From: "Norm" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Any Experiences with Supermicro 370DLE?
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2001 12:44:27 -0800

At first glance, looks like what I need in a server board,
ServerWorks ServerSet III LE Chipset, plan to add two PC133
ECC registered 256M DIMMs.

Has anyone had good/bad/mediocre experiences with this board
running Linux (2.4.x or late 2.2.xx)?  Any incompatabilities?
Tips?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark Bratcher)
Subject: Re: no login
Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2001 20:51:48 GMT

On Sat, 3 Feb 2001 19:49:36 +0100, Harald Gillwald <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>My suse 6.2 work correct. Samba runs good and apache too. But I can't login
>at the machine. The monitor and the led "num" on keyboard are blinking it
>goes at one second steps on out on out on out and so on. With telnet is no
>problem to login, but not at the machine.
>
>Please, please, please help.
>Who knows the problem or who can fix it?
>
>Harald

Harald,

What is your telinit level set to at the console? (login with telnet
and look at /etc/inittab, the line starting with "id:x" where x is a number.
That number is the init level). If it is 5, then perhaps X is having
trouble starting. If you set this number to 3, you should be able to
login in text mode.

--
Mark Bratcher
To reply, remove _UNSPAM from my email address

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rod Smith)
Subject: Re: linux printer suggestion please??
Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2001 21:08:19 GMT

[Posted and mailed]

In article <3a7b57b0$0$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        "MSTR Newsgroup Server" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Hi,
>
> I've been using a linux machine at work and like the funtionality I get with
> our PostScript capable printer we have.  I like to use such utilities such
> as a2ps that output in PostScript.
>
> Now, I want the same functionality in a home Linux printer.  Can anyone
> please point me to a Linux printer that can support this.  Also, I was
> wondering if there was one out there that supports duplex printing.
>
> So, in Summmary, looking for a linux printer that at least supports:
> 1)  PostScript
> 2)  Duplex Pinting
> 3)  Anything else anyone think is a must?  I'm new to this.

Others have pointed out that Linux can use Ghostscript to provide
PostScript functionality even on non-PostScript printers, and that
duplexing and PostScript features tend to be fairly expensive. Chances
are you won't find a printer with both features for much less than
$1000, except perhaps used or in a closeout bin somewhere. One drawback
to using Ghostscript is that printing tends to be a bit slow,
particularly on laser printers -- Ghostscript converts all information
to a bitmap, which takes a while to pass over a cable to the printer.
This isn't too big of a deal for a low-end laser printer (say, 6 ppm or
less), but it can become a limiting factor for faster printers, which
may be capable of printing faster than their parallel-port interfaces
allow when fed bitmaps.

FWIW, I've got an HP 4000, which I believe is pretty similar to today's
HP 4050. It's a nice printer, with a duplex option (which I don't have).
This model supports both PCL 6 and PostScript Level 2 (although it's not
a genuine Adobe PostScript interpreter -- it's a PostScript clone).

I recently chatted with somebody who said he bought a Xerox model with
PostScript and duplexer on closeout from an Egghead site for a pretty
low price, and he was happy with it. I don't know precisely what model
it was or whether they're still available, but it might be worth trying
to find them. Also, buy.com sometimes has good deals on discontinued
equipment -- I bought a Lexmark Optra 40 color PostScript inkjet
printer from them for less than $100 a few months back.

--
Rod Smith, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.rodsbooks.com

------------------------------

From: "Norm" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ECC hw support
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2001 13:10:54 -0800

A rather easier to use table showing ECC support for various chipsets
is at the Linux ECC page at http://www.anime.net/~goemon/linux-ecc/

news:954qpl$19uq$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2001 13:35:33 -0800
From: Anthony Ewell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.redhat
Subject: MS-6120 and Red Hat 7

Hi All,

    If you are running Red Hat 7.0 and MSI's MS-6120
Dual Pentium II/III motherboard with Bios V1.9, Red
Hat 7.0 will only correctly register the first 64 MB of
your memory.  To work around it, place the "append"
statement into /etc/lilo.conf and rerun "lilo".  Mine looks
like this ("#" sign is a comment mark):

boot=/dev/sda5
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
#append="mem=131072K"
append="mem=262144K"
prompt
timeout=50
message=/boot/message
linear
default=linux

Also, there is a bios V1.9b2 (beta 2) kicking around out
there.  It messes up Advansys scsi cards at boot when
you are running the SMP kernel.  I don't know if it
registers memnory correctly.

