Linux-Hardware Digest #288, Volume #14            Fri, 2 Feb 01 10:13:07 EST

Contents:
  Re: IDE HD "hdc is not a valid block device"?! (Chris)
  Re: Intel PRO 100 VE ("Arun")
  Re: Cluster SIZE for ext2... (Gunther Piez)
  Re: AVM Fritz USB Drivers for Linux (M. Buchenrieder)
  Re: Heavy IDE use freezes screen and sound card ("Flacco")
  Re: USB Zip 100 - how do I mount it? (Alan Claunch)
  Performance Technologies PT-SBS440A card - 2.4.0 kernel on SPARC (Ludo Vangilbergen)
  Total newbie needs help....bad! ("Tom Spencer")
  Looking for Linux compatible colour printer ("FEEB")
  Re: NETWORK PROBLEM (Matthias Thalhamer)
  Re: USB mouse, Kernel 2.4.0 and XFree86 4.0.1 (John)
  modem ("MIRKO GUARINO")
  Re: SCSI adapters with Linux (John)
  Re: Intel PRO 100 VE ("Goran")
  Where can I get the VooDoo2 Glide RPMs? (Ivan Samuelson)
  Re: Redhat 7.0 and SCSI, xinetd, and apm shutdown (John)
  Re: Beowulf (John)
  Re: Cluster SIZE for ext2... (John)
  Modem problems ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: USB Zip 100 - how do I mount it? (Nigel Wade)
  Re: Total newbie needs help....bad! (Chris)
  Overclock system bus (Jeff Moore)
  Re: Please help: Linux 2.2.18 SMP Crash (Toby Haynes)
  2.4.x(smp) kernel and Fibre Channel HBA's? (Steve Wampler)
  Gigabyte motherboards ("Andrew Higgs")
  Re: [drm:drm_release] *ERROR* (James Bursa)
  Re: [drm:drm_release] *ERROR* ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Gigabyte motherboards (Chris)

From: Chris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: IDE HD "hdc is not a valid block device"?!
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2001 10:08:15 +0000

p43cibmgs-Frank wrote:

> > I get a "not a valid block device" error. fdisk and fcdisk refuse to
> > even open /dev/hdc and /usr/sbin/diskdrake will only show hda!
> > Any suggestions would be appreciated..

> Have you done a mkfs.ext2 /dev/hdc1 ?

Nope, but last night I decided to reinstall from scratch (I wanted
to alter the partition structure and I`d only just reinstalled
after something nuked my partition table anyway, no gret problem.)
Now it works perfectly, I guess i had missed something obvious
after all ;)

------------------------------

From: "Arun" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Intel PRO 100 VE
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2001 10:18:40 -0000

Intel do Linux drivers in their site.
http://support.intel.com/support/swd/index.htm
However, I'm getting problems with a i815 based board: D815EEA which has
your integrated Pro100 variant, using the e100.o module (ver 1.2.1). It's
fast but not too stable with RH.

Cheese Mite!

news:zX4e6.289$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Gunther Piez <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Cluster SIZE for ext2...
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2001 11:26:19 +0100

Radix wrote:

> partition under FAT32 would use 16KB or greater...  This all equals a great
> drive waste...
> Someone said that you could select your own partition size in linux!  Is
> this true?  If so, how???

you can of course alwys choose your partition size. do you mean block
size? if so, you can choose it with the -b option in mke2fs. valid block
size values are 1024, 2048 and 4096 bytes. for a large disk consider
using the -N option, since mke2fs tends to use way to much inodes (10M
on a 80GB disk).
and of course you can use reiserfs, which wastes no space since it does
tailmerging...

system engineer                                         innominate AG
                                                 the linux architects
tel: +49.30.308806-48  fax: -77             http://www.innominate.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (M. Buchenrieder)
Subject: Re: AVM Fritz USB Drivers for Linux
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2001 07:46:37 GMT

Jose Gomez <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>I have Installed RH 7.0 and I have a AVM Fritz USB ISDN Card, does
>anybody know where I can get a driver for linux?

http://www.deja.com/home_ps.shtml is your friend

Hint: Forget it. There's no driver support from AVM for
any non-PCI device they're manufacturing. Rumours tell that
they _might_ publish a Linux driver for their external Fritz!X
box for the upcoming CeBIT, but I wouldn't hold my breath
for it, either.
Use their internal PCI card instead.

