  Re: Winmodem or no?? (DaZZa)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: which distribution package do you recommend?
Date: 28 Jan 1999 09:38:50 GMT

M. Wimmer ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: Hi!

: I collected some general information about linux on the internet, but I must
: admit, that I am a 100% newbie in this field. I would like to "learn by
: doing" about this powerful operating system.
: Can you recommend a distribution package?
: It should cost less than about 20 Euros.
: It should be run off my second, smaller SCSI - HD (Controller NCR C810 is
: supported).
: It must support my Diamond Stealth 64 DRAM graphics card and Panasonic CR
: 581-M CD-ROM drive.
: Maybe there is a package with a very comfortabel user interface?
: I am a medium experienced USER of Windows 95.

: Best regards and many thanks for your suggestions

Check out: http://www.linux-mandrake.com

------------------------------

From: Kai Poitschke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.misc,de.comp.os.unix.linux.misc,alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: AHA3940U and Linux 2.2.0
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 23:38:53 +0100

Torsten Janke wrote:

> I have downloaded, compiled and installed the kernel version 2.2.0, but
> when booting the machine hangs when detecting the scsi devices.
>
> My machine configuration is a dual PentiumPro board with the Adaptec
> AHA-3940U/UW scis adaptor and the following devices:
> Channel A : Seagate ST43400N
> Channel A: Seagate ST410800N
> Channel B: HP354880A (DAT)
> Channel B: Pioneer DR-U10X (CDROM)
> Channel B: Iomega Jaz 1GB
>
> The kernel detects the 3940 scsi adaptor but then the following happens:
>
> scsi 2: 2 hosts
>     Vendor: (first harddisk)
>     Type: ....
> Detected scsi disk sda at scsi0, channel 0, id1, lun 0
>     Vendor: (second disk)
>     Type: ...
> Detected scsi disk sdb at scsi0, channel 0, id 2, lun 0
> scsi: aborting command due to timeout: pid 9, scsi1, channel 0, id 0,
> lun 0 Test Unit Ready 00 00 00 00 00
>
> Then tha machine hangs. Interestingly there is no device at id 0 on the
> scsi1.
> Under kernel 2.0.36 everything works fine.
> Maybe somebody can help?
>
> Torsten

Sorry,
I can't help you, but this is exactly what happened on my box.
I have a dual PII box with an AHA7890 controller onboard and a additional
AHA2940 PCI controller.
all works fine until the AHA2940 is initialized. I have only an SCSI Tape
on this controller, nothing else. All disks are connected to the 7890.
I'm running also an AHA2940U on a single processor box without a problem.
Also Kernel 2.0.36 works ok with this configuration.

Your not alone.

Kai

--
Unix, WinNT and MS-DOS.  The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.
Kai Poitschke       MailTo:kai.poitschke[at]computer.org

------------------------------

From: Oleg Krivosheev <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Packard Bell Audio drivers ???
Date: 27 Jan 1999 17:09:19 -0600

Hi, All

i put my hands on the huge combined modem/sound card,
which was called Packard Bell audio. While the modem part is
pretty standard - Rockwell chipset, 28.8k, works fine
with linux, i want to get the sound out of that beast.

There are two big chips - one is
Aztech 2316 and second is Crystal Sound 4231.

So the questions are:

- what is it? i think it's remarked Aztech
  so-called audtel card (mm 3000???)

- is there any way to force it to work with Linux?
  (kernel 2.0 or 2.2)

thanks a lot in advance

OK

ps sound works with it's packard bell drivers in W95

------------------------------

From: jan schrik <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.binaries.warez.linux,alt.comp.linux.isp,alt.linux,alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.dial-up,alt.uu.comp.os.linux,alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions,aus.computers.linux,comp.os.linux.help,eit.mirror.redhat-list,linux.redhat.install,linux.redhat.misc,linux.redhat.ppp,linux.redhat.rpm
Subject: Re: Modem...help - multitech Modem
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 16:00:10 +0100