  Other than that, the motherboard is excellent!

--Tony

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Samir Moulay)
Subject: KT7-RAID and linux (help)
Date: 3 Feb 2001 22:35:54 +0100

Hi,
I am trying to install RedHat 7.0 on my PC but I encountered some
troubles (I also tried RedHat 6.2, Corel and Mondrake an all refuse to
install on the machine).
When I choose any kind of install (custom, server ….) Linux pop a
message saying that he can’t find the media to install on.
So I am stuck at this point.
Does Linux support RAID (I don’t need it cause I have only one HDD –
it’s an AATA100 plugged in ide 3 on the KT7-RAID board-).
Is there anything that I can do ?
Do I need to install some drivers ?

Posted from field.videotron.net [205.151.222.108]

From: "Ahmed" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Mounting Win 2000 in Linux.
Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2001 21:42:23 GMT

Hello, I have windows 2000 Prof. Edition and My hard drive is shared, I
would like to know if I can mount the file system (FAT 32 I didn't change it
to NTFS (At least not yet) ) onto my linux computer running RH 6.2. If you
can provide me with this information I would greatly appreciate it....
Thanks

Ahmed

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: cannot dial modem through ttySx
Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2001 21:55:49 GMT

Darren Davison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> thanks for the response.

> That's the point though, not having used minicom before, I don't see how
> to send commands directly to the modem.  None of the menu options

You type.

> suggest a method, and typing commands directly into the main part of
> minicom's screen produced no result either.  Of course this could very

Then your modem does not work. End of story.

> well prove that my serial port is simply not passing the info to the
> modem - hence no result, but when I use minicom's menu commands to
> reset/hangup/initialize, I see the modem lights flicker or light up
> suggesting that *something* is getting through.

Yep, but apparently not enough. Looks like your wiring is messed, or
the port is, or the modem is. Your move.

At least you confirmed that you started minicom on the right port!
(Did you check what the serial port was set to in minicom?)

Peter

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: TVCapture98 sound problem: MSP34xx @ 0x80... not found
Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2001 22:25:31 +0100

Hi,

I have an Avermedia TV98 Capture card with NICAM  and an Intel D815EEA
Motherboard.

I have tried many versions of bttv and several capture programs.
Although the video works
fine, I get no sound.

The sound chip of the capture card is the msp3410. It seems that  bttv
does not find it.
In /var/log/messages:
bttv0: i2c: checking for MSP34xx @ 0x80... not found

Any hint?

thanks, Luis

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: dell 300 server blows vga on 2.2.*
Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2001 22:05:59 GMT

Peter T. Breuer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Chris Ripp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> recompile the kernel *not* to use framebuffer console? Just use a std. vga
>> console. If I understand that's what's going on here is it's using fb mode

> My guess also. I'll try that next (it wasn't smp in itself - I tried a
> uniprocessor kernel - still get txt consoles filled with little
> rectangles and multiple hazy images under VGA16).

Yep .. disabling all mention of framebuffer in the kernel config fixes
the vga. Now I have

 CONFIG_VGA_CONSOLE=y
 CONFIG_VIDEO_SELECT=y
 # CONFIG_FB is not set

Before it was

 CONFIG_VGA_CONSOLE=y
 CONFIG_VIDEO_SELECT=y
 CONFIG_FB=y
 CONFIG_DUMMY_CONSOLE=y
 CONFIG_FB_ATY=y
 CONFIG_FB_VESA=y
 CONFIG_FB_VGA16=y
 CONFIG_VIDEO_SELECT=y
 CONFIG_FB_MATROX_MILLENIUM=y
 CONFIG_FB_MATROX_MYSTIQUE=y
 CONFIG_FB_MATROX_G100=y
 CONFIG_FB_MATROX_MULTIHEAD=y
 CONFIG_FBCON_ADVANCED=y
 CONFIG_FBCON_VGA_PLANES=y
 CONFIG_FBCON_FONTWIDTH8_ONLY=y
 CONFIG_FBCON_FONTS=y
 CONFIG_FONT_8x8=y
 CONFIG_FONT_8x16=y
 CONFIG_FONT_SUN8x16=y

and one would guess that ATY did the damage. I'll check tomorrow.

