Linux-Hardware Digest #288, Volume #9            Thu, 28 Jan 99 06:13:41 EST

Contents:
  Re: Modem not dialing... ("Ronald BAL")
  Re: ESS-Solo 1 sound cards? (Raimonds Cicans)
  Re: realaudio heavy CPU loading (Stephen E. Halpin)
  Re: Cheapest Linux "Hardmodem"?  Less than $55.95? (Michael Paxton)
  ESS-Solo 1 sound cards? ("Jose L. Gomez Dans")
  Re: Maxtor Diamond Max 13.6 (Mark Hahn)
  Intel Etherexpress Pro 100 NOT 100B driver? ("Frank B. Pound")
  Re: I need a Linux Guru for a printer problem.... (Gary Momarison)
  RedHat 5.2 installation boot locks up ("Nathan Lee")
  Re: Good Linux Benchmarks?? (Gary Momarison)
  Re: Winmodem or no?? (Charlie Vigue)
  Re: Home network: What hardware on client and server? (Matthew Vanecek)
  Red Hat 5.2 install fail ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: iMac vs PC (Miguel Cruz)
  Re: Where to spend more money to speed up file server? (Steeve McCauley)
  Re: infrared driver (Miguel Cruz)
  Re: linux max RAM is 1GB? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Adaptec 2940 AUW problem ("Ben Goble, Lakewood Colorado")
  Re: SB AudioPCI 64v and Redhat 5.1 ("steve krisjanovs")
  Re: linux help channel (Edwin Calimbo)
  Re: which distribution package do you recommend? (Tony Eamick)
  Thinservers ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Rack Mount Enclosures ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  TV in/out on ASUS TNT? ("Martin =?iso-8859-1?Q?Wahlstr=F6m?=")
  Re: 3COM sells crippled modems (was  3COM "support" (was: any voice capable/fax
modem software for use in warp4?)) ("Iain Bennett")

From: "Ronald BAL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Modem not dialing...
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 21:24:42 +0100

> After minicom initializes the modem, minicom
>reports that it is already online.  I try
>to hang up, but minicom reports the whole time that I am still
>on-line.

Maybe IRQ3 is used by another device? If win95 is installed too you can
check via the control panel. in Linux you can use isapnp if it's a
pnp-modem. With a second-hand machine this could be the case. check not only
the ports but cdrom,disk,printer... too. Check also the other settings of
the modem port

Greetings,

Ronald

------------------------------

From: Raimonds Cicans <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ESS-Solo 1 sound cards?
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 10:11:39 +0200

Jose L. Gomez Dans wrote:
>   I've just bought a ESS Solo 1 PCI soundcard (bundled with a video card;
> dead cheap). I am running Debian, and I would like to know if any drivers
> exist for this card, or if it can be made compatible somehow.

  AFAIK it's supported under "Advanced Linux Sound Architecture" driver
url http://alsa.jcu.cz/

                                                         Raymond

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stephen E. Halpin)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: realaudio heavy CPU loading
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 07:42:38 GMT

On 27 Jan 1999 17:51:32 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Eric Potter) wrote:

>[Posted and mailed]
>
>Kelvin Leung enlightened this group thus:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I got my RH 5.2 running with Ensoniq PCI sound card. I have the alsa
>> sound driver works fine. Both X11amp and Realaudio can produce sound
>> out. But the RealAudio heavily load my CPU (K6-166 overclocked to 200).
>> The audio is interrupted everytime I change to another window , or
>> browsing within Netscape. I got the CPU load monitor fire up and it
>> seems the CPU is fully occupied! I don't think it's the CPU problem 'cos
>> I don't have problem with X11amp, also the Realaudio (not G2) in Windows
>> in the same machine. Is that a fact or just my system doing weird!?
>>
>> Kelvin
>
>The sound driver in the 2.2.0 kernel performs much better.  The problem with
>interruptions when switching between windows has been pretty much eliminated.