Michael
--
Michael Buchenrieder * [EMAIL PROTECTED] * http://www.muc.de/~mibu

From: "Flacco" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Heavy IDE use freezes screen and sound card
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2001 06:12:35 -0500

> hdparm -c1 -m16 -u1 /dev/hda should help.  It's the u1 that will make a
> lot of the difference.  "man hdparm" to find out more.

That seems to have done it.  Now just waiting to see if all those dire
warnings in the man pag come to pass  :-)

------------------------------

From: Alan Claunch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: USB Zip 100 - how do I mount it?
Crossposted-To: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2001 07:10:38 -0500

Phillip Deackes wrote:

> Today I bought an Iomega USB 100 Zip Drive. I am using kernel 2.4.1 on a
> Debian Unstable box. I have a VIA chipset on my motherboard running a
> Duron 800 CPU. On boot up, Linux appears to see the USB drive, and
> if I do 'cdrecord --scanbus' I get this:
>
> scsibus0:
> 0,0,0   0) 'CREATIVE' 'CD3630E  AC101  ' '1.01' Removable
> CD-ROM
> 0,1,0   1) 'PHILIPS ' 'PCRW804         ' ' 2.0' Removable
> CD-ROM
> 0,2,0   2) *
> 0,3,0   3) *
> 0,4,0   4) *
> 0,5,0   5) *
> 0,6,0   6) *
> 0,7,0   7) *
> scsibus1:
> 1,0,0 100) 'IOMEGA  ' 'ZIP 100         ' '11.V' Removable Disk
> 1,1,0 101) *
> 1,2,0 102) *
> 1,3,0 103) *
> 1,4,0 104) *
> 1,5,0 105) *
> 1,6,0 106) *
> 1,7,0 107) *
>
> I have tried mounting it as /dev/sda4, but this didn't work. If I do
> 'mount -t vfat /dev/sda4 /zip' I get this: 'mount: /dev/sda4: unknown
> device'. This happens for all combinations of /dev/sxx(x) I have tried.
>
> Any idea what I am doing wrong? The drive works fine in Windows, so I
> know it isn't a hardware problem.
>
> TIA for your help.

If you already have not, read the info at www.linux-usb.org. Also, you have
to compile in SCSI emulation into the kernel and enable USB mass storage
devices. My USB ZIP 250 works fine under Linux.
                                                        Good Luck

------------------------------

From: Ludo Vangilbergen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Performance Technologies PT-SBS440A card - 2.4.0 kernel on SPARC
Date: 02 Feb 2001 13:35:17 +0100

Hi,

Last week I tried to connect three 4Gb disks to a Debian GNU/Linux
operated SparcStation5. Though "probe-scsi-all" lists both the disks
and the SBus card, a (Performance Technologies) PT-SBS440A card at
the boot prompt, I cannot get my Linux OS to detect the hardware.

Here are the details:

   Debian GNU/Linux 2.2
   Kernel 2.4.0 (I did compile the kernel with PTI/Qlogic support)
   Architecture: SUN4M
   Type: SPARCstation 5

Has anybody been able to make Linux aware that the system contains a
PT-SBS440A card?

By the way, in a archive of a netbsd mailing list, I found some
reference to switches on the card. Could it be that I need to set some
switches before the kernel recognises the card?

Thanks for your help

--
Ludo

------------------------------

From: "Tom Spencer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Total newbie needs help....bad!
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2001 13:01:10 GMT

Hey,
I just installed Redhat 7.2 Guiness in work station mode, I think. Anyways,
it never did the GUI install...I got the blue and red screens. Then when it
was all done it restarted the computer and booted up asking me to log in..so
I logged in to the user account it had me create and it put me at the
command prompt. DOH! Now the only thing that went wrong during the install
was that it said it couldnt start or find the video or screen or something.