Hi Ken
A PCI modem card is one which inserts into a PCI-bus slot on the motherboard
of a PC. On the net, it's claimed by some
(but not all) that Linux doesn't support PCI modems. Of course if it's a
Winmodem or if the interface doesn't emulate a serial
port, it's not supported. All PCI modems that I've seen for sale state the
Windows is required. After you install a PCI
modem, look at /proc/pci and if you see an IRQ and an I/O address that is
under 0xFFFF ??, then it might work OK. If
instead of an I/O address you see a high memory address, it probably works by
shared memory which is not supported by
Linux. The fact that some people have gotten PCI modems to work under Linux
indicates that it's possible in some cases.
The only remedy: never use a PCI modem, they mostly are winmodems that only
function well under windows as they emulate a lot in software. see for
details http://howto.linuxberg.com/LDP/HOWTO/Modem-HOWTO.html

enjoy
Jan

"Kenneth W. Bell" wrote:

> I'm trying to set up a Multitech MT5634ZPX-PCI modem under RedHat 5.2. I
> can't get Linux to see the modem.
>
> My Windows 98 Modem settings are:
>
> COM 5
> IRQ 12
> ADDRESS 1000
> UART NS 16550 AN
>
> I used the "setserial" command to setup a /dev/ttsy4 so I would have a
> COM5 available under Linux and had no luck. I also used the mknod command
> to add the device. The device is shown when I use the "ls -1 /dev/ttys*"
> command.
>
> I setup minicom for dialing out and I get errors saying device is locked.
>
> My Modem is not a "winmodem" it has its own on board processor, but it
> doesn't have jumpers...could this be a problem ?
>
> If anyone has any Ideas I'd appreciate the help
>
> Thanks!
>
> Ken
>
> Linux is great but this dial up setup sucks!!!...help!

discoveries, is not "Eureka!" (I found it!) but "That's funny ..."
-- Isaac Asimov

J.H. Schrik
IOC-dokumentatie
Gak Nederland bv
Postbus 8300
1005 CA Amsterdam
tel: +206872545
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.gak.nl

------------------------------

From: Lee Wei Shun <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Problems mounting ZIP drive
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 10:28:45 +0800

Do a fdisk /dev/hdd
You should be able to see the partitions
The partition you require should be on partion 4

i.e. /dev/hdd4

and not /dev/hdd1 like other Hard Disks.

Rgds.

Wei Shun

--
"It's still ludicrous that nobody's ever made a run at us by making UNIX
 a popular platform on PCs.  It's almost too late now."  -- Steve Balmer

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Brush)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.os2.setup.misc,comp.os.os2.comm,comp.os.os2.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: 3COM sells crippled modems (was  3COM "support" (was: any voice
capable/fax modem software for use in warp4?))
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 19:26:30 -0500

**: No one should ever buy a product from USR/3COM. They have leaped
**: headfirst into Gate's ass and are even building a facility in Redmond,
**: right next door, where they will develop proprietary product for
**: Microsoft Windows only. Screw them, there are plenty of options.

**There are plenty of options, such as buying a REAL modem, like the
**USR/3COM Courier modem.  It's about $200-$250 almost everywhere.
**That's a damn sight more expensive than the $50-$60 a typical
**Winmodem sells for at retail.  I don't buy analog modems very often
**any more, but when I do, I buy Couriers.

Excuse me, but $50 to $60 is a standard price for a lot of very good
modems that are not winmodems. That makes a courier about 4 to 5 times
the cost of a v.90 modem. Couriers are overpriced, overrated pieces of
fluff. No need to spend $250 for a modem, ever, never, no way.