This falls in the IIRC catagory, but the same discussion occured some
time back in one of the FreeBSD newsgroups, where a new audio driver
was required to run the Linux version of Real Audio.  Apparently
Real Audio uses a hook in the sound driver which wasnt fully functional
to determine how much data had really been emitted by the sound card
so it could synchronize the video motion with the sound track.  This
seems to cause Real Audio to draw all the CPU you can give it.  The
FreeBSD port of RealAudio 3.0 (no video) with the older drivers took
very little CPU time.  Supposidly sound driver updates will address
the issue, so it would not be unlikely that some Linux sound drivers
may have similar issues.

>--
>   *  ^  \     ___@
> *^  / \  \   |  \
> / \/   \  \__|   \
>/  /   ^ \  \
>  /       \  \           Eric Potter
> /  ^   ^  \  \

-Steve

------------------------------

From: Michael Paxton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Cheapest Linux "Hardmodem"?  Less than $55.95?
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 11:22:33 +1100

I payed 10 bucks for my v.90 from a guy on a street corner and it works
ju&%*&%^&*
(*&^%$
#$%^&*(
NO CARRIER

------------------------------

From: "Jose L. Gomez Dans" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ESS-Solo 1 sound cards?
Date: 27 Jan 1999 18:59:55 GMT

Hi!
  I've just bought a ESS Solo 1 PCI soundcard (bundled with a video card;
dead cheap). I am running Debian, and I would like to know if any drivers
exist for this card, or if it can be made compatible somehow.

  Thanks a lot!
  Jose

--
Jose L Gomez Dans                       PhD student
                                        Radar & Communications Group

------------------------------

From: Mark Hahn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Maxtor Diamond Max 13.6
Date: 27 Jan 1999 18:51:49 GMT

> Ignore the moronic advert and buy it.  Pedestrian 5400rpm/9ms/UDMA-2.  Most

the PR is probably referring to the 8.4G limit that some OS's
might fail with.

> likely: a little slow, tiny cache, but cheap $/GB, and it's certainly a

it's actually DAMN fast.  as in 10-15 MB/s.  not quite as fast as
a high-end, 10K rpm SCSI, but then again, it's also $20/GB, rather than $90.

and remember: UDMA33 is more secure than SCSI, since the latter has
only parity, and UDMA has a 16b checksum ;)

------------------------------

From: "Frank B. Pound" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Intel Etherexpress Pro 100 NOT 100B driver?
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 00:05:48 GMT

Where can I find the code to compile the
intel etherexpress pro 100 driver?
PILA 8465 as per Intel's web site.
The 100b is different from the 100 I have
and the 100b driver by Becker won't work.

It is a pci card with no jumpers and comes up
with the bios screen at irq 10 and address 0x6000
yes six thousand hex.

I had to download an NT driver for it from Intel's site
but I can't find the Linux driver on any of my distros.

Thanks for the help.

------------------------------

From: Gary Momarison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: I need a Linux Guru for a printer problem....
Date: 24 Jan 1999 16:15:21 -0800

Jos=E9 DELFOSSE <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> What I have:
> =

> Red Hat 5.2
> Alladin Ghostscript 5.10
> Epson Stylus Color 740
> =

> When I try "cat an_ascii_file > /dev/lp1", there is nothing working. Th=
> printer seems to received no
> data as if it was switched off.
> =

> So, I did "tunelp /dev/lp1" and I got the following message "/dev/lp1
> using polling"
> =

> I then tried "tunelp /dev/lp1 -i 7" to use the IRQ. Now,"cat
> an_ascii_file > dev/lp1" is working. But
> the page is not ejected when the printing is done.

Sending ASCII to the printer won't cause paper to be ejected unless
it contains a form-feed character (or the printer thinks the current
page is full and does an auto-form-feed).

> =

> Anyway, I tried a postscript file: "lpr x.ps". The printer first ejecte=
> several blank pages. Then
> printed a lot of pages with just odd lines at the beginning. I couldn't=

> stop it. :-(
> =

> Why the printer is not working when lp1 is using polling ? and why it i=
> going wrong with
> postscript when it's using the IRQ ?