> However, I am struggling with a CL webcam go+ at the same time, so ...!!

>> instead of a plain jane vga mode.  Maybe there's a way to disable the fb by
>> passing something to lilo, I don't know.

I'll have to mention it on the kernel list.

>> "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> [snip]
>>>   fb0: ATY Mach64 frame buffer device on PCI
>>>   vga16fb: initializing
>>>   vga16fb: mapped to 0xc00a0000
>>>   fb1: VGA16 VGA frame buffer device
>>>   Detected PS/2 Mouse Port.
>> [snip]

Peter

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux on KT7-RAID
Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2001 22:15:50 GMT

Samir Moulay <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> When I choose any kind of install (custom, server .) Linux pop a
> message saying that he cant find the media to install on.

Apparantly whatever controller it's on has no support in the
installation kernel.

> So I am stuck at this point.
> Does Linux support RAID (I dont need it cause I have only one HDD

Raid doesn't need support - that's what a raid controller does!

> its an AATA100 plugged in ide 3 on the KT7-RAID board-).

Oh! dma 100 is not supported on any install kernel. Plug it in to ide
1. By default controllers greater than 2 are not checked!

> Is there anything that I can do ?
> Do I need to install some drivers ?

Yes. Later.

Peter

------------------------------

From: Steve Mills <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Ensoniq ES4815
Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2001 14:32:44 -0800

Hello,

I just installed RedHat 7.0 on a new machine.  I have a Ensoniq es4815
PCI audio card.  Anyone know if this *should* work?

Is trying the Ensoniq 1371 driver worthwhile?

What other options might there be?

I've done a deja search already, 2 other poor bastards with the same
problem, but in 2000.  Also, I tried the redhat hardware compatiblity
list.  What a joke that is.

From: "Dr. Ram Samudrala" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: Recommendations for ethernet cards and other hardware wanted...
Date: 3 Feb 2001 22:49:13 GMT

Thanks, this has been very helpful. So the SuperMicro DE6 does appear
to support AGP, which (assuming it's not cost-prohibitive) does solve
the problem of getting a well-supported motherboard under Linux with
AGP.  While I'm open to trying out the VIA motherboards (and it will
save me $100+ per box), both vendors I'm dealing with and others have
said that it's not as well well-supported under Linux and that the
Serverworks chipset is much faster.

This opinion seems to be a little more unanimous than the one about
onboard ethernet controllers being as good as the external ones (which
I've not decided yet).

I've decided to get the GeForce 2 GTS (64 MB) for the desktop video
cards (with Sony 21" monitors).  I don't like Nvidia's driver policy
(i.e., it's not free), but I am hoping it is a temporary situation.

To answer the query about talking with people who might be managing
this: I've managed clusters of over a 100 processors up till now even
though it was slowly built up. This is the first time I've had the
opportunity to start from scratch and just buy it all at once. And
since it is my (grant) money I am making sure everything is going to
work out well in the long term. If I get it up to 512 processors,
assuming it doesn't manage itself, then I just have to hire someone to
run it (but there is a systems person here who can help with hardware
problems and setting it up, etc.---I just have to design the bloody
thing).

For the record, the way it will work (and the way the other cluster I
designed worked) is that each machine will have a copy of a bare Linux
(without X, etc.). Most of our jobs are trivially parallelisable, so
they'll just be run on all the machines. They're all connected using
Black Box monitor switches.  To install a system, a CD is created with
the system as I want it which is then cloned through a single command
onto the hard drive of each machine.

