs, I don't know if I should
>recommend that board - not so much because of the numerous reports of
>system lockups after several days uptime (the reason of which still
>uncertain), BUT more due to the fact that the newer Celerons come for
>the FC-PGA socket, and you'll soon can't buy '370 CPUs any more.

Yes, I didn't intentionally recommend it for various reasons. I fought
the lockups for many moons. I finally got it stable with the QQ BIOS, but
it has been a hair raising experience. I still feel like I am walking on
ice, though have not had a lockup since late Feb. But also the Celeron
changes. The HPT ATA/66 has been a source of problems for some as well.

--
Hal B

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hal Burgiss)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.redhat
Subject: Re: RH 6.2 and ultra 66
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2000 06:18:38 GMT

On Sat, 1 Jul 2000 23:12:40 -0700, Paul <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>How can I get a promise ultra 66 controller working with RH 6.2.  I have
>seen drivers for 6.0, and tried those, but keep getting a wrong kernel
>version error.

Patch the kernel. See linux-ide.org. Or try 2.4.x kernel. Some code base
AFAIK.

--
Hal B

From: lurker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2000 02:31:06 -0400

On Sun, 02 Jul 2000 04:35:10 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hal
Burgiss) wrote:

>On Sun, 02 Jul 2000 04:17:29 GMT, chad pauli <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>>Any one running red hat linux 6.2 in a dual system?  IS there any
>>special verson of red hat 6.2 that must be used  for the dual cpu
>>config?
>>

>BP6 with 6.2. RH6.x comes with stock SMP kernels, and normally the
>installation detects this OK and defaults to the right one. But I prefer
>to do my own kernels, so never used RH's much. I'm sure they are OK with
>Alan Cox, etc on the payroll. Other than the kernel, I can't think of
>anything else that requires a special SMP config.

Disabling power management is also recommended.

------------------------------

From: Edward Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Hoorah I found a modem driver. ahhh Crap!!!!
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 08:42:46 -0700

You can just download the PCT7890 driver at http://linnix.com

------------------------------

From: "calvix" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SBLIVE driver OK, but no sound, CD player OK, MIC OK too, what's the problem ?
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2000 14:41:51 +0800

i upgraded my kernel to 2.2.14 successfully. it includes emu10k1 driver for
sblive, it works fine. i can listen to CD Audio and the microphone works
fine too, but i can't play MP3, it says something like: esound something
something

i tried to cat afile.wav > /dev/sound, the sound is totally different, like
it is raw/unformatted sound or does /dev/sound not support .wav ?

any help appriciated. thank you very much.

------------------------------

From: "dean25" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: 56k faxmodem
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2000 06:39:54 GMT

I am a rather new Linux user and need to know where I can get a driver for
my 3Com 56k faxmodem model # 5610.

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.sys.sun.hardware
Subject: Re: is a DYSAN tape still a common type?
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Doug McIntyre)
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2000 06:53:38 GMT

"Dan Jacobson ¡]¿n¤¦¥§¡^" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>Hi, I have a tape cartridge "Dysan 100 dy600a 1/4in 620ft density
>12500" that I backuped to 8 years ago.  My question is, is this still
>a common tape type, or will it be like the case with 5 1/4 " floppies,
>where I better hurry to tranfer to other media before I can't find
>anybody who can read the tape anymore?   I note that www.dysan.com is
>"for rent".

Sounds like a standard QIC-24 tape, which aren't too standard
anymore. Most drives that can read this type of tape are ancient
history (being anything over 5 years in the computer world is pretty
much ancient history..).

Things that seem to have some lasting value lately have been 4mm DAT
and DLT's, with new formats being around (AIT, Mammoth, etc, that are
too soon to tell about lasting value).  Best yet would be to burn it
into CD, they are so common now-a-days, the format should be around
for quite some time.

Dysan made media, and didn't really define any standards.