1) Don't worry about it. Interrupt-driven I/O is usually better anyway.
2) I'm not sure. See below.
> =

> A few other informations about the printer( GS options, printcap...) :

Try "Some more information ...". "Information" seldom takes "s".

> Options in /var/spool/lp/postcsript.cfg are
> =

> GSDEVICE=3Duniprint
> EXTRA_GS_OPTIONS=3D"@stc600pl.upp"

Try "stcolor" and "" for this pair.  I don't know the magic for the 740.
It's a FAQ. Try DejaNews.

-- =

Look for Linux info at http://www.dejanews.com/home_ps.shtml and in
Gary's Encyclopedia at http://www.aa.net/~swear/pedia/index.html

------------------------------

From: "Nathan Lee" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RedHat 5.2 installation boot locks up
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 18:36:55 -0500

I'm attempting to install RH 5.2.  I'm not quite sure what's going on,
though I have a theory, so I'll just describe the problem:  I boot the
machine off the boot disk I made and hit <enter> to begin the installation
process.  The kernel starts loading, and everything looks fine, until it
detects my IDE devices.  It (apparently) correctly recognizes IDE 0 (my
harddrive) and IDE 1 (nothing), and then it just locks.

My thoughts: I'm thinking maybe it doesn't like my CDROMs or my SCSI
adapter, but I'm not familiar enough with the bootup process to know what
gets loaded in what order.  Any help or suggestions (or solutions) are
greatly appreciated.  Below are my system specs:

My system config:
IDE 0 - 1.2 GB HD
IDE 1 - nothing
IDE 2 - 8x Acer CDROM
IDE 3 - 18x Acer CDROM
Primary IDE controller - IRQ 14
Intel 82371AB/EB PCI bus master IDE Controller - IRQ 14
Secondary IDE controller - IRQ 15
Intel 82371AB/EB PCI bus master IDE Controller - IRQ 15

SCSI: JazJet AdvanSys PCI SCSI Host Adapter - IRQ 11
Jaz Drive - 1 GB

USB: INtel 82371AB/EB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller - IRQ 11
  NO DEVICES

ATI Graphics Pro Turbo PCI (mach64 GX)
SoundBlasterAWE64 - IRQ 5
Addtron generic NE2000-compatible NIC - IRQ 10  I/O: x0340 - 035F

=Nathan=

------------------------------

From: Gary Momarison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Good Linux Benchmarks??
Date: 24 Jan 1999 16:17:43 -0800

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (David) writes:

> Anyone know of some decent disk and graphic benchmarks for Linux?

I don't know about "decent", but try

http://www.aa.net/~swear/pedia/benchmarks.html

From: Charlie Vigue <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.modems
Subject: Re: Winmodem or no??
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 12:33:44 -0800

Rick Brice wrote:

> Interesting Idea
> but basically there is nothing standard about the external modem except
> that the RS232? interface is a specification, not a standard, that you
> generally cannot depend upon for consistency from one manufacturer, much
> less from different manufacturers.
> The wiring may be different from series to series or manufacturer to
> manufacturer.....
> from one generation of software to the next you cannot even depend on the
> same implementations of a/an/(the?) AT command set.
> When you add in an external interface RS232 ports on whatever manufacturers
> computer, using whatever manufacturer's UART's, or Modem emulator's, or
> however they see fit to implement the interface to the external box......ad
> infinitum........

Does this help?

Document Number: ANSI/TIA/EIA 232-F-1997

Title: Interface Between Data Terminal Equipment and Data Circuit-Terminating
Equipment Employing Serial Binary Data Interchange
(revision of ANSI/EIA/TIA 232-E-1991)

Scope: Applicable to the interconnection of data terminal equipment (DTE) and
data circuit-terminating equipment (DCE) employing serial binary data
interchange. It defines: signal characteristics; inter face mechanical
characteristics; functional description of interchange circuits; and standard
interfaces for selected communication system configurations.

