From: "Todd Simi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Athlon vs Dual PIII
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 1999 21:00:33 -0700

I'm going to be running SCSU Ultra2 Wide, so the IDE stuff isn't an issue
for me.

Todd

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "John Wilcox" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Zip drive and Linux
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1999 00:27:16 -0500

I have a Zip-Zoom, Based on the Adaptec 1502, what can I do to get it
working under Linux?

John Wilcox

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: HPT366 Ultra DMA
Date: 19 Sep 1999 05:27:44 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
: I'm using an HPT366 Driver for my Windows Machine and I want to install
: linux as well on it.  However, the kernel can't seem to find the HPT366
: controller, and thus, can't see the hard-drive attached to it as well.
: Anybody know of any workaround or driver support for that?  If so,
: thanks.

Take a look here:

  http://www.csie.ntu.edu.tw/~b6506063/hpt-366/

For more details on Linux and HPT-366.

-- Chuan-kai Lin

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Installing linux on UDMA66 hard drive
Date: 19 Sep 1999 05:28:29 GMT

Take a look at:

From: "Student, T.U.E." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Anyone use SB PCI 64 or 128 sound card with Linux?
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 1999 18:33:37 +0200

ALSA works truly great with this card. Its definitely worth a try. The Linux
2.2.12 kernel might have native support for this card also, I don't know.
ALSA is something you need to look at, if you're need afraid to compile
programs :-) The card itself has a very good quality, and 2 DAC's, which
makes it possible to for example use Licq and Quake3 at the same time...OSS
works fine for this card, too, and so should the native kernel drivers. MIDI
support is another thing. There is NO hardware midi on that card, it's
software based. You will need software like Timidity to use MIDI with this
card

Martijn Coenen

news:7ruqmi$mrq$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: jnettles <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Followup: Abit BP6 motherboard + RH6 can't see UDMA/66 C:
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1999 06:25:29 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Robert McMillin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> : FYI, I got a very nice response from Brandon (no last name), who said that
> : there were links to UDMA patches at
> : http://opensource.captech.com/LinuxIDE/. Now, how do I go about installing
> : RH6 with a crippled kernel? Guess I get to roll a new kernel on another
> : machine, right?
>
> There is a trick to make HPT-366 work on standard kernels, which is
> quite useful when you want to install a brand new system on a harddisk
> connected to the UDMA/66 channel.  Check out:
>
>   http://www.csie.ntu.edu.tw/~b6506063/hpt-366/
>
> -- Chuan-kai Lin

The quick-and-dirty method (outlined in the URL you mentioned) is to boot the
system (any way you can/want to) and then cat /proc/pci and look for the
controller info.  Next, reboot the system and add (w/o the quotes)
"ide2=0xAAAA,0xBBBB,IRQ" to the image name at the LILO boot prompt,
substituting the memory addresses and IRQ found in /proc/pci.

This worked for me!  I have a BP6 with a scounged WD 220 MB hda and and
13.5GB IBM UDMA/66-only hde, so you can imagine my difficulties in trying to
get enough disk space to compile a kernel!

2.2.12 with the ide.2.2.12.patch is working nicely, BTW, but I found that
setting the drive's parameters with hdparm improved performance immensely:
hdparm -Tt 15.7 MB/s after vs. only 2.6MB/s before!!!  The hdparm tuning won't
work unless you have the ide.patch installed to provide native HTP366 support,
however.

An unsolicited plug:  got my BP6 with 2 Celery 366's overclocked to 550 MHz
from www.sunshinestar.com for < $350 US!!!  Burned in and guaranteed to run
error free at 550 MHz at <= 2.2 volts.  Linux reports 1100 bogomips - This
thing screams!

Hope this helps...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rune Strand)
Subject: Re: SB PCI128 installation woes
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 1999 06:54:10 GMT

Hi

Since you're running RH, you could try the sndconfig program and
select Ensonique (It says SB 128 PCI in parenthesis). I have the same
card, and it worked fine for me. In the kernel-config, you'll not have
choose the OSS support at all.