Users (right now it's just me) have the option of using rsh to run on
all the boxes, or writing their own routines to communicate between
machines (if more advanced parallelisation is required).  This I've
found works better than using pvm or mpi.

In the longer term, other solutions such remote terminal access (since
the monitor switches and cables are expensive) and network based
doing some real work ASAP.

I generally prefer decentralisation over having centralisation of any
kind. There are no "servers" (our jobs in the past have managed to
bring down the best server solutions we implemented to their
knees). Each machine has a large (30 GB+) disk which will be used for
storing data. At the end (which can be as long a month) the user gets
to decide how to put it all together. In that sense, the desktops do
provide the functionality of a server, but it's up to the user on how
to integrate all the data.

The problem with this solution is to figure out what is the best disk
size to get and realising that the system disk is generally a waste of
space (16 GB appears to be the smallest disk I can get now). I prefer
Maxtor disks since they've worked very well for us.  The issue is also
whether 5200 RPM disks are good enough or whether 7200 RPM disks are
better.

In other words, since the computations are trivially parallelisable,
it's better to have 512 processors writing to 256 disks (and then
putting it together at the end with some processing which reduces the
total amount of data)  than to have 512 processors writing to, say,
16 servers.

--Ram

--
email@urls  ||  http://www.ram.org  ||  http://www.twisted-helices.com/th
 Growing up it all seems so one-sided, opinions all provided.  The future

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2001 15:22:18 -0800
From: Anthony Ewell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.redhat
Subject: Re: support for adaptec AHA-2910C scsi controller?

Hi Robin,

  If the 2910C should work with the 2910B drivers, just not
use the "C" functions.  You will have to try it to be sure.

   If it doesn't work, try a SCSI card from AdvanSys (now
connect.com) at

        http://www.connectcom.net/products/index.html

They all work very well in Linux (great linux tech support too).
Adaptec's support for open source is not so good, so don't
use the Adaptec card for anything really critical.

  Good luck!

--Tony

From: "Thomas Kæregaard" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Software RAID
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2001 00:24:07 +0100

"Andy Walker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> I currently have four old SCSI disks which I would like to use and I've
> heard that RAID0 disk striping is possible through a standard SCSI card.
> I know software RAID1 is possible now, but what about RAID0.
> The main reason is for hard disk speed. I believe that striping does
improve
> disk performance but can anyone give me an idea of how much or is it just
> waste of time trying?
> I use Mandrake 7.2 but have installed kernel 2.4.
> Thanks for any info.
If the disks are similarly sized, I'd go for RAID5 instead. That gives you
safety while still increasing speed (although less than RAID0). The risk of
one of four "old" SCSI disks crashing is considerable... I believe it is
supported as well.

When it comes to installation, I can recommend the Redhat 7 installer. It's
graphical, and it is VERY easy to use (also for configuring your RAID
array).

- Thomas Kæregaard

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: VIA apollo pro 133A
Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2001 23:54:02 GMT

> > But unless you want to get a really expensive serverworks-based
board
> > (and those aren't even fully supported in linux yet), you are stuck
> > with VIA if you want SDRAM and 133 mhz fsb.
>
> In which way are the serveworks chipset not yet fully supported? I
> ordered a SuperMicro 370DE6 last week which I intend to use for Linux.
> Will this board give me any problems?

It's been a month, did you get the Supermicro board running yet ?
Anything to report ?

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: "Cameron Kerr" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What is this:" DriveReady SeekComplete Error" ?
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2001 12:59:43 +1300

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Andreas Tretow"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi Everybody,
>
> I recently got this kernel message during boot up:
>
> Jan 31 16:42:24 locutus kernel: hdc: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady
> SeekComplete Error } Jan 31 16:42:24 locutus kernel: hdc: dma_intr:
> error=0x84 {  DriveStatusError BadCRC }
>
> Can anyone please tell me what it means and what I can do about it. Is
> this bad ? Unfortunately I have no clue.

You should tru setting the "Use Multimode by Default" option in the
kernel (I'm running 2.4.1). You'l find it in the Hard drive controller
section.

Note that this doesn't allways fix this, I've noticed.

> Andreas

--Cameron Kerr