ANSI Approval Date: 9/30/97

======================

Charlie

------------------------------

From: Matthew Vanecek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Home network: What hardware on client and server?
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 15:20:58 -0600

Chris Bitmead wrote:

> I'm building a home network based on a server permanently connected to
> the internet, and a client workstation. The server will be a web
> server/email receiver that must always stay up. I'm not sure which good
> bits to put on the client and what on the server. The LAN will probably
> be 100MBS ethernet.
>
> The server can have a crappy graphics card, and maybe no monitor at all.
> The client will have a 21" monitor and a graphics card with lots of
> memory.
>
> Option 1: Should I plan to run everything off of the server and have the
> client as almost just an X Server? (Well the client would probably I
> guess have a swap disk and small local partition?). Will the performance
> of this suck? In other words should I build a really BEEFY server, with
> SCSI disks etc and a weak client?

Run your Internet servers (ftp, http, sendmail, etc) on the router and
firewall everything.  If you only have the one IP address, also
masquerade the other boxes. Your workstation should be the beefy
machine; use your older computer for the Internet connection.

> Option 2: The middle option. Run all my apps on the client, but mount
> all my data via NFS from the server?

You could, but I wouldn't keep my data on the server.  What if it gets
hacked? (it *could* happen)

> Option 3: Should I consider the server to be basicly just a router and
> internet server and put all my real data on the client? The performance
> may be better but it wouldn't allow me to access my data from other
> places on the internet if I need to. (Well I could, but that would mean
> leaving my client  workstation on all the time too which seems silly.)

Well, if you have several Linux boxes, you could keep all your X apps on
one box, and run them over the net.  Each box would have to have it's
own server, though, specific to the video card.  If only one box +
internet access box, just keep all your X apps on your Workstation.
Just be aware that the machine connected to the net is vulnerable to
attack, and properly firewall your network, and you can pretty much do
what you want.  If you are going to use 100M connections, then the
question of performance is moot; not much can move that fast, even SCSI
(well, SCSI cheap enough for us to own, anyhow! ;) ).
Each box needs to have at least enough on it to boot the machine and get
on the network. From there, you can do what you want.

As for accessing your workstation remotely, you can ssh to your server,
and from thence to the workstation.  Or you could use IP port forwarding
(ipportfw or ipchains), which forwards requests on a specific port to
the server, to the workstation.  Also, I rarely turn any of my machines
off.  I turn monitors off, but my machines run constantly.  Most people
I know rarely turn their workstations off.  At work, I only turn my
machine off on Friday evenings (well, aside from rebooting several times
a day, because it's Windows)

> My Gut says go with option 2. Can anyone elaborate on the performance
> implications?
>
> But according to which options, where should I bother with SCSI disks?
> If the server only has one disk and a small number of users connected
> (mainly just one) then I guess SCSI is probably overkill. And in this
> case being just a file server it shouldn't be much in need of a fast
> swap partition on a separate disk. So I'm wondering if SCSI is overkill.

SCSI should be used in any multi-tasking OS.  This includes Linux, of
course. No, it's not overkill.  IDE has come a long ways, though, but is
still not as good as SCSI.  Use SCSI wherever you can, if you can afford
to.  For me, my Linux workstation is all scsi, and my server and, umm,
storage machine? are both IDE, as is my NT box.  I would be happier,
though, if I could have made them all scsi, but such is life (and my
pocketbook!)

In short, SCSI is much better for your system than not-scsi.

> The client would have a bare OS and SWAP on the local drive, and most fs
> mounted on NFS so I'm guessing that SCSI would also be not too useful
> here.

Not true.  IDE works best with OS's working in real mode, such as DOS.
Linux, and Unix in general, as well as NT (and maybe Windows, even
though it's not an 'operating system'), would benefit from scsi.