--rune

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rune Strand)
Subject: Plz. help: "lost interrupt", CD-player, Tekram P6B40D-A5
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 1999 06:48:52 GMT

Hi

I recently changed my mainboard and processor. During boot, Linux
still identifies the CD-player, but hangs for 5 seconds, displays
"hdc: lost interrupt", and the manage to get the hardware specs.

I can sucessfully mount /dev/cdrom, but when trying to read from it,
the message "hdc: lost interrupt" pops up again and again and I'll
have to kill the mount process brutally in order to regain control
over the system. The same happens with "hdparm".

The CD-player is set as master, secondary IDE.
Everything worked fine prior to the hardware upgrade. W98/Win200 and
BeOs 4.5 all access the device without any problems.

I've compiled support for atapi cd both in kernel and as module with
the same result.

Does anyone know what the cause is and how to fix it?

Thanks!

--rune

________
Sys.Info:
RH 6.0, Kernel 2.2.12 / 2.3.18
CD-Player:      Pioneer DR-A24X
Mainboard:      Tekram P6B40D-A5
CPU:            2x450 Piii

------------------------------

From: jnettles <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: overclocked system?
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1999 06:53:36 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Tim wrote:
> >
> > I was thinking about installing linux on my system which has an
> > overclocked 300a to 450 on an Abit bx6 board. I heard linux is more
> > "sensitive" to overclocking than windows, but scince I'm not
> > overclocking the pci bus (running at the 100 bus) I wondered if people
> > had success with it. Thanks.
>
> I have a negative experience. However, I do not have ABIT board. I have
> PC100 BX Pro and Linux will not run when I change the bus speed to
> 100MHz. I have had Windows 95 running on
> it for six months without a problem. (It is a 300A Processor).

I have an Abit BX6 and a Celery 300A o/c to 450 that's been running Win98
24x7 for a year now with no problems.  The BIOS CPU temp monitor never gets
above 100 degrees F.  Also, I just bought a Abit BP6 with dual Celery 366's
o/c'd to 550 and they have running for 4 days with a temp of < 90 degrees
F.  Both systems are very stable and very cost-effective.  The BP6 WITH the
2 CPUs, burned in and tested was < $350 US from www.sunshinestar.com and
this systems screams (1100 bogomips)!  Also, be sure and use PC100 SDRAM.

The trick, IMHO is to rip off that cheesy thermal tape on the bottom of the
heat sinks and invest $1.99 in a tube of thermal compund, available at
Radio Shack and electronic parts houses.  Get a good THIN coating of
thermal compund on the metal part of the CPU and slap the heatsinks on.
Many system errors are caused by overheated CPUs adn this really seems to
do the trick for me anyway.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1999 01:14:15 -0600
From: Eugene Blanchard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Token Ring 3c619b with Linux?

Hi

I'm having problems setting up the 3c619b card with Linux kernel 2.2.4.

The tropic ibmtr module seems to recognize okay when modprobe except it
hangs after the message "initializing and running". If I hit the enter
key, I'm back at the command prompt. I can ping the card okay but if I
ping the network I get the following messages:

Unknown command 08 in arb
Arrg Transmitter busy

The card tests fine on all diagnostic tests. I've tried 4 other cards
with the same results. I've read through all docs and the ibmtr.c source
but haven't found any clues. The linuxtr guys were no help just sead
that other people have got it working. Is there any "other people" out
there?

I'm using A20h, IRQ 9, D0000h, D8000-DBFFFh

If you have your card working, can you email me your configuration?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (M. David Allen)
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,alt.uu.comp.os.linus.questions,aus.computers.linux,comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.help,comp.realtime
Subject: Re: time measurement in milliseconds
Date: 19 Sep 1999 07:22:38 GMT

In article <7rssj5$r1c$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        "u2161474" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> hi,
>
> I am trying to measure the period of time taken to execute a program as
> accurate as milliseconds.
>
> I have looked up /usr/include/time.h & /usr/include/timebits.h header files,
> but I don't know how to use it !
>
> I don't know how to use "time_t tv_usec" in /usr/include/timebits.h ...
> please help...
>
> Thankx
>