--
Doug McIntyre                                           [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Network Engineer/Tech Support/Jack of All Trades of Vector Internet

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (B'ichela)
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.sun.hardware
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2000 02:25:29 -0400

On Sun, 2 Jul 2000 10:15:06 +0800, Dan Jacobson ¡]¿n¤¦¥§¡^
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hi, I have a tape cartridge "Dysan 100 dy600a 1/4in 620ft density
>12500" that I backuped to 8 years ago.  My question is, is this still
>a common tape type, or will it be like the case with 5 1/4 " floppies,
>where I better hurry to tranfer to other media before I can't find
>anybody who can read the tape anymore?   I note that www.dysan.com is
>"for rent".
        If I am correct. this tape is the same as a DC600A from
3M/Imation. I know for a fact that my old crufty Wangtek 5150es reads
them VERY well, In fact, my drive PREFERS them over the DC6150s I have
bought from Maxwell (ugh! Maxwell Data tapes seem to SUCK!) I can read
it for you and xfer it to a DC2120 mini-tape if you need. (or if I had
the HD space I could xfer it to a DC6250 (you supply the blanks, I am
broke).
        While we are on the tape and quality issues. which types of
data cartridges seem to work the best? the Worst? My drive seems to
like the following
DC600A, DC6150, DC6250 (according to wangtek support, it can do this
one). My little beastie floppy based IOMEGA Ditto 800 (also on same
macnine) does DC2120, TR1, Dc2120EX or is it XL? (the big honkers that
look like 8tracks (no insults, I happen to listen to 8tracks).
        I tried the Maxells as I got a good deal  for them, they
suck!i tapes are full of read errors! (yes, my heads are clean!) Cans
someone tell me how to reformat these? I mean LOW-LEVEL format and
verify!
the 3Ms I have that are over 20 years old read/write without errors!
How are Verbatum DC600A or DC6250 or DC2120s? Should I stick with
Imation tapes?

--

                        B'ichela

------------------------------

From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Fran=E7ois=20D=E9sarm=E9nien?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Abit BP6/HPT366/UDMA66/Maxtor 30Gb: hdparm -d1 hangs
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2000 12:16:38 +0200

Hello,

When I try to setup DMA mode on my BP6, bios revision XXXXRU,
HPT366 bios 1.21, not overclocked, it hangs the kernel. The
hard drive is a Maxtor 30Go, alone in the system.

I single user mode:

# hdparm -t /dev/hde

/dev/hde:
 Timing buffered disk reads:  64 MB in 25.93 seconds =  2.47 MB/sec

# hdparm -d1 /dev/hde

# hdparm -t /dev/hde

/dev/hde:
 Timing buffered disk reads:  hde: timeout waiting for DMA
 ide_dmaproc: chipset supported idc_dma_timeout func only 12

then it completly freezes :-(

What means this error message ?

The relevant part of dmesg (ide) gives:

Uniform Multi-Platform E-IDE driver Revision: 6.30
ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with idebus=xx
PIIX4: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 39
PIIX4: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
    ide0: BM-DMA at 0xf000-0xf007, BIOS settings: hda:pio, hdb:pio
    ide1: BM-DMA at 0xf008-0xf00f, BIOS settings: hdc:pio, hdd:pio
HPT366: onboard version of chipset, pin1=1 pin2=2
PCI: HPT366: Fixing interrupt 18 pin 2 to ZERO
HPT366: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 98
HPT366: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
    ide2: BM-DMA at 0xd800-0xd807, BIOS settings: hde:DMA, hdf:pio
HPT366: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 99
HPT366: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
    ide3: BM-DMA at 0xe400-0xe407, BIOS settings: hdg:pio, hdh:pio
hde: Maxtor 53073U6, ATA DISK drive
ide2 at 0xd000-0xd007,0xd402 on irq 18
hde: Maxtor 53073U6, 29311MB w/2048kB Cache, CHS=59554/16/63

At first look, the DMA mode is on for /dev/hde...I don't see any problem
there.

I'm going to have a look at the driver, but if someone has I idea about
what's happening, it would certainly save me a lot of time...

Many thanks for your time,

François Désarménien

------------------------------

From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Fran=E7ois=20D=E9sarm=E9nien?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2000 12:23:54 +0200

Oh, I forgot the output of hdparm -i:

# hdparm -i /dev/hde

/dev/hde:

 Model=Maxtor 53073U6, FwRev=DA6207V0, SerialNo=K605WFLC
 Config={ Fixed }
 RawCHS=16383/16/63, TrkSize=0, SectSize=0, ECCbytes=57
 BuffType=DualPortCache, BuffSize=2048kB, MaxMultSect=16, MultSect=16
 CurCHS=65535/1/63, CurSects=4128705, LBA=yes, LBAsects=60030432
 IORDY=on/off, tPIO={min:120,w/IORDY:120}, tDMA={min:120,rec:120}
 PIO modes: pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4
 DMA modes: mdma0 mdma1 mdma2 udma0 udma1 udma2 udma3 udma4

so it *should* work, no ?

Many thanks for your time,

François Désarménien