Im running the following video card with these settings according to
windows:

AGP NVIDIA GEFORCE 2 MX
HARDWARE VERSION: 161
MEMORY RANGE: 000A0000 - 000AFFFF
MEMORY RANGE: 000B0000 - 000BFFFF
INPUT/OUTPUT RANGE: 03B0 - 03BB
INPUT/OUTPUT RANGE: 03C0 - 03DF
INTERUPT REQUEST: 11
MEMORY RANGE: D6000000 - D6FFFFFF
MEMORY RANGE: D8000000 - DFFFFFFF
MEMORY RANGE: 000C0000 - 000CB3FF
MEMORY RANGE: D7000000 - D700FFFF

I found this on the xfree86 site

Support (accelerated) for the Riva 128, 128ZX, TNT, TNT2 (Ultra, Vanta,
M64), GeForce (DDR, 256), GeForce2 (GTS, Ultra, MX), Quadro, and Quadro2 is
provided by the "nv" driver.

I have the GeForce2 MX card.

Ok I tried runing 'linuxconf' to set it to graphics and network...it did
nothing.

When issuing the 'startx' command I get this back:
"FATAL SERVER ERROR NO SCREENS FOUND"

When I run 'Xconfigurator' It recognizes my monitor as a KDS Visual
Sensations and it knows the rates. It also finds the video card as a Nvidia
GeForce 2 Mx or compatible. But then when it trys to start the xserver it
says there is an error starting it.

HELP!

Tom

------------------------------

From: "FEEB" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Looking for Linux compatible colour printer
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2001 07:51:24 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

a customer of mine wants to use a multipurpose (fax, flatbed copier,
scanner, printer, all color) colour printer with his RH7.0 system.

Is there anything on the market, that would fulfil these requirements?

Thanks

Frank Bures, <grandial at softex.cz>

------------------------------

From: Matthias Thalhamer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: NETWORK PROBLEM
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2001 14:15:42 +0100

Hi

This will be much work if you want to do it all manualy. Most distributions
already have a tool for configuring your dial-up(du) computer and your
network computers for this. So I will just sketch the things you have to do.

You have to configure your du computer for masquerading and as a router to
the Internet.
Your Network Computers must have the IP Adresse of your du Computer as
standard gateway.

For all these things you have normally a tool of your distribution. For
further information it would be helpful if you can say which disrtribution
you are using.

------------------------------

From: John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: USB mouse, Kernel 2.4.0 and XFree86 4.0.1
Date: 2 Feb 2001 20:29:18 +0800

Peter T. Breuer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>> Neil Watson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>>> I'm pretty sure I have the right kernel config.  Yes I'm using

> How would you be sure? Do you have the hid.o module loaded? The input.o
> module? The usb-uhci.o module? The mousedev.o module? The usb-core.o
> module?

> All of those are required.

I have no modules loaded, mine works.
[summer@possum summer]$ ls /dev/mouse
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root           15 Jan 22 18:34 /dev/mouse -> /dev/input/mice
[summer@possum summer]$ ls /dev/input/mice
crw-r--r--    1 root      13,  63 Jul 26  2000 /dev/input/mice
[summer@possum summer]$

It's a heck of a good idea to check your boot-time messages. There should be something
telling you you have a trackball or intellimouse or whatever.

If those messages don't come out, you have no banana.

fwiw I can unplug mine, and plug it into the other port. It continues to work.
No need to as much as logout.

From: "MIRKO GUARINO" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: modem
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2001 13:22:10 GMT

Ciao  sono Mirko,vorrei sapere che modem Linux , versione Red Hat 6.0 o 6.2
supporta.Grazie!!!

------------------------------

From: John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SCSI adapters with Linux
Date: 2 Feb 2001 20:40:07 +0800

Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> providing specifications.  adaptec has been cooperating with linux the
> past 2-3 years so they work well now too (this wasn't always the case,
> but that is the past and this is now).

Go check the linux-scsi mailing list archives; there has been some
driver redesign in the 2.4 kernels and there are problems with some
of the fancy adaptec adaptors.

Adaptec is working on them, and they will with with 2.4 kernels.

From: "Goran" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2001 13:35:53 GMT

In article <95e1o9$799$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Arun"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Intel do Linux drivers in their site.
> http://support.intel.com/support/swd/index.htm However, I'm getting
> problems with a i815 based board: D815EEA which has your integrated
> Pro100 variant, using the e100.o module (ver 1.2.1). It's fast but not
> too stable with RH.

What's the problems you experience ?