> regards,
> Gywer

use the select() system call with all NULL arguments except the timeout
argument.

man select

--
David Allen
http://opop.nols.com/

------------------------------

From: jnettles <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Athlon Motherboard!!??
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1999 06:56:40 GMT

"C. C. McPherson" wrote:

> > I was wondering if anyone knows that will Linux work under the new
> > Athlon motherboard, such as FIC, it has UDMA66, will Linux boot? I have
> > Redhat 6 and a BX board now, plan to upgrad to Athlon 500... Thanks...
> >

> Currently there is really no reason to go to a Athlon mobo, all of them only
> have been certified for 100Mhz FSB, thus, other than the faster processor you
> really won't see a performance boost (Some of them go to 133Mhz, but haven't
> been ceritified). Wait until you get the certified 200Mhz FSB mobo's.

IBM is shipping 200 MB mobo Althions.  I saw a guy buy one in Best Buy
yesterday!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andy Ford)
Subject: S3 Trio3D 86C366
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 1999 02:59:20 -0500

I'm having trouble configuring an IBM 300PL PC that has an S3 Trio3D.
The chip part # is 86C366, which is not mentioned anywhere in any docs
that I can find.
None of the servers work. SVGA, S3, S33D, all lock up the machine
or fail to to start with a "no screens found" error.
I'm using SuSE 6.2 with the updated Xfree86 3.3.5 rpms from SuSE.
Does anyone know if a driver for this chip is under development?
If so, I'd gladly be a tester.

--
yours,
Andy

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (B'ichela)
Subject: Re: UniChip-486 WB Motherboard
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1999 02:12:38 -0400

On Sat, 18 Sep 1999 18:03:29 -0700, Jelle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I have an old 486DX, 8MB RAM and 204MB HD which I want to use with Linux. It
>has a UniChip 486 WB motherboard, with AMI UniChip Bios ver 2.0 A
>(09/27/93).
>
>When the computer starts, it reads the bootnet.img floppy I created (have to
>use FTP because no CD-Rom is available in the 486) and starts the Linux
>installation program. It indicates the following errors:
>
>hda: ST3243A, ATA DISK drive
>ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0xsf6 on irq 14
>hda : ST3243A, 204MB w/32kB Cache, CHS=1024/12/34
>Floppy drive(s): fd0 is 1.44M
>FDC 0 is an 8272A
>scsi : 0 hosts.
>scsi : detected total.
>Partition check:
> hda:hda: status error: status=0x01 { Error }
>hda: status error: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError }
>hda: drive not ready for command
>hda: status error: status=0x01 { Error }
>hda: status error: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError }
>hda: drive not ready for command
>hda: status error: status=0x01 { Error }
>hda: status error: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError }
>hda: drive not ready for command
>hda: status error: status=0x01 { Error }
>hda: status error: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError }
>hda: drive not ready for command
>ide0: reset: sucess
>unknown partition table
>
>I've tried three IDE controllers, all giving the same errors. Does anybody
>know about this problem? Can it be solved with a BIOS update? If so, do you
>happen to have a copy of this BIOS update, there's nothing I can find on the
>net...
>
>Thanks in advance!
        Ok, have you checked to be certain that the IDE drive itself
is in working order? those look like the drive itself is muffed up.
You did not mention the drive itself being tried by using another
drive in the machine or trying this drive in another machine
what are the settings in your cmos. do they match the drive's
genometry? how about the cables going to the drive?
        It is my honest opionion that you need to try out another
drive. while you are at it. get a larger unit and perhaps go to at
least 20mb of ram since you have your case open anyway. check your
cmos's battery to be sure it is fresh and if its a ni-cad. make sure
it is not leaking. if so replace it now before  you lose your
motherboard to electrolyte eating your Motherboard!)

--
                A pearl of wisdom from the y2K newsgroups:
Y2K appears to be the Baby Boomers mid-life crisis, and it has the

                        B'ichela
                        N O T E
If [EMAIL PROTECTED] don't work try [EMAIL PROTECTED]