Although, as I said above, IDE has come a long way, and IDE makers
*claim* that it's (almost) as good as SCSI. (HAH!)

I would go as much scsi as you could afford to.

--
Matthew Vanecek
Studies in Business Computers at the University of North Texas

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Red Hat 5.2 install fail
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 09:45:23 GMT

Hi everybody,

My config is a Digital "personnal workstation"

     Pentium II 300 Mhz
     192 Mbytes ram
     Qlogic isp1040 ultra scsi controller
     Quantum ultra scsi disk
     Ide cdrom
     Onboard 3D labs permedia 2 graphic controller

Installing Red Hat 5.2 fails during file copy. (never on the same file).
The beginning is ok except the scsi detection, it find an isp1020 (i have a
1040). Partitionning is ok, file copy begins and suddenly fail. the system is
completely hang.

i have tried to install Red Hat 5.2 on 2 other systems (different hardware)
and all is ok. install works fine.

My question: is Qlogic isp1040 supported on that distribution (in the FAQ'S i
find Qlogic isp with no more precision) ?

Or am i wrong about the diagnostic and another problem disturb my
installation ?

Thanks for help

Regards                  Thierry

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Miguel Cruz)
Subject: Re: iMac vs PC
Date: 28 Jan 1999 10:09:58 GMT

steve krisjanovs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> I haven't used a floppy drive in years. Software comes on CD-ROM. Once you
>> get used to using the Internet to move things round, floppies become really
>> pointless.
>
> Gee, I guess every computer on earth is equipped with a CD burner eh? With
> that kind of rationalle, how the hell do you expect to port your work
> between the home and office without an internet connection (I know I
> know.... most people, including newbie mac owners, have a inet connection,
> but that doesnt excuse the blatent lack of such a fundamental piece of
> hardware such as a floppy device) ?

Is there supposed to be some logic hidden in there?

"How do you expect to get your work home?"
"I know, most people have an internet connection."
"Even so, now that I have accepted that the floppy is pointless, there's no
excuse for not having one!"

miguel

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Steeve McCauley)
Crossposted-To: comp.dcom.servers,comp.protocols.smb
Subject: Re: Where to spend more money to speed up file server?
Date: 27 Jan 1999 21:22:12 GMT

Rod Roark ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: John Rowe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: >I'm looking to set up a linux file server, primarily running samba
: >2.0....
: >So, where, if anywhere, is it worth spending more money?

: Get the book "Samba: Integrating UNIX and Windows" by John D. Blair,
: published by SSC.  Best $30 I ever spent.  :-)

I've been meaning to buy this book for some time now.  Apparently
it is out of print, I walked ALL OVER today and then checked
out amazon, barnesandnoble and chaptersglobe.  Amazon and chapters
both claim that the wait will be 3 to 5 weeks!  Damn!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Miguel Cruz)
Subject: Re: infrared driver
Date: 28 Jan 1999 10:15:15 GMT

Serje Beaudoin  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I try to find one infrared driver for linux> Someone know something
> about that ???

I am interested in this too.

I would like to have my computer handle all my remote controls, because
there are too many things they can't do.

I want the TV/stereo to mute when I answer with speakerphone.
I want a single universal remote to control everything, including MP3s
playing on the computer.
I would like to be able to dial the speakerphone with the remote.
I want the stereo to switch to "Aux" input when I play music on the
computer.

And so on.

So I guess I need hardware to receive the signals from the remote, and
transmitters I can hang on the TV, cable box, stereo, etc.

Has anyone done anything like this?

miguel

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: linux max RAM is 1GB?
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 09:21:10 GMT

In article <78m19r$sn2$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,

> For some reason that I don't remember I believe that the 32 bits, although
> theoretically capable of addressing 4GB, can only really address 2GB.  But
> shouldn't this be actually 2G"words" (32 or 64 bits wide?)

Actually, Intel processors allow you to access memory bytes individually, so
restricting the memory to 2^32 bytes.