/Goran

------------------------------

From: Ivan Samuelson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Where can I get the VooDoo2 Glide RPMs?
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2001 13:25:45 GMT

I need to recompile the VooDoo 2 Glide drivers for Linux. However,
since 3dfx sold itself to Nvidia, the Linux drivers have disappeared.

Is this the work of Nvidia? Where can I get the latest RPMs so I can
recompile the 3dfx module under kernel 2.4?

Thanks!

--
Ivan Samuelson
IT Architect II

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Redhat 7.0 and SCSI, xinetd, and apm shutdown
Date: 2 Feb 2001 21:10:43 +0800

Paul Fox <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In comp.os.linux.hardware Martin Booth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> : Also, in the old days I could disable services by hand by editing
> : inetd.conf, but the obvious root in rh7.0 is via linuxconf which doesn't
> : actually seem to change anything, is it my incorrect use of it or is
> : linuxconf very flaky?

> edit the files under xinetd.d -- change from "disable = no" to "disable = yes".
> then "/etc/init.d/xinetd reload" .

It's a very good idea, that directory. I could package a service, say pop3
daemon, and have a file install into that directory.

xinetd is automatically configured for it, there's no need to edit
inittab.

If you remove it, the file goes and there's nothing to edit this time either.

From: John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Beowulf
Date: 2 Feb 2001 21:13:50 +0800

Take yourself off to www.scyld.com

From: John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 2 Feb 2001 21:15:41 +0800

Radix <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi guys:

> Does anyone know the cluster size for the ext2 filesystem...???  Does it
doesn't use clusters. Clusters are bad.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Modem problems
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2001 14:05:04 GMT

Hi

I a Conexant HCF V90 56K Speakerphone PCI. Seeing the HCF in the name
made me assume that it wouldn't work under linux (i am running RH7) but
after looking at this site http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html I
get the impression that it could be made to work. I have downloaded two
files, HSF_V1.01.02_K2.2.14-5.0.tar and PCI_56K_V2_K2.2.14.tar.gz. The
one contained a .o file and the other contains a load of different
files. This is all very well but i don't know what to do now. I assume
the .o file is a kernel module but where do i put it and how do i get
it to load? It would be great if someone could tell me if this modem
will in fact work or if i am just wasting my time, and if it will work
how do i get linux to recognise it.

When booting i can see that linux knows something is there, it prints
something about a device called "Connexant" but it is an "unknown
device". I have made shure the /dev/modem is pointing to the correct
serial port (comm 3 in my case) and have tryed using minicom but to no
avail.

Cheers
Gareth

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: Nigel Wade <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2001 14:06:11 +0000

Phillip Deackes wrote:

> Today I bought an Iomega USB 100 Zip Drive. I am using kernel 2.4.1 on a
> Debian Unstable box. I have a VIA chipset on my motherboard running a
> Duron 800 CPU. On boot up, Linux appears to see the USB drive, and
> if I do 'cdrecord --scanbus' I get this:
>
> scsibus0:
>         0,0,0     0) 'CREATIVE' 'CD3630E  AC101  ' '1.01' Removable
> CD-ROM
>         0,1,0     1) 'PHILIPS ' 'PCRW804         ' ' 2.0' Removable
> CD-ROM
>         0,2,0     2) *
>         0,3,0     3) *
>         0,4,0     4) *
>         0,5,0     5) *
>         0,6,0     6) *
>         0,7,0     7) *
> scsibus1:
>         1,0,0   100) 'IOMEGA  ' 'ZIP 100         ' '11.V' Removable Disk
>         1,1,0   101) *
>         1,2,0   102) *
>         1,3,0   103) *
>         1,4,0   104) *
>         1,5,0   105) *
>         1,6,0   106) *
>         1,7,0   107) *
>
> I have tried mounting it as /dev/sda4, but this didn't work. If I do
> 'mount -t vfat /dev/sda4 /zip' I get this: 'mount: /dev/sda4: unknown
> device'. This happens for all combinations of /dev/sxx(x) I have tried.
>
> Any idea what I am doing wrong? The drive works fine in Windows, so I
> know it isn't a hardware problem.
>
> TIA for your help.
>
> --
> Phillip Deackes
> Using Debian Linux

Check out the Linux USB guide, particularly chapter 2:
http://www.linux-usb.org/USB-guide/c122.html

You need to ensure you have the correct drivers enabled/installed
in the kernel.