USR does not deserve anyone's money. Period

John

///////////////////////////////////
Government of The People
By Thy People, and
For The People
Has perished from this earth
Who is gonna tell Mr. Lincoln?
////////////////////////////////////

------------------------------

From: xxx <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: Linux with CL Banshee video card
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 12:17:55 +0100

Jean-Luc Duriez wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Has anyone out there managed to have RedHat Linux 5.2 (or another
> distribution) work with a Creative Labs 3D Banshee (PCI) video card ?
> I cannot find a correct setup to start X on my machine.
> (of course this new card is not listed under Xconfigurator).
>
> Linux installed itself fine and runs Ok in text mode :-(
>
> Please reply to my email address [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> Jean-Luc

  Hello Jean-Luc,
there's an alpha version of xfree that support Banshee video cards.
You can found it at http://glide.xxedgexx.com/status.html .
I'm trying to download it but the connection is very slow.
Regards

Stefano

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Brush)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.os2.comm,comp.os.os2.misc,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.os2.setup.misc
capable/fax modem software for use in warp4?))
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 19:38:10 -0500

**Courier ALWAYS drops the connection.  I thought it'd be able to deal
**with line noise better than that.  I probably should have just
**bought the less expensive Sportster.

Have you tried setting the S10 register to something like 200. This is
a timeout number during which the modem will maintain the connection
in the event of noise like picking up the phone. I think its in
milliseconds (don't kill me if I am wrong) and do not set it to 255 or
the modem will not hang up.

Worth a try, as it helped me.

Regards,

John

///////////////////////////////////

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jerry Lapham)
Subject: Re: Cheapest Linux "Hardmodem"?  Less than $55.95?
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 17:19:55 -0500

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, on 01/27/99
   at 08:07 PM, d s f o x @ c o g s c i . u c s d . e d u (David Fox)
said:

> Can anyone find a better price than $55.95 on a modem listed as working
> with Linux on http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html, or otherwise
> known to be compatible?  At www.buycomp.com I found the Best Data #56SF
> for $55.95.  Its not "V.90", is that important?  Test your
> surfing/shopping skills!

To use a "56K" modem for anything above 33.6K, it must be compatible with
what your ISP is using.  If your ISP supports only X2, you'll need an X2
or X2/V.90 modem.  If they've upgraded to V.90, you can also use a
K56flex/V.90 modem.  If they ony support K56flex, you'll need a K56flex or
K56flex/V.90 modem.  If they have upgraded, you can also use an X2/V.90
modem.

If your ISP supports X2 (or X2 and V.90), check out www.egghead.com and
see if they still have Cardinal Connecta Model 3440 X2 modems for $40.
They have jumpers and work fine with OS/2 and Linux.  The only drawback is
that it's not certain whether you'll be able to get the flash upgrade to
V.90.  I don't consider that a problem because one of my ISP's POPs is
still X2 and another, which has been upgraded, still connects with my X2.

    -Jerry
Jerry Lapham, Monroe, OH
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Written Thursday, January 28, 1999 - 05:19 PM (EST)
MR/2 Ice tag:  I have enough trouble single-tasking!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stephen E. Halpin)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: linux max RAM is 1GB?
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 10:53:24 GMT

On Tue, 26 Jan 1999 14:59:28 -0800, Mark Ramos <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I am trying to bring Linux into our environment at work along side some
>Sun Ultra's and Enterprise systems but I became disappointed to hear
>that Linux only supports up to 1GB of RAM?  That is unfortunate when
>Linux is trying to penetrate the enterprise server market and can't keep
>up with the big guys?  I am not putting Linux down as I am a very big
>Linux advocate but if I am to compare linux head-to-head with other UNIX
>servers then what am I supposed to say?  Even the Sun Ultra-2's support
>up to 2GB RAM and that is limited by hardware in the small footprint
>case.  We have Enterprise 4000 systems that have 8GB of RAM.  And I know
>that isn't the limit in Solaris.  The systems we are ordering are dual
>Xeon 450's in an Intel MS440GX motherboard.  I know the board can handle
>2GB too.  Is there a reason why it can't > 1GB and does anyone know of
>future support?

Check the Linux sites for information about Alpha and UltraSPARC
solutions to see if its really 64-bit clean.  As for Intel, the
Xeon line of processors can physically address 64GB of memory.
Given that Linux uses a flat address space model for processes,
you could in theory support a number of concurrent 4GB processes
in memory on a 64GB machine if the operating system were modified.
Given that there are very few Intel boxes that support more than
2GB of memory, and a questionable set of tasks that would require
a significant number of concurrent 4GB processes, its probably not
worth the effort, particularly if the 64-bit boxes could handle it
without extensive kernel changes.