Hugo

Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 14:38:26 -0700
From: "Ben Goble, Lakewood Colorado" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Adaptec 2940 AUW problem

I am having exactly the same problem with
an Adaptec 3940AUW and RedHat 5.2.
BTW, is your CD on Channel B (mine is)?

Anyone know of any version of Linux that
will install on a dual channel Adaptec?

--
Ben Goble  Lakewood,  Colorado  USA
bgoble at uswest dot net  bgoble at nyx dot net

------------------------------

From: "steve krisjanovs" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SB AudioPCI 64v and Redhat 5.1
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 20:55:10 GMT

Did the sound-HOWTO mention a set of Drivers called ALSA (your Sound card is
also supported in OSS - Open Sound System, but that driver's capablilities
are limited and cost money - but hey, it's another option for you, and it's
easier to install than ALSA)?

If not, then follow the link:

http://alsa.jcu.cz/

I use alsa as the sound driver source for my SB 128 PCI (it uses the same
chipset as yours, so I too had problems at first).

Steve.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Edwin Calimbo)
Subject: Re: linux help channel
Date: 28 Jan 99 10:14:33 GMT

Tom ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: I have started a new channel on IRC for new linux users it is
: #linuxhelpers
: If you need help or would like to help please visit the channel .
: The channel also needs  Operaters .
: lattin

You forgot to mention _which_ irc network the channel is on.

--

====================

Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 22:10:19 -0700
From: Tony Eamick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: which distribution package do you recommend?

You might try Suse 3.2 . It comes out of Germany and would definately have a
German language version . It is also a fine pkg with drivers for up to date
video
cards.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Thinservers
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 21:20:25 GMT

Does anybody have any experience or tested thinserver kit. It looks good
unlimited NT logins and access to disks from windows or a browser.

http://www.dynax.co.uk/products/dynax/storage/thinserver/thinserver.htm

Eric

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Rack Mount Enclosures
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 00:35:42 GMT

In article <785efi$4b1$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Stacy D. Coil" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Where do you get your rack mount enclosures?  Which vender do you like?
> What product do you think is the best?

I bought most of my rackmount chassis from PCW Microsystems. They
have on-line rackmount catalog at http://web3.pcwnet.com/PrdGuide.htm
at fairly good price.

What I like about PCW is their rackmount chassis quality
and availability.  I am a computer network consultant. To me,
vendors' product availability is very important. If rackmount
vendors didn't have rackmount chassis in stock when I needed them,
I had to waste a lot valuable time waiting for the vendors' back
order. I hate back orders. Some vendors I had dealt with in the past
screwed me many times with their back orders.

Jack V.

my customer

They

From: "Martin =?iso-8859-1?Q?Wahlstr=F6m?=" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: TV in/out on ASUS TNT?
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 09:43:53 +0100

Hi!

Is there a way to use the sVHS/video in/out functions of
my ASUS AGP-3400TNT/TV card?

Just checked video4linux, but it seems that it just supports 'TV-cards'
and not TV functions on graphics cards.

Any hints, URLs, etc?

    Martin/

This is just my opinion and has nothing to do
with the company named "Ericsson"

Email:  Martin . Wahlstrom @ uab . ericsson . se

From: "Iain Bennett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.os2.setup.misc,comp.os.os2.comm,comp.os.os2.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: 3COM sells crippled modems (was  3COM "support" (was: any voice
capable/fax modem software for use in warp4?))
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 17:11:26 -0500

>Following is the entire text of my exchange with 3COM "support", edited
only to
>remove my e-mail address from the .sigs.  The initial message was
transmitted to
>them from their web site; the rest is e-mail.  I submitted the web site
inquiry
>on November 29 and their first response was on 9 January.
>
>I hope everyone appreciates the identitification of OS/2 and Linux as
"legacy
>systems".

Duh, weren't we stupid for buying a Winmodem.  You'll find that if you read
the box to your modem that you bought a piece of crap Winmodem.