For Zip USB you need SCSI support, SCSI disk support, USB support,
a USB controller driver and USB mass storage.

I do this as modules and end up with the following modules :

scsi_mod, sd_mod, usbcore, usb-<controller> and usb-storage where
<controller> is the driver for the USB controller chip - mine
is usb-uhci. You'll need to determine which controller you have,
look in /proc/pci.

E-mail :    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Phone :     +44 (0)116 2523568, Fax : +44 (0)116 2523555

------------------------------

From: Chris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Total newbie needs help....bad!
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2001 14:07:51 +0000

To get the GeForce2 to work you need to be using XFree86 v4 and have
the nvidia kernel module installed. AFAIK RH 7.2 does not include
FX86 v4 and it certainly doesn`t have the nvidia drivers. To check
which version of XFree86 you have, as root type

rpm -q XFree86

if that doesn`t show version 4 then you`ll need to download it from
the XFree86 site and install it yourself. The nvidia kernel module
and GL libs are available from
http://www.nvidia.com/Products/Drivers.nsf/Linux.html
You`ll probably need to download the source rpms or tarballs and
compile a version yourself as there isn`t a RH 7.2 specific binary
rpm on there. Follow the install FAQ on the nvidia site to the
letter and you should be able to get X working.

BTW: If you`re a total newbie I really, really, really would suggest
that you drop RedHat in favour of Linux Mandrake 7.2. IMO LM7.2 is
far easier to set up and use than RedHat. It is possible to install
XFree86 v4 as part of the installation step (choose "Expert", it`s
not really all that different than "Custom") and installing the
latest NVidia kernel module is a two command job.

Chris

------------------------------

From: Jeff Moore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Overclock system bus
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2001 08:16:41 +0000

I just bought some new dimms, and flashed my bios for a new hard drive,
20gb.

One of the dimms I bought is a Smart Modular Tech PC100 32mb
unregistered dimm.

Can I change my bus clock this way and it work?

Go from Cyrix PR200MMX, 75mhz X2

to Cyrix PR200MMX, 100mhz X1.5

This dimm now reads on my 75mhz bus as a 8mb, if I change my bus clock
will this make it read at 32mb?

Jeff Moore

------------------------------

From: Toby Haynes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Please help: Linux 2.2.18 SMP Crash
Date: 02 Feb 2001 09:11:57 -0500

On Fri, 02 Feb 2001, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I forgot to mention, but when the system crashes it turns it self off.
> The ACPI is not enabled.
>
> could this be a power supply problem?
> or motherboard problem?
> how can linux help in debugging it.

If the crashes occur after a specific length of idle time, make *absolutely*
sure that all the ACPI and APM features are disabled in both bios and SMP
kernel.

Check your system logs for messages which might indicate problems
(/var/log/messages is a good place to start).

If it is a set of sporadic crashes resulting in power-off, then one likely
cause is a dying power supply - if the power-good line in the ATX connector
drops below 5v it forces a power off to protect the CPU from erratic voltage
swings.

Cheers,
Toby Haynes

--

Toby Haynes
The views and opinions expressed in this message are my own, and do

------------------------------

From: Steve Wampler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: 2.4.x(smp) kernel and Fibre Channel HBA's?
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2001 07:19:35 -0700

I'm having trouble finding a Fibre Channel HBA whose drivers
work under the 2.4(smp) kernel (i686).  Has anyone gotten one
working?

What I've learned:

(1) Emulex lp8000 ("OpenSource" driver from Emulex)

     Driver doesn't build properly under 2.4 (warnings about version
     mismatches) and generates an "unsatified symbol" on init_lpfndev.
     (I'd be very interested if someone has adapted this code for 2.4!)

(2) VMIC (ISP-2200-based)

     Driver from Qlogic only sees a single LUN on the 4-LUN SAN
     sitting off our fabric switch.

     Driver from UNH (part of the kernel distribution) appears to
     hang in the interrupt handler, locking out all other interrupts
     and forcing a system reboot. (I've had problems building the
     driver as a module with a kernel using versioning, so I may have
     introduced a problem here...See the I-5526 comments, below.)