As for trying to compare Linux to enterprise systems, its no where
near that league, and likely will not be for a long time to come.
Both Linux and FreeBSD have proven themselves in the low end
server market, and even enterprises use a lot of small servers.
If you need a system which is supports full hot swap, tens to
potentially hundred of gigabytes of RAM, 64 or more processors,
partitioning, process migration, online upgrades, checkpointing,
advanced scheduling, massive IO, or other features which were
once limited to the mainframe space, Linux is not for you at
this time.

>Thanks,
>
>Mark Ramos
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]

-Steve

------------------------------

From: "Cameron Gary" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: HP laserjet 3100 from linux
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 02:42:40 GMT

Eric,

Yeesh, thats a good question.  Heres my educated guess.  The Linux machine
would have to send a print file in exactly the right format that the Windows
95 PC is expecting.  That is how the Windows 95 peer-to-peer situation
works.  The printer, as far as I know, does not use any of HP's traditional
printer-control languages, so any of the HP LaserJet Linux drivers would not
work.

Samba would be the best (and proably only) bet for such an arrangement, if
it would work at all.

Thanks,

Cameron

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jerry Lapham)
Subject: Re: Rockwell V.90 modem won't work
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 17:48:22 -0500

   at 11:41 PM, UknoWho <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

>      I have a an internal Rockwell 56K V.90 modem running on my PCI bus.
> My machine is set up to dual boot either Win98 or Linux (Red Hat 5.2).
> In Windows, the modem works fine, but it runs on IRQ 11. However, in
> Linux it does not respond.  I looked in the file /proc/pci and it said
> that a serial cotroller on IRQ was unrecognized.  I(t is on COM 2)
> Envoking the command setserial /dev/ttyS1 shows that the uart is
> unknown.  I tryed changing the IRQ on the port, but nothing has worked.
> The way I am testing it is running minicom.  The modem won't
> intitialize.  And yes, I did link the ttyS1 to /dev/modem, but nothing
> is woking.  I don't want to go out and buy another 56k modem.  Any ideas
> to a possible solution??  Post and e-mail a response if posible. Thanks

It displays all the symptoms of a "winmodem", which means it won't work
under anything but Windows.

    -Jerry
Jerry Lapham, Monroe, OH
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Written Thursday, January 28, 1999 - 05:48 PM (EST)
MR/2 Ice tag:  Clinton Administration: All lies, all the time.

------------------------------

From: "TURBO1010" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Supported Modems
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 15:04:56 -0800

I user a SupraExpress 56i Sp V.90, and it works fine with my linux.  Just
have to get the right init string for it, and works like a charm, no
problems here.

------------------------------

From: David Kirkpatrick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 21:45:27 +0000

For Reference I have a Rockwell based 56K V.90
modem working with no problems.  I think COM2 int3,
on cua1.  Why are you linking to or from ttyS1? I
did not have to do anything for use in Linux, minicom or PPP and
the same for NT RAS PPP dialup.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ("Martin King")
Crossposted-To:
linux.redhat.development,linux.redhat.misc,alt.os.linux,alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: OPL3-SA3 soundboard question
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 18:44:13 -0800

try setup, then sndconfig and from this is easy. Mine
is working well.

*** Posted from RemarQ - http://www.remarq.com - Discussions Start Here (tm) ***

------------------------------

From: DaZZa <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Winmodem or no??
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 13:48:16 +1100

On Thu, 28 Jan 1999, Charlie Vigue wrote:

> > Not Really.......
> > There are just too many vague generalities and too many combinations.
> > Its more like a specification than a standard.
>
> Do you have any idea what ANSI stands for?

American National Standards Institute.

However, ANSI "standards" are more de-facto standards as opposed to
de-jure ones like IEEE or ISO.

They just came into common useage because America was at the forefront of
early computer useage, and people just continued to use them because it's
easier than changing.

DaZZa