     Driver from Feral software comes the closest - it loads,
     sees, and accesses all the LUNs correctly, but panics the
     kernel when access to a LUN is shared with another machine
     (an absolute requirement for our application).

(3) Interphase 5526

     I don't have this card, but have the exact same problems building
     the "stock" driver as I do with the Qlogic driver supplied with
     the kernel.  Both build, but generate unsatisfied symbols on
     register_fcdev, unregister_fcdev, and init_fcdev.  I can build
     both if I turn off versioning in the kernel, but would love to
     understand what the problem with versioning is!  Can't test the
     5526 to see if it also hangs in the interrupt handler.

If anyone has a working set up, would you let me know what that
set up is and what you had to do to get it working?

Thanks!

--
Steve Wampler-  SOLIS Project, National Solar Observatory

From: "Andrew Higgs" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Gigabyte motherboards
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2001 16:30:47 +0200

Hi all,

I have been out of the hardware thing for quite some time now. Any thought s
on what are good mbs. I am wanting to go with a Thunderbird processor and
was wondering what anybody thought of Gigabyte mbs. Do they still make aa
AMD based mb.

Any thoughts, gratefully recieved.

Kind regards
Andrew Higgs

------------------------------

From: James Bursa <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: [drm:drm_release] *ERROR*
Date: 02 Feb 2001 14:37:25 +0000

Dirk Engel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> my Rage 128 stops working under OpenGL after a few seconds (i.e.
> xlock-mesa -mode gears). In xterm I get "Error: Rage 128 timed out ...
> exiting".
> Syslog: "Kernel: [drm:drm_release] *ERROR* Process 788 dead, freeing
> lock for context 3"
>
> Does anyone know what to do?
>
> Hardware: ATI Rage 128 AGP, AMD K6-2, Chipset ALI M1541
> Kernel  : 2.2.18 and 2.4.1 tested with X 4.0.2

I've got a similar problem with my Rage 128 and X 4.0.2. Any GL
programs stop responding after a few seconds, and start taking over
90% of processor time. Also, the screen blanks and X stops responding,
so I have to kill the program remotely. This makes the machine usable
again, but there's some corruption in the virtual terminals, and some
bitmaps are corrupted too.

This used to work on my machine with an earlier X, so I guess it's a
software bug, not a hardware problem. Is there a list of known bugs
somewhere?

James

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2001 14:43:08 GMT

In comp.os.linux.x James Bursa <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Dirk Engel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>> my Rage 128 stops working under OpenGL after a few seconds (i.e.
>> xlock-mesa -mode gears). In xterm I get "Error: Rage 128 timed out ...
>> exiting".
>> Syslog: "Kernel: [drm:drm_release] *ERROR* Process 788 dead, freeing
>> lock for context 3"
>>
>> Does anyone know what to do?
>>
>> Hardware: ATI Rage 128 AGP, AMD K6-2, Chipset ALI M1541
>> Kernel  : 2.2.18 and 2.4.1 tested with X 4.0.2

> I've got a similar problem with my Rage 128 and X 4.0.2. Any GL
> programs stop responding after a few seconds, and start taking over
> 90% of processor time. Also, the screen blanks and X stops responding,
> so I have to kill the program remotely. This makes the machine usable
> again, but there's some corruption in the virtual terminals, and some
> bitmaps are corrupted too.

> This used to work on my machine with an earlier X, so I guess it's a
> software bug, not a hardware problem. Is there a list of known bugs
> somewhere?

> James

http://sourceforge.net/bugs/?group_id=387

If the bug you mentioned isn't on the list, please add it (or check with
the dri-devel mailing list)...  Check out:

http://dri.sourceforge.net

for more info.

Adam

------------------------------

From: Chris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Gigabyte motherboards
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2001 14:41:50 +0000

> on what are good mbs. I am wanting to go with a Thunderbird processor and
> was wondering what anybody thought of Gigabyte mbs. Do they still make aa
> AMD based mb.
>
> Any thoughts, gratefully recieved.

AFAIK they do. Have a look on AMD`s site, they have a section on
recommended mbs with links to manufacturers. Although I`d recommend
an ABit over the GA - have a look on Tom's Hardware before you make
any choices though.

Chris